OVH Community, your new community space.

VPS Issues

alvaroag
27-06-2016, 18:10
It would surprise me that Plesk does not includes a firewall. Anyway, try what I said, connect to the KVM console from the manager. What I intend with that is to tell apart between a SSHd problem vs an OS problem.

NathanK
27-06-2016, 18:01
Quote Originally Posted by alvaroag
I've never used Plesk before, but I remember I helped a user with cPanel who had missconfigured cpHulk, and it was blocking everybody from SSH after too few tries. Don't know if Plesk as something like that, but, if it has, maybe the default configuration is too restrictive and you are getting blocked after some bot tries to enter.

Another option, do you get console access from the Manager? If you can, try restarting SSHd and then login from SSH again.
Quote Originally Posted by NathanK
Hello,

I am having some issues with my VPS, Every so often the SSH gets locked out, Could it be caused by bruteforce attacks?

When I connect to the SSH it just closes straight away, I have not touched OS since I deployed it with the automatic install of " Parallels Plesk 12 on Ubuntu 14.04 (64 bits)"

I have used MobaXterm and Putty, I get the same issue with both.

I have previously had to reinstall my VPS because I can't get onto the SSH, It's getting really thrustrating now, I have to reinstall the entire VPS every month... Is this a bug with the automatic installations?

I thought it might be this issue, I don't have any firewall installed, I just have the standard OVH firewall on the back-end... Maybe I could drop all connection attempts on port 22 except my IP?

24x7servermanag
27-06-2016, 09:36
I think its happening because of brute force attack on SSH. Do you have any firewall installed like CSF ? Parallels firewall ?

alvaroag
26-06-2016, 03:50
I've never used Plesk before, but I remember I helped a user with cPanel who had missconfigured cpHulk, and it was blocking everybody from SSH after too few tries. Don't know if Plesk as something like that, but, if it has, maybe the default configuration is too restrictive and you are getting blocked after some bot tries to enter.

Another option, do you get console access from the Manager? If you can, try restarting SSHd and then login from SSH again.

NathanK
25-06-2016, 20:31
Hello,

I am having some issues with my VPS, Every so often the SSH gets locked out, Could it be caused by bruteforce attacks?

When I connect to the SSH it just closes straight away, I have not touched OS since I deployed it with the automatic install of " Parallels Plesk 12 on Ubuntu 14.04 (64 bits)"

I have used MobaXterm and Putty, I get the same issue with both.

I have previously had to reinstall my VPS because I can't get onto the SSH, It's getting really thrustrating now, I have to reinstall the entire VPS every month... Is this a bug with the automatic installations?