OVH Community, your new community space.

Why do OVH/SyS not provide free KVM?

Terrum
01-05-2015, 15:57
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
Main reason, my guess, marketing tactic. They want you to go for their higher priced ranges, I'd want you to if I were them as well. If they offer features via OVH that SYS doesn't offer, it gives you an incentive to use that range, rather than SYS. SYS is intended as a budget line, so the features will match that.
Well, doesn't really work. Such reason just makes me want to go back with Hetzner. But no problem for now. A mod can close this thread now as it is resolved

Criot
01-05-2015, 12:47
Main reason, my guess, marketing tactic. They want you to go for their higher priced ranges, I'd want you to if I were them as well. If they offer features via OVH that SYS doesn't offer, it gives you an incentive to use that range, rather than SYS. SYS is intended as a budget line, so the features will match that.

Terrum
30-04-2015, 22:35
This appears to be done now. Apologies for the multiple posts.

I hope the suggestion can be put into consideration by the necessary department of OVH however. Many thanks

Terrum
30-04-2015, 22:12
I did however get a notification that I was getting a 'power connector' changed on my machine from the intervention and said it would be started in 15 minutes and would get information when it starts, however it's been about 30 minutes with no information.

Terrum
30-04-2015, 21:43
Surely it would cost OVH less to just provide it with every machine they sell, no matter the 'cheapness' of it. Hetzner's server bidding (which is the equivalent to OVH's SyS, Kimsufi or budget-related stock) provide the free KVM. Not going to argue however - their interventions are pretty fast. But I'm sure it could save time and money going for my suggestion

alvaroag
30-04-2015, 21:26
OVH does provide KVM/IP for free with all the OVH-branded servers. Not exactly KVM, as it is IMP-based, but provides the same functionality as KVM/IP. It's enabled by default for all servers starting from 2014. You can also configure your OS to get a serial console, which you can access remotely from the manager. This is specially useful for Linux servers.

On SyS, you can get KVM/IP for €25 for 24 hours, or €149 for one whole week. THis is because the SyS servers are the "cheap" ones, so they may lack some features that the OVH servers, the "Full featured" ones, have.

I suppose each provider makes its own costing about offering KVM/IP. For example, OVH offers it for free with the OVH servers, because it's integrated in the mainboard. But SyS may not, becuase the sole action of a person installing it costs, not to count that the KVM itself costs. I suppose Hetzner considers that into the cost structure, so they can offer it "for free". Or maybe they also use IPMI, and then they are theorically offering less than OVH. Don't really know how they do. But finally, such "add-ons" depend on how the providers structures their costs.

Terrum
30-04-2015, 20:55
Competitors such as Hetzner provide free KVM access for a limited time (up to 1 hour), why do OVH/SyS not do the same? It would probably save a lot of time in interventions, and it'll also give people more access to their machine if they lose internet for whatever reason.

The reason I suggest this is because my machine is having its 2nd issue now where it would randomly lose internet, but support will do nothing about it because its using my own Windows image - and I'm not spending £22 just to use KVM for one day to fix an issue that wasn't caused by me or any of my software.