We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Are Failover IP's and backup storage interchangable between sites, and / or ranges ?

Careimages
21-10-2015, 22:14
I use Proxmox on the bare metal. That's a linux distribution based on Debian with custom components for managing VMs including a web GUI. OVH include Proxmox as one of OS choices for SYS servers.

DRBD functionality was something I added myself later. I followed a few examples I found on the web and it turned out to be surprisingly straightforward (as long as you can find your way around the Linux command line). I simply split the main LVM storage that Proxmox had configured into 3 separate volume groups, one to be private to the host server, one to be the master for VMs hosted on that server (so mirrored onto the other server) and one to be the space for the backup data sent from the other server.

Inertia
21-10-2015, 21:41
Quote Originally Posted by Careimages
I can answer Q1 and Q3

Switching a failover IP between servers takes less than 30 seconds and can be done via the SYS control panel or even automated using the API (I use a Python script).

I have one server in Roubaix and one in Strasbourg and haven't had any issue with switching the failover IPs between them.

As well as making snapshot backup copies onto backup storage, what I do is mirror the live storage from each server onto the other in real time using DRBD. So at any given time one server is the master for one set of virtual machines and backup for its partner's set. So that way I can switch VMs between the two servers almost seamlessly, It's not quite live migration but the downtime is less than 2 minutes.
Thanks for the info,

That sounds very interesting, I was planning on using Hyper-v for my VM's , DRBD is a linux technology, which linux platform/hypervisor would you recommend running my VM's on to achieve this ? Do you have any links to guides for this please ?

I've read up on similar with hyper-v but as far as i can tell you cannot do it a similar way, you can only cluster.

Live migration isn't important to me, but a quick restore on server 2 is, the quicker the better should server 1 fail.

Thanks

/edit , just found this, may be able to do similar with Hyper-v

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/.../jj134172.aspx

Careimages
21-10-2015, 21:25
I can answer Q1 and Q3

Switching a failover IP between servers takes less than 30 seconds and can be done via the SYS control panel or even automated using the API (I use a Python script).

I have one server in Roubaix and one in Strasbourg and haven't had any issue with switching the failover IPs between them.

As well as making snapshot backup copies onto backup storage, what I do is mirror the live storage from each server onto the other in real time using DRBD. So at any given time one server is the master for one set of virtual machines and backup for its partner's set. So that way I can switch VMs between the two servers almost seemlessly, It's not quite live migration but the downtime is less than 2 minutes.

Inertia
21-10-2015, 19:11
If I get an SYS (looking at SYS-IP5) to run some hosted desktops and a few other bits on, and I buy a batch of failover IP's and some extra backup space (probably 1TB) I know I can point the failoverIP to a new server if i choose to upgrade in the future. The backup is apparently locked down to my server for security.

Q1 how easy is it to switch it to the new server if my server fails and I need to restore quickly ?

Q2 Must that server also be a SYS server for failoverIP and backup to be movable ?

Q3 Must that Server be in the same data Center as the original for failoverIP and backup to be movable?

Q4 , what are the read/write speeds like to / from the backup storage ? and how much does this affect the servers bandwidth availability if you saturate it ?