OVH Community, your new community space.

Do you

xrcode
21-11-2008, 20:14
Ps. Oles If you have a hard time understanding me, we can communicate in french instead, just let me know.

xrcode
21-11-2008, 19:41
Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net
> My customer id is aj15010-ovh and my partners is wm9000-ovh

95th Out: 357.3 Mb/s Traffic Out: 78820.8 GB/month

You have to get Business extension of bandwidth: 300Mbps maybe will
work, I'm not sur. It depends where are your visitors. Ovh gives
you 100Mbps PER destination:
http://www.ovh.co.uk/individual/item...ve_hosting.xml

So if your visitors are only in USA/CA, I don't think it will work.
If you visitors are in Europe and you use all links (transit +
peering), it will work.

You have to know that 350Mbps/server it's lot of bandwidth.
And you need to understand how does it work to get the best
quality.

Yes we understand that this is alot of bandwidth oles and we plan on buying business SLA, but you must understand that we are burning this much already. The issue for us is this oles, we know how much bandwidth we are going to use, i monitor it all the time. It is working for us right now, Our vistitors are allover the world, very very spread out. I look at 100mbps like this - 100 (megabits per second) = 32 101.3651 gigabytes per month.

This means that we want to buy business SLA (300 megabits per second) = 96 304.0954 gigabytes per month) and add it to our total bandwidth usage.

We pay for 300mbps business sla, you lift the caps on all of our servers so we can use them all?

we want to be able to do 128TB per month, not limited to wich server we have, surely we can work something out since we are willing to pay for what we are getting free?

What we are asking is to just add the total of all servers we have with you, we cant have any server that is limited to 100mbps, that is no good for us, and we know how much bandwidth we need, before we need it, our problem is this. We need to have 400mbps total average outbound, the server we actually use at the time will always vary.

Is it possible for you to do that for us when we order our business sla bandwidth?

Do you understand what i am asking you?

Thanks.

oles@ovh.net
21-11-2008, 14:16
> My customer id is aj15010-ovh and my partners is wm9000-ovh

95th Out: 357.3 Mb/s Traffic Out: 78820.8 GB/month

You have to get Business extension of bandwidth: 300Mbps maybe will
work, I'm not sur. It depends where are your visitors. Ovh gives
you 100Mbps PER destination:

So if your visitors are only in USA/CA, I don't think it will work.
If you visitors are in Europe and you use all links (transit +
peering), it will work.

You have to know that 350Mbps/server it's lot of bandwidth.
And you need to understand how does it work to get the best
quality.

Paranoid
21-11-2008, 12:32
Quote Originally Posted by wackomoo
Paranoid, it means that you have 100mb across all your servers. The other options are per server.
Ok thanks. Looks like I have nothing to worry about since I only have 1 server.

wackomoo
21-11-2008, 12:15
Paranoid, it means that you have 100mb across all your servers. The other options are per server.

Paranoid
21-11-2008, 12:13
Just need some clarification on how these changes will effect a SP Mini I started last month. It`s on Premium SLA at the moment. Next time I renew the subscription will I have to change to one of the new bandwidth plans ?

Also since there isn't any difference in price between Premium, Traffic, Burstable the text below seems to be somewhat vague.

Premium Series: OVH to Internet - 100 Mbps SLA Premium (on all your infrastructure) ?
It gives an impression that there is no capping involved with this package which seems a bit odd when Traffic and Burstable have noticeable caps. Does the premium package contain any sort of capping such as 11am and 1am non-guaranteed internet bandwidth ?

If so I the premium package should reflect this as it`s misleading at the moment.

xrcode
21-11-2008, 11:35
Ok thank you for the quick reply, that is fine. I will spit it all out here
I will have to thourghly explain my situation to you and what we are looking to achieve, and I really hope that you can work with us. We are willing to pay for the bandwidth that we have been getting for free if you will adapt a little bit here for us, we need minor changes to the plan but all will work out the same for you at ovh.

We are currently hosting video chat rooms, that are very very CPU and bandwidth intensive. We started with an hg mini to run our services and it was great for us at first. I will post here our bandwidth averages (please please dont cap me we need to work something out) this is my current 'monthly' average for mrtg on our HG Mini.

Max Average Current
In 206.5 Mb/s (20.7%) 20.1 Mb/s (2.0%) 15.1 Mb/s (1.5%)
Out 435.6 Mb/s (43.6%) 250.8 Mb/s (25.1%) 209.2 Mb/s (20.9%)

The highest we have hit so far was 600mbps but that was not any time in the last month. We decided to order an MG Max to take some of the CPU load off our hg mini that we also use for webhosting but when we received the server it would not seem to go over 100mbps period, your prices said unmetered at first and there was no new bandwidths. We did not know that it was not going to work for us.

Thankfully when the hg mini suffered a change in bandwidth quality it wasnt bad enough to wreck it completely but service degraded. Anyway, instead of splitting the load up across the servers i had to leave all my clients on the hg mini because it was the the only one capable of doing more then 100mbps without lagging badly. With what i am doing, any of my clients can burst to over 100mbps for their chatroom
but as their will only be one or two rooms that have any load, and the rest will be pushing small ammounts. Since we got The MG Max its been absolutely usless for what we wanted it for, so i have been playing with different operating systems through your manager ( wich is A+ by the way great job)
while we waited for these new bandwidth plans to come out so we can figure out what we are doing.

