OVH Community, your new community space.

Seeking guidance for VPS regarding reverse dns and mail server

ImMac
23-04-2016, 11:56
Hi alvaroag,

Thank you for your very down to earth well explained post I will follow it in a bit and let you know how I got on

2 more questions I have, is you meantioned
- Configure your OS configuration, as well as postfix configuration(main.cf) so the hostname on both will be set to "mail.DOMAIN.COM"
Do you mean that the hostname for my server should become mail.domain.com , or something else ?

The 2nd question is what is the best mail server for a VPS SSD 1 setting.
At the present moment I have Teamspeak, apache, php, mysql installed and configured and I am running at
Code:
# free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          1829        553       1275          0         82        347
-/+ buffers/cache:        124       1705
Swap:            0          0          0
I might add you on skype later also

Regards,

Mac.

alvaroag
23-04-2016, 01:14
Hi. If you plan to host many domain into a single mail server, you must first set one of them to be your "main" domain; all the other domains will be dependant on the main one, so you must be careful on choosing your main one. Let's assume it's "DOMAIN.COM".

Suppose your mail server is "mail.DOMAIN.COM", and it has IP "1.2.3.4". Then, you have to:

- Create an "A" record for "mail.DOMAIN.COM", which resolves to "1.2.3.4"
- Create an "MX" record on "DOMAIN.COM" and any other domain you will host mail for, with value "mail.DOMAIN.COM" and priority 1.
- Create a "TXT" record on "DOMAIN.COM" and any other domain you will host mail for, with value "v=spf1 mx -all"
- Configure your OS configuration, as well as postfix configuration(main.cf) so the hostname on both will be set to "mail.DOMAIN.COM"
- Go to your OVH Manager, IP section on the left, and change the reverse name for your IP "1.2.3.4" to "mail.DOMAIN.COM."

The you can test it with various tools. I'd recommend this one: http://mxtoolbox.com/ . Just type your domain name, and click on "MX Lookup". After that, on the results, click "SMTP Test" to the right of your mail server hostname & IP.

If you have any further question, feel free to conect me via Skype (a.aguayo).

ImMac
22-04-2016, 20:53
Hey all,

So I took a punt on a VPS in a bid to learn and do away with the over rated reseller stuff

However being somewhat new to this I seem to have gotten lost. I want to set up a mail server, and I know that having a reverse dns for my domains would be best so that I minimise the risk of being marked as spam. This is where im stuck, setting up the dns (If I have to) and configuring each domain for reverse DNS.

Can anyone shed any light on this please ?

Thank you.