OVH Community, your new community space.

VMWare / Windows Server 2012 Core network problems

RandomThoughts
10-03-2016, 10:06
I'm using VMWare, not Hyper-V. I plan on setting up a VPN for remote administration

sparky
09-03-2016, 23:09
Hi
I use Server 2012 R2 Core.

It works really well.

I use RDP to connect and then 5Nine Manager to manage the HyperV.

See
http://www.markthompson.me.uk/post/s...rt-and-hyper-v

I agree with the sentiments about using RSAT over the internet. It would make me nervous.

RandomThoughts
09-03-2016, 13:21
1) Since this is a Core install (no GUI), I'm not sure RDP would be very useful. I'm making some progress with getting RSAT to work but this is all just for learning purposes only and I'll probably be rebuilding the Windows VPS in the near future

2) I have been planning on installing Strongswan on one of my Fedora VPS's, though I might try it on the Windows one

alvaroag
09-03-2016, 01:32
I won't recommend you using remote admistration tools over the internet, as it may not be fully secure.

I consider two alternatives for this:

1) Manage it using Remote Desktop. Any Windows Server license includes remote desktop for administration only, so you may not require CALs.
2) Setup an OpenVPN server on your Windows VM, and use the remote administration tools through the VPN. You can disable the VPN interface on the 3 firewall zones, as it may be considered a "trusted" network, so you may not require aditional firewall rules.

RandomThoughts
08-03-2016, 23:55
Thanks for the reply, I managed to set the IP addresses by using bits from various websites I found. I didn't realise you could set the MAC from VSphere, thanks for that, was looking for a solution for ages.

Only problem now is connecting to it via Remote Server Administration Tools, might be a firewall issue, but shouldn't be since remote administration is enabled on the server

alvaroag
08-03-2016, 23:23
You may not change the MAC address from the Windows guest, but from the vmware vSphere Client. Regarding the gateway, you should be only receiving a warning, something like "are you sure?", but may be able to set the gateway outside of the subnet anyway. Remember the network mask must be "255.255.255.255", and the gateway must be the same as in your host.

RandomThoughts
08-03-2016, 21:56
Hi all,

A few days ago I ordered a SyS server with 16 FO IP's and installed VMWare ESXi 6.0 on it. Things are going well with the Linux VPS's I've created, but I'm running into a problem with Windows Server 2012 Core in that it won't let me change the gateway to one outside its own subnet, and I can't find a way of changing the MAC (HW address?) of the network interface to the virtual MAC I created for the IP address.

Anyone dealt with this sort of thing before?