We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

100GB Backup full, but only using 43GB!

spanac
02-11-2015, 13:31
@Neil, no it is not resolved. Problem still persists.
25GB detected as 87% out of 100GB (also in the control panel)

Code:
[root@nsXXXXXX backup]# du -h --max-depth=0 .
25G     .

Code:
[root@ns305XXX backup]# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
ftpback-rbx6-91.ovh.net:/export/ftpbackup/ns305XXX.ip-AAA-BBB-CCC.eu
                      100G   87G   14G  87% /mnt/backup

Neil
02-11-2015, 12:10
Hi

Should be all resolved now.

Neil

spanac
01-11-2015, 22:19
@alvaroag Thank you for your tips. I have started the support request ticket and I hope that it will be resolved and I will post the results here.
If anybody else has any additional ideas, help would be appreciated

alvaroag
01-11-2015, 22:06
No more ideas on my side..... It looks like a quota calculation problem, but that ussually has to be solved by the admin. Your only option now is to call them or raise a ticket so they can take a look on it.

spanac
01-11-2015, 19:47
@alvaroag Thank you for your detail response.

The /mnt/backup has only several 10GB backup files. Nothing else.

Even after deleting one of them (so I have removed 10GB file) the amount shown on the SYS Dashboard is still at 100% (waited for 15 min to see if it will change). On my side,
Code:
du -h --max-depth=0 .
is showing the change, but SYS does not detect the change.

Regarding the subfodlers/mounts, there is nothing else:

Code:
[root@nsXXXXXXX backup]# cat /proc/mounts | grep backup

ftpback-rbx6-91.ovh.net:/export/ftpbackup/nsXXXXXXX.ip-AAA-BBB-CCC.eu /mnt/backup nfs rw,relatime,vers=3,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,namlen=255,hard,proto=tcp,port=2049,timeo=600,retrans=2,sec=sys,local_lock=none,addr=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX 0 0
Do you have any other ideas?
Thank you.

alvaroag
01-11-2015, 13:48
That's really weird. I only make up two possibilities:

a) You have something else mounted under a subfolder of /mnt/backup. That would make the real folder (ie. /mnt/backup/folder) invisible to every app(because something in mounted over it), but it would use disk space on the NFS share anyway. You can discard this running "cat /proc/mounts | grep backup", there you will see if there is anything mounted under a subfolder of /mnt/backup

b) For some reason, the quota calculation failed. This should normally not happen, but that's the problem with bugs. It can only be corrected by OVH, but you can diagnose this the following way: Move all your files to your hard disk, on a folder specially created for that, then size that folder (du -h --max-depth=0 .), and check the free space on the NFS share. If everything's OK on your side, the folder should size the same and the NFS share should size the difference, even when theorically empty. This may as well solve the problem, maybe, you will be able to appreciate it if, after moving everything to your disk, you get the NFS share free; if that happens, move your files back and hope it doesn't happens again.

One last possibility, but not really possible in practical terms. Is the content of your backup storage composed of small or large files? Depending on the filesystem config(on the backup server, we will never know more about it), if your backup is composed or large quantity of small files, they could size less than the space they really use on the disk. For example, under some filesystems, a 1 Kb file uses 4 Kb on disk, so if you have 1000000 files, they will size 40 Gb on the disk, even when the theorical size if only 10 Gb. If this is the problem, it can be solved easily by putting everything in a "tar" archive, or "tar.bz2"/"tar.gz" if the compression ratio is worth.

spanac
31-10-2015, 23:53
@alvaroag thank you for you tip, but the results are also strange:

Code:
[root@nsXXXXXX backup]# du -h --max-depth=0 .
43G     .
Code:
[root@nsXXXXXXX backup]# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
ftpback-rbx6-91.ovh.net:/export/ftpbackup/nsXXXXXXX.ip-AAA-BBB-CCC.eu
                      105G  105G     0 100% /mnt/backup
Any ideas?

alvaroag
31-10-2015, 23:38
That may not be accurate, as it will not consider the size of any folder. Try with:

du -h --max-depth=0 .

Run it from your mountpoint ("cd" first).

You can also check what Linux reports with "df -h". Look for your mountpoint in the output.

spanac
31-10-2015, 20:46
Hello,

since today, I have experiencing a strange issue. I have been using only 43GB out of my 100GB backup storage (using it as an NFS share), but in the dashboard it states that I am using 100% of my backup space.

Code:
ls -al
result is:
Code:
total 44645860
Anybody having the same issue?

Thank you.