OVH Community, your new community space.

New to OVH and Need Advise from existing OVH members

Dani
22-01-2017, 22:14
Quote Originally Posted by sharma1500
3) I need to add 2TB HDD as onsite backup, are they providing any discount or is there any offer or deal to get discount ?
Hi

There is also the option of adding another server assuming your first server is vRack enabled. This will allow you to have the 2nd server in a different OVH datacenter and backup via a private vLan of your own.

https://www.ovh.co.uk/solutions/vrack/

Thanks

Danny

alvaroag
22-01-2017, 02:04
1) Why OVH support tickets are getting answered very slow ? ( Average response time 18-20 hrs ) is there anyway to expedite this ?.
That's how it works, never expect anything really fast there. VIP support is supposed to help, but I'm not sure how much, or if it's still offered. Some times, you can get a faster response if you call support directly.

2) The DDoS protection from OVH is real ? checking reviews it won't help layer 4, Layer 7 and application based attacks! Any advise in to this ?.
It's real, but maybe you are not fully understanding what it is. It works up to Level 4, but mostly on Layer 3. Basically, it detects different attack patterns and discard the traffic before it gets to your server(some times, even before it gets to the DC). This avoids many problems that could hit your server, such as hitting bandwidth limit, or even link saturation, as well as saturation of some services due to SYN flood or similar attacks, which put server apps up to their operative or resource limit. AntiDDOS will not save you from Layer 7 attacks, or any attack on any layer that is based on how your server OS or application react to network data. Layer 7 protection solutions are further more complex; for HTTP/HTTPS, there's Cloudflare, and there are similar services for other protocols.

3) I need to add 2TB HDD as onsite backup, are they providing any discount or is there any offer or deal to get discount?
Once the server is setup, you cannot add any new hard disk. However, you have two options for what you want:

a) Expand your include backup storage (500 GB). You can get 1 TB for €12 + VAT, 5 TB for €40 + VAT, or 10 TB for €60 + VAT. Remember this backup storage comes with no warranty, and many users have reported backup storage to be slow.

b) Dedicated NAS. Starting @ € 59 + VAT for 1.2 TB, it works with a RAID10 array of 4 or more disk(according to capacity), with high availability. If you have large and critical backups, this may be the better option. you can get up to 26.4 TB (with RAID10 composed of 44 disks) for €1298 + VAT.

sharma1500
22-01-2017, 01:36
Greetings!

Just bought my new dedicated server from OVH and transferred few of my sites here! from softlayer.. I've couple of questions and expecting advise from the fellow experts.

Problem:
My server management company reported packet loss from the main IP, snippet below ( IP's / Domain replaced as AAA,BBB and mydomain)
--
$ ping AAA.BBB.40.60
PING mydomain.com (AAA.BBB.40.60) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ip60.ip-AAA.BBB-40.net (AAA.BBB.40.60): icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=283 ms
64 bytes from ip60.ip-AAA.BBB-40.net (AAA.BBB.40.60): icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=283 ms
^C
--- ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 2 received, 33% packet loss, time 2000ms
They confirmed it's not DDoS but a minor network issue from their network. Then contacted them with MTR and tracert, but their first response received after 16 hours asking tons of questions with links ( 99% its a canned response ).

My questions:

1) Why OVH support tickets are getting answered very slow ? ( Average response time 18-20 hrs ) is there anyway to expedite this ?
2) The DDoS protection from OVH is real ? checking reviews it won't help layer 4, Layer 7 and application based attacks! Any advise in to this ?
3) I need to add 2TB HDD as onsite backup, are they providing any discount or is there any offer or deal to get discount ?

Thanks in advance.