OVH World Tour London

View Poll Results: Is the term "seedbox" annoying?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 27.78%
  • No

10 27.78%
  • I call them picture-viewers

1 2.78%
  • Stop being so sensitive

15 41.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Seedbox"

"Seedbox"

Does anyone else find this term annoying? Computers are amongst the best inventions humanity's ever come up with precisely because they are so useful for such a diverse range of applications, anything from creating artwork, social networks, modelling physics, composing lists of people who like pie.

That's why I whince everytime I read the term "seedbox", it's like calling a plane a "device for going to Berlin airport with" or calling a cup an "orange juice containment unit".

You can do more with a server than torrents!

SuperPlan BestOF

Re: "Seedbox"

Wth... ?
    Scientia Vincere Tenebras

Aww Im dissapointed now, I thought it was going to be a thread about plants and seed boxes (boxes which you grow seeds in ), but I guess not....hehe

I guess at the end of the day people can do what they want with their "server" (apart from stuff that doesnt fall in to OVHs Terms and Conditions).

When someone calls a server a "Seedbox" I immediately think of torrents and someone using it to simple seed torrents at maximum upload speed provided, and nothing more. So yes, I do find it annoying.
    I am NOT an OVH staff member!
    █ I am NOT a reseller! Please do not ask.

0 servers with OVH (see why here: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...let-me-explain)
    6 domains with OVH
    Windows Server Only User
    OVH Customer since Dec 2007

Tutorials and guides for Microsoft IIS 7.5
    Like testing betas? Get Windows 8 Betas plus more at BetaArchive.com

I also find this term quite annoying...

I got better things to worry about than what people their boxes.

i think of a cardboard box with seeds. heh.

MG Hybrid

I'd have to agree with Andy there. Sure the term 'box' is perfect to describe your powerhorse server housing all your web services but when I hear 'seedbox' all I think is thepiratebay.org getting faster download speeds.

SuperPlan BestOF

I have 3 Servers with ISPConfig running my little hosting company and personal websites.
    I use an old Kimsurfi with rTorrent for *cough* linux ISO's, it saves my bandwidth, time, and allows me to have locked down firewall at home.
    If all torrenters used OVH, it would not cost OVH anything as all traffic would be in between their own servers, only when the user downloads to their home PC do they use Transit Bandwidth....
    Who cares what people do with their servers.

MG Hybrid

Who cares what people do with their servers? Well with that attitude I suggest you go find a host in russia that won't care.

You realise that by accepting the terms of service you agree your server will be cut off with no refund if you are found to be doing anything illegal. Your details can also be passed on to appropriate authorities.

And have you ever downloaded a torrent with around 1000 seeds on a home line through a router? It will take a few hours before the router needs rebooting otherwise the entire connection slows to a hault.
    So you think that if *everyone* torrents on OVH their routers won't do the same? It's common sense!

And anyway piracy is a crime, and don't think you're sly with the *cough* Linux ISO's - everyone knows what that means.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast