OVH Community, your new community space.

EG Best of question

Trident291
17-11-2008, 15:49
Thanks Ricky mate. As you predicted neither the write or performance were ticked. Why do they make life so hard sometimes lol. Thanks mate again.

rickyday
13-11-2008, 17:24
With windows machines, check that write caching is actually enabled on the disk via device manager, for some strange reason it switched itself off on one my servers, which made the disk performance abysmal.

slayer2005
13-11-2008, 17:02
Quote Originally Posted by Trident291
Thats just it though. Writing to disc takes ages. If i download a 4 gig file i have to wait 10 minutes after it has finished for it to finish writing.
question...are u using windows?
i trake it u are,the gbits are terrible with windows.
as u say takes ages to write to the disk.
disk overload,clients crash.
best advice if you are using win is to move to ubuntu desktop.
if ur not a linux man dont worry ubuntu desktop is basically a mirror of windows.
easy to use and ul get good speeds without any crashes.

Trident291
13-11-2008, 16:10
Thats just it though. Writing to disc takes ages. If i download a 4 gig file i have to wait 10 minutes after it has finished for it to finish writing.

wackomoo
13-11-2008, 14:26
With the 2x750GB - These are put in "RAID" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redunda...ependent_disks )
I'm not sure, but I -think- you can chose if you want mirror raid or stripe raid, although this would probably require a new setup of your server.

When you say "Crashing" the connection what do you mean by that? Your server crashes? The transfer slows down? It never goes over ~10MB/s?
You can probably speed test from http://mir1.ovh.net/ftp.ubuntu.com/r...ktop-amd64.iso - OVH's own mirror, I'd bet it's on gigabit.
Which OS do you use?
Windows: Start>Run>cmd>tracert somewebsite.com
linux: [in shell prompt] traceroute somewebsite.com

Transferring files shouldn't be using your RAM - they write directly to disk.

Trident291
13-11-2008, 13:36
Hi ole. In know way am I trying to put OVH but i noticed alot of angry customers replying about the 1 GPS connection. I am one of those on the connection and seem to be having a lot of trouble even downloading at 10MB/s without it crashing. There are ways of checking a connection I believe such as traceroute etc. Could you explain how i could do this. I also only found out yesterday that instead of the 2 X 750GB HDD's I thought I was getting that in fact there is only one and the other is just a back up in case the first one fails. I feel it would of been better if this was explained a little better of the advertised page that that was the case. Like I said I aint trying to knock ovh as I've had servers before and never had any problems except for now.

Thanks in advance

rickyday
12-11-2008, 12:05
Yooty Oles is trying to help you, he can only offer help and support once he has the correct information, which he has mentioned above.

Oles is a very nice chilled Frenchman, you couldnt want to meet a nicer owner

yooty
12-11-2008, 11:25
oles@ovh.net

i didn't say ovh is bad,i was having the same problem as Trident291 but it's corrected it's self now has i knew it would,chill.

oles@ovh.net
12-11-2008, 10:58
yooty a écrit:
>
> Same problem here,web page takes for ever,it reminds me of the dial up
> days.

there is no problem until you send the proof. the proof begins with
the name of server. no name of the server ? anonymous post. just
because you want to say "ovh is bad". and it wont' work with no
proofs.

so, do you have the proofs ?

yooty
12-11-2008, 09:58
Same problem here,web page takes for ever,it reminds me of the dial up days.

Trident291
12-11-2008, 09:08
I have recently purchased one of these to see what the speed is like on the 1Gbps connection. After having a load of problems I have found that the only stable download speed I can use without filling up the RAM is around 250Kb/s? This confused me somewhat as I have had servers from here before on the 100Mbit connection and they perfectly fine. So obviously upgrading the connection along with a quad core and 4GB of RAM thinks should be running even better, unfortunately not though. I also noticed in the specs that there are supposed to be 2 X 750GB SATA2 - RAID 1 HDD's? I only have 1 on mine and thats an SCSI drive? One last question which has just started happening this morning. Even with nothing running at all on the box it is taking up to 5 minutes to load a single webpage. While waiting for this I tried to open the start menu to get to the task manager so I could see where the load was coming from to produce such a low performance. Only then did I find that this completely froze the server and I had to reboot from My Manager. I appreciate that sometimes things can go wrong but to advertise a 1Gbps connection and get less than 100Mbit on a far superior system is a little hard to swallow.

Many thanks in advance if you can help solve this problem.