OVH Community, your new community space.

Minecraft Server?

kanturu
02-06-2016, 11:58
they cannot upgrade services automatically, however, that definitely isn't the case with Minecraft

OutskilledDaily
28-05-2016, 06:41
Quote Originally Posted by alvaroag
Another option I would consider in your place is to get a sysadmin to configure the server for you with apropiate security and giving you basic instructions for maintenance and troubleshooting. If everything is setup correctly, you may only need to update OS packages from time to time(easy), and keep the minecraft server app up to date(may also be easy)
This is realistically the best advice here. With the right sysadmin in place taking care of things for you, you're really only ever going to need to keep the server app up to date, which is extremely easily done and not something that you need to even worry about very frequently. Hopefully you get your upgrading issues sorted soon though.

alvaroag
20-06-2015, 05:32
Another option I would consider in your place is to get a sysadmin to configure the server for you with apropiate security and giving you basic instructions for maintenance and troubleshooting. If everything is setup correctly, you may only need to update OS packages from time to time(easy), and keep the minecraft server app up to date(may also be easy)

CRMvzToxic
19-06-2015, 23:30
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
What excuses are you being given when upgrading exactly? Most professional hosts should have automation in place for basic upgrading of services, unless there are real reasons as to why they cannot upgrade services automatically, however, that definitely isn't the case with Minecraft, as I sell Minecraft services myself, it should just be a simple restart of your server through their control panel.

Your best bet is to stick with shared hosting but find a reputable host, there's a lot more to a server than what meets the eye, and OVH won't give you any support unless it's for hardware/network based issues.
They just give the excuses of 'must be the plugins' when the plugins havn't changed, but the RAM has. Ok and thanks for the help

Criot
19-06-2015, 22:42
Quote Originally Posted by CRMvzToxic
Well we already own a server, and it was hosted by 2 different companies, and we're kinda just fed up of switching to whatever host actually doesn't give us excuses whenever we 'upgrade' to a new package so we think it would be better to just get a server direct instead of going through hosting companies, but i'm still not sure as how it would work, as you know most hosting companies do most of the work.
What excuses are you being given when upgrading exactly? Most professional hosts should have automation in place for basic upgrading of services, unless there are real reasons as to why they cannot upgrade services automatically, however, that definitely isn't the case with Minecraft, as I sell Minecraft services myself, it should just be a simple restart of your server through their control panel.

Your best bet is to stick with shared hosting but find a reputable host, there's a lot more to a server than what meets the eye, and OVH won't give you any support unless it's for hardware/network based issues.

CRMvzToxic
19-06-2015, 21:47
It sounds like you don't have any experience at all with managing a server, if I were you I'd avoid your own server unless you have someone experienced to manage it for you, you'd be best off going with Minecraft Hosting (shared).
Well we already own a server, and it was hosted by 2 different companies, and we're kinda just fed up of switching to whatever host actually doesn't give us excuses whenever we 'upgrade' to a new package so we think it would be better to just get a server direct instead of going through hosting companies, but i'm still not sure as how it would work, as you know most hosting companies do most of the work.

Criot
19-06-2015, 20:59
It sounds like you don't have any experience at all with managing a server, if I were you I'd avoid your own server unless you have someone experienced to manage it for you, you'd be best off going with Minecraft Hosting (shared).

CRMvzToxic
19-06-2015, 20:55
For Minecraft i'd recommend the Enterprise range of OVH, as they offer double the RAM than Infrastructure, the E5-1620v2/1650v2 are good for Minecraft, and go for the SSDs rather than HDDs.

If you're looking at SYS then the E3-1245v2 with SSDs is a good choice for Minecraft as well.
Ok thanks, and how would running a minecraft server actually work on here, is there some way to access files and transfer them, and a way to keep the actualy minecraft file running to keep the server up?

Criot
19-06-2015, 19:31
For Minecraft i'd recommend the Enterprise range of OVH, as they offer double the RAM than Infrastructure, the E5-1620v2/1650v2 are good for Minecraft, and go for the SSDs rather than HDDs.

If you're looking at SYS then the E3-1245v2 with SSDs is a good choice for Minecraft as well.

CRMvzToxic
19-06-2015, 19:25
My friend recommended this place to buy a server to host a minecraft server, due to the fact there are no 3rd parties limiting the server. So I would just like ask, what am I actually going to look for, because most of this stuff i'm not sure what it all means, so if someone could help me decide what sort of server to buy.