We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

EcoSalle


Andy
20-03-2008, 15:36
Translation from google:


Hello,
To reduce the power consumption associated with a dedicated server, we
Working on the hardware but also on the datacentre. In the past,
This work has allowed to develop, for example, the system
Liquid cooling now that we use since 4ans. Considering
Qu'Ovh is transparent in all, we have announced and this has caused
A great mistrust on the part of our customer and losses at
Sales. Today no one can call into question our
Infrastructure liquid cooling. Rather, it allows
Reduce power consumption by 30% through the air conditioning that
We no longer needs.

In 2007/2008, we made a few brief announcements on our work
On datacentres. Also, our customers have told us that they are
Now ready to listen to the innovations we put in place,
The industrial context of our datacentre, the need for high reliability
And especially the aim to reduce power consumption.

As our customers seem to be more open to the ecology, here is a
Ad in one of the innovations under way. Let's see if
Ecology truly becomes equally important that seems to read ...

Ovh develops a new innovation: "EcoSalle."

In a traditional datacentre, cold to cool
The server is produced by the air conditioning. The energy required to
These air conditioners is equivalent to the energy required to make
Run the server. The total energy to run a server
Is twofold!

In a datacentre "ovh 1st generation" (since 2004), 40% cold
Needed is manufactured with air conditioning. The remaining 60%
Heat is discharged through the liquid cooling, which requires no
Virtually no energy (a few pumps and that's all). Energy
Total is thus x1.4 power of a server. We save
So about 30% of the energy compared to a traditional datacentre.
The prices of our dedicated servers reflect this difference.

In a datacentre "Ovh 2nd generation, we use more
Air conditioning in the room. 60% of heat is still evacuated
By the cooling fluid, as in the 1st generation datacentre.
The remaining 40% is cooled with outdoor air (simply).
For regular air temperature, we have developed a
System of automatic temperature control (PLC)
Allows warm air (if it's too cold) or cool (if
It is too hot). To heat the air (if it is too cold) we
Use the hot air out of the room (just). For
Cool the air (if it is too hot) we use the cold storage
In the form of ice in huge tanks buried under the
Land adjacent to the datacentre. In normal operation, in Northern
France, during the day, the air is reheated for 9 months. During
Approximately 1 month it is at the right temperature. For 2 months remaining,
The ice is produced at night (energy is cheaper and exchanges
Between hot and cold more efficiently thanks to the temperature difference
More importantly, thus require less electrical energy). Technically
Speaking the air that enters the room is froidi with water that is
Cooled by the ice. The cold storage will provide 12-16 hours
Operating a day by the EcoSalle. Then at night it must be heated
Air ...

The EcoSalle an innovation is still under development.
It is hoped to develop the technology for use
Large scale in the new datacentre in Roubaix, 3rd,
For mid 2008. The 3rd datacentre will have a capacity of 50,000 servers.

We continue our ads on the ecology? ...

Yours
Octave

oles@ovh.net
20-03-2008, 13:44
Hello,

To reduce the power consumption related to a dedicated server, we work on the hardware but also on the datacentre. In the past, his work enabled us to develop, for example, the system of liquid cooling that we have been using now for 4 years. Considering Ovh is transparent on everythingl, we have announced it and this caused serious mistrust from our customers and loss of sales. Today no one can question our infrastructure regarding liquid cooling. On the contrary, it allows us to reduce power consumption by 30% thanks to the air conditioning that we no longer need.

In 2007/2008, we made a few brief announcements on our work in our datacentres. Also, our customers have told us that they are
now ready to listen to the innovations we put in place, the industrial context of our datacentre, the need for high reliability and especially the need to reduce power consumption.

As our customers seem to be more open to the ecology, here is an announcement about one of our ongoing innovations. Let's see if
Ecology truly becomes as important as we've taken it to be...

Ovh develops a new innovation: "EcoSalle." ("Salle" means Room in French)

In a traditional datacentre, the cold necessary to cool the servers is produced by the air conditioning. The energy required for
these air conditioners is equivalent to the energy required to make the server run. The total energy to run a server is therefore double!

In a "Ovh 1st generation" datacentre (since 2004), 40% of the cooling required is produced by air conditioning. The remaining 60%
of heat is discharged through the liquid cooling, which requires very small amounts of energy (a few pumps and that's all). The total energy is thus x1.4 the server's energy. Therefore we save about 30% of the energy in comparison to a traditional datacentre.
The prices of our dedicated servers reflect this difference.

In a "Ovh 2nd generation" datacentre , we don't use air conditioning in the room at all. 60% of heat is still evacuated by the cooling fluid, as in the 1st generation datacentre. The remaining 40% is cooled using outdoor air (simply as that). To regulate the air temperature, we have developed a control system of automatic temperature (a robot) that allows in warm air (if it's too cold) or cool air it (if it is too hot). To heat the air (if it is too cold) we use the hot air that comes out of the room (simple as that). To Cool the air (if it is too hot) we use ice stored in huge tanks buried under the land adjacent to the datacentre. The normal operation in Northern
France, during the day the air is reheated for 9 months. For approximately 1 month it is at the right temperature. For the 2 remaining months, the ice is produced at night (energy is cheaper and exchanges between hot and cold are more efficient thanks to the more important temperature difference, thus require less electrical energy). Technically speaking the air that comes in the room is cooled down with water that is cooled by the ice. The cold storage enables provision of 12-16 operating hours a day by the EcoSalle. Then at night the air must be heated ...

The EcoSalle is an innovation, which is still under development. We hope to be able to develop the technology to use it large scale in the new datacentre in Roubaix, the 3rd one, for mid 2008. The 3rd datacentre will have a capacity of 50,000 servers.

Shall we continue to feature ecology in our ads?

Regards,

Octave