OVH Community, your new community space.

Trouble configuring FailoverIP with new ESXi host

Dani
13-04-2015, 13:18
Hi

The tickets are completed on a first come first serve basis.

As for the configuration of things is it possible for you to disable the firewall to see if the IP is reachable, afterwards you can enable the firewall and define your rules.

Thanks

Danny

ovig
13-04-2015, 12:01
Have emailed support too - with no answer yet; will post more info if/when (hopefully!) I get it working.

Looks like support is pretty much a Mon-Fri 9am-5pm kind of affair... and I don't know how long it'll take to go through all the tickets that have accumulated over the week-end.

CLGREEN
13-04-2015, 02:01
I am having the same issue.

I e-mailed support Friday and I am still waiting on a response for a company that seems to take pride in being Number 1. There support really sucks.

ovig
12-04-2015, 13:35
Hi guys,
I have a new ESXi 6 host (SYS-IP-1) for which I have a new failover IP which I am trying to configure. My end goal is to have this failover IP as the public IP address on the outside port of a firewall VM, with the inside port of that VM connected to a second vSwitch on the ESXi host on which all my VMs will be connected.
So far it's not working :-(

Steps taken for configuration:
- install new ESXi host; its IP given to me by OVH is 188.xxx.xxx.xxx
- create new failover IP 5.yyy.yyy.yyy
- create a new virtual MAC address for that IP (type=vmware): 00:50:56:zz:zz:zz
- configure vSwitch0 to be in Promiscuous mode and also to accept Mac address changes
- create my new VM and configure it with a "manually configured MAC address", set to the vMAC associated with the IP (00:50:56:zz:zz:zz)
- link that VM to the port group which is part of vSwitch0 (that vSwitch basically comprises of the hardware NIC in the server, vmnic0, the port group for that VM and the VMkernel port with IP 188.xxx.xxx.xxx)
- the VM was then booted and configured with: IP address= 5.xxx.xxx.xxx / 32
- (VM is a firewall distribution based on OpenBSD; it comes with ports 443/https and 22/ssh open)
- configure the default gateway to 188.yyy.yyy.254 (i.e. the same as the ESXi host's gateway)

After the config, all looks good: the VM boots with the correct MAC and IP addresses, but from my laptop I cannot open a connection using either https or ssh.
traceroute to the ESXi host and the VM is identical for the 9 first hops (to what I presume is an OVH Router: vss-4-6k.fr.eu), but hop 10 is the ESXi in the first instance, whereas in the VM case, it just goes in timeout/"* * * " mode

Does anyone have a similar config that actually works?