We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

SYS: E3-SAT-4 / E3-SSD-4 gone.


spamenigma
02-11-2015, 10:56
Agreed, they were a good price and they have enticed a lot of people to jump through hoops in attempting to get one and ultimately wasting a lot of our time.

(Getting a load of notifications they are available again now, looks like some 'human error' has occurred on the website again.)

It would have been nice if after screwing with us they at least told us the situation with the reduced server range. Is it a 'watch this space' or is this it?

Kode
02-11-2015, 08:42
Moving the goal posts with no communication has always been the OVH way.

The SAT-4 and SSD-4 servers were unbeatable for the price though, and the OVH network as a whole is excellent, so you end up either putting up with it or resigning yourself to a more expensive and/or poorer specced server on a worse network.

spamenigma
31-10-2015, 14:43
Quote Originally Posted by Kode
You must be new to OVH?
From early this year, but this server situation has been a farce for as long as I've known it.

This treatment I didn't expect. lesson learned.

Kode
31-10-2015, 14:30
You must be new to OVH?

spamenigma
31-10-2015, 14:27
Quote Originally Posted by artyom
Press CTRL+F5. I was eagerly refreshing the page manually on my laptop and at some day I just checked the site from my phone.
Boom, the -4 servers were gone.
FFS... this has been auto refreshing for days and still showed them, just done this and yes they are gone

The communication (well lack of) is beyond a joke, many of us have been trying for a long time to get these servers, Then some of us successfully order them and find out 'days' later they cant supply and it was a mistake, now they vanish without a word! That's not a great way of dealing with customers.

artyom
30-10-2015, 20:56
Quote Originally Posted by spamenigma
Press CTRL+F5. I was eagerly refreshing the page manually on my laptop and at some day I just checked the site from my phone.
Boom, the -4 servers were gone.

Kode
30-10-2015, 10:41
Quote Originally Posted by alvaroag
They are not the same. OVH 2016 Ranges have better processors than SYS servers; they also have more bandwidth.
...
The bandwidth is really relative. They offer something, but they do not expect you to use the full bandwidth all the time. So the offered bandwidth does not have a real cost. They offer the OVH servers with higher bandwidth (starting at 500Mbps) to make the different to KS and SYS, which offer 100 Mbps and 250 Mbps respectively.
...
.
Actually the hosting range (D-1520 & D-1540) is only guaranteed 250Mbps

spamenigma
29-10-2015, 23:14
Quote Originally Posted by raid_level
Are the previous HW Raid servers really gone forever ? I mean it was there just few days ago. Now they are all removed !
Still showing for me?

https://www.soyoustart.com/en/cpu/

raid_level
28-10-2015, 19:04
Are the previous HW Raid servers really gone forever ? I mean it was there just few days ago. Now they are all removed !

artyom
28-10-2015, 17:19
I do agree with the things you said (used hardware, no guaranteed bandwidth), but you see, how that makes it an even more unjustified price tag.
And I don't think OVH only deploys brand new machines, that would be really wasteful.

> Without paying a higher price, you can try the SYS E3-SSD-3, which comes with 3 x 120 GB SSD. Unlike conventional HDDs, SSDs don't get slower after years of use.

That's why I wanted to order an E3-SSD-4 , because that had a 300GB SSD.
I mean 120 is still more than a typical DigitalOcean box, but when you have an E3 + 32gigs of ram, it's kinda not much.
(And you have 600gb of usable space with RAID5.)

alvaroag
28-10-2015, 16:58
Quote Originally Posted by artyom
Thank you alvaroag. I checked OVH several times already, but their prices are highly uncompetetive.
Other providers (not saying names, because not sure if that's allowed) offer the same hardware for half the price.
Same for SYS, even.

If you just check the Hosting/Datacenter packages (32) and compare with SYS....
OVH is literally the same (or worse) thing, for like 2-3x more money.
Yes I understand that they offer KVM and 128IPs, but what if you just don't need them?

I do see how OVH could be competetive and all, but they should:
- Make KVM and the 128IP thing optional. Let users have a cheaper price tag, with 1 IP, 32, 64, or 128. More IP, higher price.
- Add 100 or 350mbps connection enabled boxes. You don't need a gbps speed for high performance applications most of the times.

As an example:
HOST-32L - 32G - Xeon D-1520 Server - 1 month: 56.27 -- 78 EUR.
E3-SAT-2 - 32G - Xeon E3 1225v2 - 1month: 35.70 -- 49.3 EUR.

And the D offers a worse single core performance, so there is that.
They are not the same. OVH 2016 Ranges have better processors than SYS servers; they also have more bandwidth.

Making the KVM optional would make no difference in price, as the current "KVM" offered by OVH is just IPMI, which is integrated in the BIOS. The IP addresses use the same scheme as SYS: they are free of a monthly fee, but you must pay the setup fee.

