OVH Community, your new community space.

ESXi 6.0 with 25 guest VMs

alvaroag
22-11-2016, 22:41
Hi. Not all the servers are customizable, only the Big Data (HG) series. You have two options:

1) With the Enterprise range, go to https://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/enterprise/ , look for the MG-256, click the plus "+" icon to the left, and more alternatives will show for that model; you might be more interested in the ones that have "HARD" in the "Disks" column. The more interesting configurations for your intended usage are:
- 4 x 800 GB SSD HARD, which I'd recommend to configure as RAID0+1 (or RAID0 entirely if you have no valuable data there)
- 3 x 2 TB HARD, as RAID1
- 2 x 2 TB + 2 x480GB SSD HARD, as RAID1 on each pair: SSD pair for OS, HDD pair for VMs

2) The Big Data ranges. They are a bit more expensive, but have more power and are more customizable. Go to https://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/HG/ , look for "HG-3", and click on Configure. You will then step by step be able to customize your server and will get the price for it before proceeding to place the order.

marin
22-11-2016, 16:21
Quote Originally Posted by alvaroag
Hi. Do you really need to have the hypervisor under your own control? If not, you'd probably prefer to use Public Cloud Instances, with a particular advantage: you can create & destroy them quickly, paying only for the time your VM exists, or a fixed monthly price if you need it for a complete month.

If you still need to get full control of the hypervisor, take a look to the MG-256 (Enterprise) or HG-3 (Big Data). Both of those may have the power to host what you need. Adding several disks with a hardware RAID controller may help you with high HDD activity.

Also, if you don't need all the VMs to reside in a single hypervisor, you can try using two or more less expensive servers, like SP-64 or SP-128
Thank you alvaroag. I need these perpetually so I think I will have to go with the hypervisor. It is the cheapest option since e.g. AWS Worspaces are 30 USD per instance. May I ask you how to add several disks with a hardware RAID in OVH? The OVH sales person told me that the servers are not customizable so I am a bit confused now.

alvaroag
22-11-2016, 15:33
Hi. Do you really need to have the hypervisor under your own control? If not, you'd probably prefer to use Public Cloud Instances, with a particular advantage: you can create & destroy them quickly, paying only for the time your VM exists, or a fixed monthly price if you need it for a complete month.

If you still need to get full control of the hypervisor, take a look to the MG-256 (Enterprise) or HG-3 (Big Data). Both of those may have the power to host what you need. Adding several disks with a hardware RAID controller may help you with high HDD activity.

Also, if you don't need all the VMs to reside in a single hypervisor, you can try using two or more less expensive servers, like SP-64 or SP-128

marin
22-11-2016, 14:12
Hi,
I want to buy a monthly subscription for a OVH server with ESXi 6.0 for a testing environment with 25 guests.
Each of the guests needs to have 2 vCPUs, 2 GB of RAM and 30 GB of HDD. HDD activity may be high due to the application we will use on guest VMs. There will be no need for the VMs to communicate with each other but they should have different public IPs (if possible).
Could you please advise on what you would suggest to choose from the ovh range? Thanks!!!!

Marin