OVH Community, your new community space.

How to Install VMware WorkSt on OVH Server

Palad1n
12-07-2008, 22:23
See this topic :

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...hlight=modules

Zoom
04-07-2008, 04:31
Any guides/tutorials on compiling your own kernel?

Palad1n
29-06-2008, 16:49
You need to re-compile your own Kernel...

the OVH kernel is very locked down....

There is no way round it...

Zoom
29-06-2008, 05:42
Hey Palad1n,
I am trying to install Virtual Box on Ubuntu 8.04 Server, but getting error because of the custom OVH kernel in use any idea on how to install it though?

Palad1n
15-06-2008, 11:52
Hyster you are spamming too by copying his SPAM.

Just click on the REPORT button, we all have eyes and can see it is SPAM.

DarkOrb
26-05-2008, 01:59
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
VMWare Server is free, and version 2 beta includes a web interface for Windows and Linux hosts however it uses a lot of resources and everyone tends to turn it off.
Ah I had not checked this myself Will be sure to have a prod around with the beta more this bank holiday

IainK
25-05-2008, 22:27
VMWare Server is free, and version 2 beta includes a web interface for Windows and Linux hosts however it uses a lot of resources and everyone tends to turn it off.

VMWare Server will install, even without modules, but you neoed to at least create the modules directory, and I've only got it to install on CentOS 5 or Debian 4 s could not confirm for Ubuntu Server 6/7/8.

Whilst Ubuntu Server is nice, it's designed as a replacement for the office server, making adding services easy via a GUI, rather than an Internet server. It's built on Debian, so no reason not to just use Debian 4.

DarkOrb
25-05-2008, 20:24
Also if you are looking for a free one, aside from virtual box there is also VMWare Server which is free to use and also doesn't need a GUI. If I remember correctly the beta of version 2 has a web interface as well (not sure if that's windows hosts only though).

Palad1n
25-05-2008, 17:30
OK,
Compiled my own Kernel from Made-in-OVH FTP server, used their config file etc.
after MAKE, did a MAKE MODULES_INSTALL, and now have /lib/modules folder.
VMware now goes past first error, but would not compile due to a known bug with Ubuntu (not officially supported as HOST). Googled and could not find a way past.

So looked at VirtualBox, downloaded .deb file and installed, rebooted, and working OK.
And its FREE!!!
Also it has a HEADLESS Mode, so you DO NOT NEED GUI/X/Desktop version.
You can install Debian 4.0/x64 and run VM's....
You can use PORT FORWARDING to open ports to the VM's but you CANNOT use any ports below 1024...!!!

So if you want to run web servers, the Linux HOST will have to PROXY requests to the VM's on ports over 1025.....

Or you can create a Virtual Interface using your Failover IP.

kayomani
24-05-2008, 01:18
You need to compile a kernel then you'll get your modules directory. Its not really possible to download them due to the design as you could have any setup on your system.

Palad1n
23-05-2008, 23:30
Hi All,

Got a Kimsufi 2008, Ubuntu 8.04 Ready to Use OVH Distro.

Want to install VMWare workstation 6.0.3 to have a little Windows XP VM.

However I need the Kernel Modules Package for vmware install to work
(See error)
root@server5:/usr/src/vmware-distrib# ./vmware-install.pl
WARNING: Couldn't open directory /lib/modules/2.6.24.5-xxxx-std-ipv4-32: No such file or directory
FATAL: Could not open /lib/modules/2.6.24.5-xxxx-std-ipv4-32/modules.dep.temp for writing: No such file or directory
Unable to open kernel module dependency file
.Execution aborted.

Does anyone know where I can download the modules folder?

Or how to make one / some way to get this working?

Cheers

Palad1n