The bandwidth is really relative. They offer something, but they do not expect you to use the full bandwidth all the time. So the offered bandwidth does not have a real cost. They offer the OVH servers with higher bandwidth (starting at 500Mbps) to make the different to KS and SYS, which offer 100 Mbps and 250 Mbps respectively. The NIC is always 1 Gbps, because the other option would be 100 Mbps, which is too low for SYS & OVH.

Also, you may consider something. Even when not official, it's well known SYS installs used hardware, I suppose it's the hardware previously used on OVH branded servers. That can have a high impact on performance when talking about conventional hard disks. Without paying a higher price, you can try the SYS E3-SSD-3, which comes with 3 x 120 GB SSD. Unlike conventional HDDs, SSDs don't get slower after years of use.

HostRange
28-10-2015, 14:36
Quote Originally Posted by artyom
Thank you alvaroag. I checked OVH several times already, but their prices are highly uncompetetive.
Other providers (not saying names, because not sure if that's allowed) offer the same hardware for half the price.
Same for SYS, even.

If you just check the Hosting/Datacenter packages (32) and compare with SYS....
OVH is literally the same (or worse) thing, for like 2-3x more money.
Yes I understand that they offer KVM and 128IPs, but what if you just don't need them?

I do see how OVH could be competetive and all, but they should:
- Make KVM and the 128IP thing optional. Let users have a cheaper price tag, with 1 IP, 32, 64, or 128. More IP, higher price.
- Add 100 or 350mbps connection enabled boxes. You don't need a gbps speed for high performance applications most of the times.

As an example:
HOST-32L - 32G - Xeon D-1520 Server - 1 month: 56.27 -- 78 EUR.
E3-SAT-2 - 32G - Xeon E3 1225v2 - 1month: 35.70 -- 49.3 EUR.

And the D offers a worse single core performance, so there is that.
I agree, OVH used to be miles ahead and then on top of that have one of the best networks out there (still do).

I feel this new 2016 range is very poor compared to previous years.

We should have some more servers with high CPU power and low-medium RAM.

Also one thing people haven't discussed on the .co.uk forums is the Euro price drop. For several months this year OVH was selling the same service for up to 20% discount compared to GBP/USD

artyom
28-10-2015, 14:27
I cannot wrap my head around this thing, like how no information is supposed to bring in more customers.
Imagine Apple's announcements if they would do it in OVH style.

"Hello people. New phone"

(Rest of announcement: cancelled because of unforeseen issues, will be available 2 years later.)
Oh, whatever.

Kode
28-10-2015, 14:14
Quote Originally Posted by Criot
Oles confirmed a new range on twitter a few weeks ago, but I would expect it to be soon if they're beginning to remove the older servers.
Where did he say that? I can't seem to find it?

*edit* is it: https://twitter.com/olesovhcom/statu...98188453027840 ?

artyom
28-10-2015, 14:06
Yeah but a couple of weeks back there was no E3-SSD-4 or SAT-4.
I can tell because I always checked the SSD size and I was always like "wow thats tiny".
Not like the 300gb is much though, but its still a bit better.

With all that said I am not sure if they just used up all the raid cards, or they had issues often, or ... I don't know.
It would be cool though if they were to introduce a 300GBx3 SSD SWRAID machine.

Hybrid builds would be also cool. 2x2TB + 2x240GB? Or something like that?
(Dunno if you can SWRAID an SSD partition to a bigger hard drive though. Of course boot would not work with that, but you would have the system 1:1 saved, and you would just have to clone it back.)

Criot
28-10-2015, 13:47
Quote Originally Posted by artyom
Well, that's the tricky part.
They introduced this E3-SAT-4 and E3-SSD-4 servers only a few weeks ago.
Since then, I was subscribed to get my hands on one.
Of course I never managed to, I haven't noticed if the servers actually ever got deployed or anything.

Oh man, this ain't easy.
I do know that OVH launched a 2016 range, but I don't know if SYS also does this.
I really do wish SYS/Kimsufi were a tiny bit more communicative.
I don't believe they did, they've been available for quite some time?

Just took a quick look on the wayback machine and it appears that they've removed all of the servers which had hardware RAID.

artyom
28-10-2015, 13:34
In terms of the availability of the new range, I doubt there's an ETA and i'm not aware of one either. Oles confirmed a new range on twitter a few weeks ago, but I would expect it to be soon if they're beginning to remove the older servers.
Well, that's the tricky part.
They introduced this E3-SAT-4 and E3-SSD-4 servers only a few weeks ago.
Since then, I was subscribed to get my hands on one.
Of course I never managed to, I haven't noticed if the servers actually ever got deployed or anything.

Oh man, this ain't easy.
I do know that OVH launched a 2016 range, but I don't know if SYS also does this.
I really do wish SYS/Kimsufi were a tiny bit more communicative.

Criot
28-10-2015, 13:28
Quote Originally Posted by artyom
> However, I believe the servers you're referring to have been removed as they prepare to launch a new SYS range

Is there any ETA on this btw? I wanted to order a new server - but I can hold off if a new range of servers are on the way.
Thanks for the heads up.

