OVH Community, your new community space.

Server Trying to PXE Boot before attempting hdd boot?

JoshW
12-06-2016, 20:21
Ahhh right, never even thought about that! Thanks for the info!

alvaroag
12-06-2016, 20:10
Just ignore it. It's part of OVH configuration. Let me explain:

They cannot change the BIOS boot sequence from their backend, as no BIOS(up to my knowledge) supports remote configuration changes. But they have to be able to change the boot device, in order to make the server boot from network, install system, or rescue system. Then, the best option is to make all the servers boot from network(PXE), and then let the boot server choose whether the server should boot from the hdd, install system, or rescue system, in order to provide the adequate boot image.

So, you don't have to take care of that, it's normal according to OVH configuration. If you managed to access the BIOS setup and change the boot sequence, you would loose the ability to reinstall your server or boot in rescue system.

JoshW
12-06-2016, 19:00
Hi,

I've noticed recently that every time i reboot my server (HOST-64L) I see it trying to contact a network boot server even though it is configured in the OVH manager as hd only.... why does it do this?

mashing the escape key manages to abort the PXE boot but I cant always open the IPMI Console to mash ESC while rebooting...

and my last question is.... how do i disable the network boot option so that it CANT PXE boot?