OVH Community, your new community space.

compiler kernel debian in order to run virtualbox

boistordu
25-04-2015, 13:24
I had to install in proxmox....

boistordu
21-04-2015, 10:44
Quote Originally Posted by Careimages
This is my kernel

3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.65-1+deb7u2 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Are you intalling Virtualbox from the Debian repository though?

By the way, I'm not running virtualbox any more as having tried it out I went with Proxmox as a better virtualisation solution on servers.
i'm trying to install from the repository yeah. the server crash at the starting of the module (during installation when it has registered the modules).
I'm thinking about a hardware problem or incompatibility? i'm in a so you start solution by the way.
So you have installed the proxmox vps solution? Maybe I should do that also...

Careimages
21-04-2015, 02:54
This is my kernel

3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.65-1+deb7u2 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Are you intalling Virtualbox from the Debian repository though?

By the way, I'm not running virtualbox any more as having tried it out I went with Proxmox as a better virtualisation solution on servers.

boistordu
20-04-2015, 19:14
Quote Originally Posted by boistordu
okey so you are using the 3.2 kernel? 3.2.0.4 i think it is? or did you modify something?
by the way if i try to install the modules with the 3.2 debian kernel... at starting virtualbox kernel modules the server stop to respond...

boistordu
20-04-2015, 18:18
Quote Originally Posted by Careimages
I've run virtualbox but I used the standard Debian release kernel without problems.
okey so you are using the 3.2 kernel? 3.2.0.4 i think it is? or did you modify something?

Careimages
10-04-2015, 18:41
I've run virtualbox but I used the standard Debian release kernel without problems.

boistordu
10-04-2015, 16:10
nobody had needed to install virtualbox?

boistordu
03-04-2015, 20:07
hi,

as stated in the subject of my post. I want to modify the kernel of my debian server 7.8 from so you start in order to install virtualbox. since when it comes to computer science or IT I'm a bit obsessed by solve any problems and not by bypassing it I would like that you answer is related to modify ther kenel and not to propose me another solution like docker.

Anyway, first i have some questions . It seems that there are different kind of reboot. The one from the management interface which reboot my server on the ovh kernel 3.19 and the one that I can order by ssh (shutdown -r now or reboot) which reboot on the default kernel from debian 3.2. Have anybody any idea about that?

Now the problem... I followed several tuto like : http://antoine.hordez.fr/2012/10/14/...ntos-rhel-6-3/
http://fr.wikitwist.com/ovh-compiler...#axzz3Vfu6Ud1z
https://jrialland.wordpress.com/2011...vh/#comment-58

nothing work. I have no problem to recompile the kernel, no error at all but I can't launch the server on my kernel. I 've tried to manually delete all kernels except mine, to change the order of the script in /etc/grub.d/ it is like the server don't take knowledge of any changes. Since all these tuto are a bit old, does someone have any ideas about that subject?
the technical support don't answer to me.

thanks in advance.