OVH Community, your new community space.

RPS: after the iSCSI, the NFS

unclebob
04-11-2008, 17:27
Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net
Another advantage of NFS is that we can use it with 2 or 3 RPS. That means that the same NFS partition is mountable on as many RPS in parallel as you want and they are automatically identical! It is therefore possible to make RPS clusters very easily and almost automatically in 1 click. With the loadbalancing IP, you can create a cluster in a few minutes with 10 RPS.
Now *that* is cool. Can this be achieved without re-installing the RPS?

Bartus-H
03-11-2008, 20:18
Hi all

I am new to OVH, and the RPS server looks like a perfect fit for my needs.

Only thing I am trying to figure out, is how to install FreeBSD instead of one of the prepared OS-es.

From this post, I gather that installing any OS should be possible.

I did connect to the server through vKVM, and am able to install FreeBSD. However, I can't boot, since FreeBSD needs to be able to net-boot, and just chosing the hd option doesn't seem to work. I can't find any documentation how the booting process works, but from the debian installation I understand that I have to make a net-boot kernel for my OS, which needs the iSCSI login details. Am I correct?

I hope someone can give me some pointers.

If I need to ask directions in a different place, please point me in the right direction.

With kind regards,

Bart

Alister
29-05-2008, 18:29
Quote Originally Posted by Palad1n
Hi,
I am a little rusty, can you please post in English....

It seems you are doing something with Coca-Cola and Jupiter...

Good morning,
Now you can reinstall your RPS NFS
instead the iSCSI. It is in the manager, a few clicks. The
NFS resettlement is still in beta insofar as one must
work on the speed of resettlement.

If you're in the iSCSI, you can resettle in NFS. If you
're NFS, you can resettle in the iSCSI.

The comparison between iSCSI and NFS
--------------------------------------
The iSCSI is delivered on the RPS unwrought meaning that the
filesystem is made on the RPS. It can therefore install a Linux,
a Windows or FreeBSD without a problem. It also benefits the filesystem
to question the system to know ext3 or reiserfs for Linux, the NTFS
for Windows or UFS for FreeBSD. To increase space,
you have blocks in addition you must format to use them.
With Linux you / dev/sda6, 7.8 under Windows disc E:, F: and so on.

The filesystem of NFS is managed directly on the filer and is the
ZFS. The advantage of ZFS is the speed limits (no limit
number of files in a directory, or number of directories),
the automatic backup (snapshot) and easily accessible. zfs / ...
and increased volume very simple (2 seconds and you 1TB
space). By cons, Windows does not support NFS.

Another advantage is that NFS can be used with 2 or 3 RPS
see more. That is the same partition NFS is mountable
as RPS in parallel as you want and they are automatically
identical! It is therefore possible to cluster very RPS
easily and almost automatically 1 clique. With the IP loadbalancing,
you can create a cluster in a few minutes with 10 RPS.
One of RPS can be an RPS-1 and another RPS-2.

Thanks!
Alister

Palad1n
29-05-2008, 17:11
Hi,
I am a little rusty, can you please post in English....

It seems you are doing something with Coca-Cola and Jupiter...

oles@ovh.net
29-05-2008, 16:18
Good morning,

Now you can re-install your RPS in NFS instead instead of using the iSCSI in the manager, all in a couple of clicks. Re-installation in NFS is still in beta as we are still working to improve the speed of the re-installation.

If you're using iSCSI, you can re-install with NFS. If you are NFS, you can re-install with the iSCSI.

Comparing iSCSI and NFS
--------------------------------------

The filesystem on the iSCSI is made on the RPS. It can therefore be installed with a Linux, Windows or FreeBSD with no problem. We can also use other filesystems, ie ext3 or reiserfs for Linux, NTFS for Windows or UFS for FreeBSD. To increase the size of the Hard Drive, you have blocks that you have to format in order to use. With Linux you have /dev/sda6, 7.8 under Windows a disk E:, F: and so on.

The filesystem in NFS is managed directly on the filer and is ZFS. The advantage of ZFS is speed, the limitations (no limit in regards of the number of files in a directory, or number of directories), the automatic backup (snapshot) and the ease of access via /.zfs/... and the very simple way to increase of the size (in just 2 seconds and you can increase your Hard Drive size by 1TB). On the other hand, Windows is not supported on NFS.

Another advantage of NFS is that we can use it with 2 or 3 RPS. That means that the same NFS partition is mountable on as many RPS in parallel as you want and they are automatically identical! It is therefore possible to make RPS clusters very easily and almost automatically in 1 click. With the loadbalancing IP, you can create a cluster in a few minutes with 10 RPS. One of the RPS can be an RPS-1 and another RPS-2.

Regards,

Octave