Thread: OVH Name servers

OVH Name servers

I keep finding different answers everywhere.. so I'm confused

What should the current name servers be so that I can add a domain to my kimsufi server? This is a domain registered elsewhere, not at OVH.

Is it the following below correct?
    ksxxx.kimsufi.com where xxxxx is the server ID
    ns.kimsufi.com

If yes - how long before it appears under Hosting --> Domains so that i can manage the DNS?

I did this about 18 months ago on my other server.. but I didn't do it like this - I had different values.

Re: OVH Name servers

Hi Rilly

If the Domain is registered outside of OVH and you want to point to your server then you do:

ksxxx.kimsufi.com
    ns.kimsufi.com

If you want to manage it in the OVH Manager, then you would need to add the domain to the OVH Manager and then change the nameservers to OVH.
    Last edited by Neil; 01-02-2010 at 09:46.
    OVH UK Team

Looking for support? Contact Us

ah - that explains why I see different values in different places...

I thought it seemed weird to use ksxxx.kimsufi.com.. i guess that would be if I was running my own nameserver then..

so i want to use these then? (got them from online help)

dns13.ovh.net
    ns13.ovh.net
    Last edited by Rilly; 01-02-2010 at 14:41.

If you want to use the domain on your own server, then I recommend you use your servers DNS.

But you could use OVH's DNS, it may not be DNS13, it will be between DNS11 and DNS16. Then just change the A Record in the OVH Manager to your servers IP.

But I recommend you use your server, and use Webmin, ISPconfig, cPanel to manage it..
    OVH UK Team

Thank you for quick reply..

I do prefer to use the OVH Name servers (one less thing for me to crash with my linux n00b mistakes.). When i ran a windows server, I didn't mind risking it heh

How do I know which DNSxx (11-16) to use? when i check my nameservers in the /etc/resolv.conf file its 213.186.33.99 that is there.. but that IP isn't on the list that I see here? http://help.ovh.co.uk/NewDNSServer

Hi Rilly

When you add the domain to the OVH Manager, then login, select the domain, then Domain & DNS and DNS Servers, where it will list both of them.

Then you can go to your Registrar and change the nameservers.
    OVH UK Team

Thanks Neil..
    The domain isn't listed under DOMAINS though -only my other domain that I added awhile back.. (i used my other domain though, and saw the values listed there - hopefully thats the same? it was dns.ovh.net, and ns.ovh.net that I added to my domain registrar for the name servers).. My new domain will eventually appear under DOMAINS then right?

edit: this is very confusing.... so many different help pages and OVH Manager pages have different values to enter in my registrar for a domain server..
    Last edited by Rilly; 02-02-2010 at 22:03.

Hi

Rilly, you should be able to add the domain with the following link:

https://www.ovh.co.uk/managerv3/gen-...der.xsl&csid=0

If not, click on 'More Services' and 'Order a new domain or a domain transfer', just just go through the process and on the last page just select 'redirections'.

Then your new domain will be in there with the nameservers, that will most likely be dns16.ovh.net and ns16.ovh.net
    OVH UK Team

Thanks! the part I was missing was selecting "activate emails and redirections".... I was selecting a different option. Its there now.