OVH Community, your new community space.

"1 hour setup" - an irregardless lie?

PeterUK
27-10-2008, 00:56
Quote Originally Posted by snJohn
same here think I have only had a server in under 1 hour once.. anyone else actually got a 1h server?
My last two server orders with OVH:
Server Ordered : Monday 25th August 6:17pm GMT+1
Server Setup : Monday 25th August 7:43pm GMT+1

Server Ordered : Wednesday 1st October 03:58am GMT+1
Server Setup : Wednesday 1st October 04:12am GMT+1
Second one was obviously the best. :P

snJohn
26-10-2008, 06:43
same here think I have only had a server in under 1 hour once.. anyone else actually got a 1h server?

*Mikee*
25-10-2008, 18:06
I've never had problems with OVH with my orders and plan to order more in the future

slayer2005
24-10-2008, 03:13
I have to agree a little.since the whole new verification thing was introduced the delivery time frames have become very hit and miss.
ive had servers in 15minutes but the majority are 4-10 hours.
Now a few months ago it was always within a hour if it said 1 hour stock on the web site.

Andy
23-10-2008, 23:18
It might say 30 odd servers, but those servers might have already been allocated to someone else's order. It doesn't come off there straight away. Its not a "to the second" live statistic. It updates only every so often. I don't know how often but its not to the second.

When you order you get put into the allocation queue, you just have to wait. If you're unhappy with that procedure I suggest you complain directly to OVH about it. The forums are generally unmonitored and aren't an official support option. E-mail or phone them tomorrow and see what they say.

pseudonym
23-10-2008, 23:09
Just a poignant issue of interest: the OVH website currently states there are 32 servers available for 1-hour deployment on the SP range. Does this work even on a Friday night at 01:00 AM, ie; right now?

pseudonym
23-10-2008, 23:02
What you say is true for the most part. And I am aware of OVH's leadership in the European hosting field.

However,

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Now, when you order, there are 2 stock levels. 1 hour and 72 hours. These indicate how many servers are available for deployment in that time frame. Just because you "paid" when the stock had 1 hour servers, it doesn't mean you'll get one in 1 hour.
Is simply untrue -unless we're being intentionally fooled- because at *any* particular point in the morning/evening/afternoon/today/tomorrow, there will ALWAYS be around 30 servers listed as "available" with "1 hour delivery" written in bold letters directly underneath and this number adjusts every few hours which supports the assumption that it is a fairly live statistic.

I fail to see how such routines can be rationalized without approaching the conclusion that at least some dishonesty is going on around here.

OVH may be technically superior to anyone in the EU, but even then, ungrounded claims are something to be wary of.

Andy
23-10-2008, 22:33
Let me explain. When you make an order for the first time, you get a letter in the post to verify you live where you say you live. This is to prevent fraud and abuse, which before these measures was a very very common occurance at OVH.

You order, and OVH take your money to verify you can pay what you said you can pay. They then send you a letter to confirm your address. When you enter the code online, the order the progresses. When the order progresses, it goes through the system and "orders" the server. The order is never started until that code has been put in for the first time. Now, when you order, there are 2 stock levels. 1 hour and 72 hours. These indicate how many servers are available for deployment in that time frame. Just because you "paid" when the stock had 1 hour servers, it doesn't mean you'll get one in 1 hour.

When your order progresses, if there is a server waiting and ready for 1 hour deployment, it takes one and deploys it within 1 hour, however if the server is popular and there aren't any, then you have to wait in an up to 72 hour slot. There is no "guarantee" on deployment time, simply a set of words telling you we usually deploy in 1 hour but it can take longer, hence the 1 hour and 72 hour deployment slots.

Very very few hosts even deploy in this amount of time, so you should feel privileged if you get a server in such little time. Most other hosts can take up to a week to deploy servers, at least thats my experience with several other hosts.

So, the summary is, servers can be deployed in as little as 1 hour, but it is not guaranteed!

pseudonym
23-10-2008, 21:18
So, after the drama and almost an entire week of delay due to waiting for a postal letter, I've today received the *(@ letter and confirmed my registration/order/what do they actually want me to verify?? They already took my money!

Skipping forward... 2 hours after entering the code I still don't see an update on the OVH manager. I call OVH UK (where I'm now starting to wonder what my intl. phone bill will look like at the end of this month) where a lady informs me the ACTUAL setup time for a dedicated server could run up to 3 days!

Come on OVH... what kind of misleading, completely dishonest practice goes on here?

When I told the lady: "but on your website the "1 hour setup" statement displays prominently on top for every potential customer, and you have a seemingly live ticker indicating constantly available servers. Why would it ever take 3 days?" - She goes: "umm... well... yeah... um..."!

What gives??

Sorry but this leaves me a frightening indication of the kind of support I could expect around here. I hope the actual server won't have any defects in the upcoming months or else I fear the WORST.