OVH Community, your new community space.

RPS or VPS

randomuser
18-11-2008, 11:53
Excellent, I probably will go for the RPS, would rather have my own hardware.

thanks to both of you for getting back to me, much appreciated.

freshwire
17-11-2008, 12:01
I think an RPS would be best option.

A vps could occasionally lag out on your game server if several other vps users suddenly decide to hit hard on the cpu.

Andy
17-11-2008, 11:22
Quote Originally Posted by randomuser
Hey all, I'm considering purchasing either the VPS at £8.45 or the RPS at £9.99 so I was hoping I could ask some advice.

I'm wanting to run several websites (say 10000 visitors a week in total), a Counter Strike 1.6 server and a shoutcast server so what would be the best package to get? Or should I ask which of packages will be able to handle that load better since my budget is £10 so dedicated is out?
VPS is virtual server where as RPS is a real server. With RPS you get your own hardware, so you are guaranteed the memory and the cpu. The only thing shared is the hard disk.

Does anyone have both the VPS and RPS and could get some benchmarks from them?
You'll have to wait for someone else on this unfortunately.

After reading some of the forums there seems to be some issues regarding bandwidth, its being claimed that the 'unlimited' is false advertising, can anyone clear that up?
The bandwidth is unlimited. The only "limitation" is if you use your 100Mbps connection at over 10Mbps for 36 hours in 1 month, the speed is limited to 10Mbps. This still gives you at least 3.3TB of bandwidth per month regardless. The burst is there purely for spikes in traffic, not so you can use it all the time.

You might think this is a con, it says 100Mbps unlimited, but seriously, do you think £10 will pay for 100Mbps? £10 pays for 10Mbps, if you are lucky, so you're actually getting more than you pay for.

Apart from the monthly fee is there any other costs?
No, there are no hidden costs. Everything you pay for is explained on the order page before you give any card details.

Anything else you think I should know?
RPS only supports linux at the moment so you should have a decent knowledge in linux before you even think of getting an RPS.

Also since the hard disk is shared, and is over the Ethernet connection, its speed is limited to 100Mbps.

Thanks.

Andy.

P.S Can someone who has a decent sized site and uses either VPS or RPS post a link to see how your site works.
I hope I could help.

randomuser
17-11-2008, 08:01
Hey all, I'm considering purchasing either the VPS at £8.45 or the RPS at £9.99 so I was hoping I could ask some advice.

I'm wanting to run several websites (say 10000 visitors a week in total), a Counter Strike 1.6 server and a shoutcast server so what would be the best package to get? Or should I ask which of packages will be able to handle that load better since my budget is £10 so dedicated is out?

Does anyone have both the VPS and RPS and could get some benchmarks from them?

After reading some of the forums there seems to be some issues regarding bandwidth, its being claimed that the 'unlimited' is false advertising, can anyone clear that up?

Apart from the monthly fee is there any other costs?

Anything else you think I should know?

Thanks.

Andy.

P.S Can someone who has a decent sized site and uses either VPS or RPS post a link to see how your site works.