About the OVH support:
Please let me say that I am not an OVH customer, so personally I have no experience with them.
And it's my opinion, it's not an attack, not trying to be offensive, etc.

So with that said: It's right here, on the OVH forum section.
And on the other OVH forums.
Example: https://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.p...ptable-support

Let's say I would have a serious hosting business, and I would decide to look around.
I check the forums, I check reviews, everyone is having issues with support.

Ok, but I still decide to go against logic and buy a server that is crazy expensive.
HWRaid fails like for that person, my business is out of service for a week or three.
But it could be the ram, the psu, the motherboard, whatever.

Ps.: Not to say that every part of OVH is bad, I do enjoy SYS and Kimsufi, they are reasonable services.
Competetive, good price, good machines, fast connection, DDoS protection, everything good there.
If OVH had a much lower price tag, this support would be compeletely fine.
By the way I did try to reach SYS support twice and it was PAIN.
I was redirected, told that I should call this number, that number, then that number told me no it's this number.... just no.
I personally do not have any horrifically bad experiences with support, I've personally had an issue with a hardware RAID card before and they replied quite quickly (within the hour) and scheduled a suitable time based on my requirements for it to be replaced, you have to consider that the majority of people will only publicly post about their experiences when they have bad ones, there are not many people who will post when they have good experiences, they just have no need to. When you consider how many people OVH serve, and how many people post bad experiences, it's only a very small percentage, I agree that OVH support could be better, but I certainly don't expect instant replies for the prices they charge, they're competitive considering the quality of service received, in my opinion.

In terms of the availability of the new range, I doubt there's an ETA and i'm not aware of one either. Oles confirmed a new range on twitter a few weeks ago, but I would expect it to be soon if they're beginning to remove the older servers.

artyom
28-10-2015, 12:59
> However, I believe the servers you're referring to have been removed as they prepare to launch a new SYS range

Is there any ETA on this btw? I wanted to order a new server - but I can hold off if a new range of servers are on the way.
Thanks for the heads up.

About the OVH support:
Please let me say that I am not an OVH customer, so personally I have no experience with them.
And it's my opinion, it's not an attack, not trying to be offensive, etc.

So with that said: It's right here, on the OVH forum section.
And on the other OVH forums.
Example: https://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.p...ptable-support

Let's say I would have a serious hosting business, and I would decide to look around.
I check the forums, I check reviews, everyone is having issues with support.

Ok, but I still decide to go against logic and buy a server that is crazy expensive.
HWRaid fails like for that person, my business is out of service for a week or three.
But it could be the ram, the psu, the motherboard, whatever.

Ps.: Not to say that every part of OVH is bad, I do enjoy SYS and Kimsufi, they are reasonable services.
Competetive, good price, good machines, fast connection, DDoS protection, everything good there.
If OVH had a much lower price tag, this support would be compeletely fine.
By the way I did try to reach SYS support twice and it was PAIN.
I was redirected, told that I should call this number, that number, then that number told me no it's this number.... just no.

Criot
28-10-2015, 12:42
Take into account that OVH support is better than SYS in the fact you have direct access to incident support, and the hardware is newer as well. For the same hardware that OVH has elsewhere, you're looking at the same price or higher, any providers with lower prices that i'm aware of generally aren't as reliable.

However, I believe the servers you're referring to have been removed as they prepare to launch a new SYS range, this was confirmed by Oles on twitter a few weeks ago.

artyom
28-10-2015, 12:30
Thank you alvaroag. I checked OVH several times already, but their prices are highly uncompetetive.
Other providers (not saying names, because not sure if that's allowed) offer the same hardware for half the price.
Same for SYS, even.

If you just check the Hosting/Datacenter packages (32) and compare with SYS....
OVH is literally the same (or worse) thing, for like 2-3x more money.
Yes I understand that they offer KVM and 128IPs, but what if you just don't need them?

I do see how OVH could be competetive and all, but they should:
- Make KVM and the 128IP thing optional. Let users have a cheaper price tag, with 1 IP, 32, 64, or 128. More IP, higher price.
- Add 100 or 350mbps connection enabled boxes. You don't need a gbps speed for high performance applications most of the times.

As an example:
HOST-32L - 32G - Xeon D-1520 Server - 1 month: 56.27 -- 78 EUR.
E3-SAT-2 - 32G - Xeon E3 1225v2 - 1month: 35.70 -- 49.3 EUR.

And the D offers a worse single core performance, so there is that.

alvaroag
28-10-2015, 11:45
They may have discontinued it, so you may not expect it to be available again.

As you want Hardware RAID, you may take a look at the OVH Hosting Ranges; there are some interesting configurations.

artyom
28-10-2015, 09:24
Both disappeared.
Any info on this?
Was waiting for them to become available, but then they disappeared from the page all together.

I really want a raid enabled machine, because my E3-SAT-3 had a TERRIBLE performance.
Doing anything disk intensive was a pain.