We would like to continue purchasing servers and building our business. Right now ou MG max is no good to us because it cant go over 100mbps but the reason we got it was to split the load. We have two kimsufis wich we use for other things also and we are planning on getting into web and VPS hosting with more servers from ovh.

You say you get 100mbps per client outbound, i know i must admit we use more then that, and we like ovh. Can you work with us so that our servers are not capped if we pay our business SLA? We would like to have none of our servers with you capped at all so that i can move the load around between all of our servers. We will pay for business SLA bandwidth but can you work it so that we get our 100mbps that you offer per client say, and we will buy 300mbps business SLA bandwidth, but don't limit any of our servers and we will keep our total OUTBOUND bandwidth averages all servers combined under 400mbps.

I know how much bandwidth we need before we need it, right now 400mbps average for all servers will leave me lots of room to take on more clients. When it is time we can add on another 100 200 300 or 1000mbps business SLA, we dont mind paying for it now we are doing good and want to stay that way. please let us pay for total average outbound, and not limit it to just one server.

We need the limits lifted from our mg max so we can use it. but we also need to keep our hg mini going. we also plan on adding more servers soon but we need to be able to just pay averave outbound bandwidth, we can pay the price of business SLA. surely it is the same to you if we are paying for the bandwidth we need right.?

Basically what I am asking you to do, is give us our 100mbps per client, let us buy business SLA bandwidth, and add it on to our "per client pool" so that we can have all the servers we need with you, and pay for the bandwidth we need. It is better for both of us, you sell more servers and and we pay for our bandwidth we use outbound. And we get the advantage of being able to choose wich server is doing the work for when we need so that we can run our business efficiently, its a win win situation of you do this for us.

My name is Alex, thank you for your time oles

My customer id is aj15010-ovh and my partners is wm9000-ovh

ezdub
21-11-2008, 11:35
Going slightly off topic,

Oles it is nice to see the bandwidth now listed in the manager even though mine is unlimited it is nice for it to be there. It gives me a real idea on whats is going on.

As for all the new options it is much clearer now and you can see what is going on.

For me I will continue to stick with OVH and my bestof premium series. I am wonder if there is going to be any price changes between the Premium, traffic and burstable in the near future for new purchases of servers?

As my price wont change as has been stated in previous posts as I purchased before the changes came into place. It is not a problem at the moment I am just wondering if I buy more in the future, unless I have missed it somewhere.

oles@ovh.net
21-11-2008, 10:50
xrcode a écrit:
>
> Oles, my partner and I currently have four servers with you. We are
> happy with your services and the quality if the equipment, but we are
> heavy bandwidth users. We are looking at expanding our operations, and
> we will be purchasing many more servers if everything goes as planned.
> One thing i was wondering, originally when the new bandwidths were
> posted it said 300mbps burstable to 500mbps, is that still the case? or

non. we choose to propose very cheap bandwidth without any burst. and
not more expensive bandwidth with the burst.

> is it just capped to 300 period now? We currently use alot of bandwidth
> and we are looking to pay for our bandwidth to have better quality for
> us and our clients, but we want to be sure of what we are doing as it
> will effect the prices we need to charge for our services.
>
> Oles can I have permission to email you? I have some things i would
> like to discuss with you so that my parnter and I have a clear path to
> expansion. I would like to tell you what we need to be able to do and
> for you to assist us in the best solution for our needs.

I would prefer you post here. Maybe some another customers have the
same questions. It will allow to anwser once for a question. And I
prefer to have all transparent. All questions are allowed. No hidden
informations. I will try to anwser with my bad english.

xrcode
21-11-2008, 10:39
Yeah it just seems that I've been misinformed by the other OVH staff. It's a darn shame. I didn't meant to be rude (which is why I edited out the "Now what?" part almost immediately).

A suggestion for you here: Perhaps you could remove old posts here on the forum discussing bandwidth/SLA etc? As new customers (like me when I came here) won't know at what dates things changed; So when I search the forums and read about bandwidth/SLA (and seeing nothing, no posts or info in those threads, that would revert what was said there) I believed what I read there to be true (still).

While I don't use it, others do, and so this means to them that using OVH's FTP backup service would count towards their bandwidth usage?
On my manager it says ovh-ovh unlimited, and internet-ovh unlimited, but ovh-internet is 100mbps, is this way on both of my pro servers, so i dont beleive anything counts except outbound internet bandwidth, but yes i would like some things clarified. We are looking at buying the bandwidth that we are currently getting for free, so I need to know exactly how its going to work. I am wanting to talk to Octave privately so that i can discuss with him exactly what my needs are and he can work out a suitable solution with me.

wackomoo
21-11-2008, 10:25
> Now what?

You have to reread what I posted. I check with Anne-So the support's anwser.
Yeah it just seems that I've been misinformed by the other OVH staff. It's a darn shame. I didn't meant to be rude (which is why I edited out the "Now what?" part almost immediately).

A suggestion for you here: Perhaps you could remove old posts here on the forum discussing bandwidth/SLA etc? As new customers (like me when I came here) won't know at what dates things changed; So when I search the forums and read about bandwidth/SLA (and seeing nothing, no posts or info in those threads, that would revert what was said there) I believed what I read there to be true (still).

Re-reading previous posts (thanks xrcode but sparking a light in my brain ), I... I'm ever more confuzed :P

95% is calculed on the switchport. it means OVH/Internet (transit + peering)
+ OVH/OVH. All trafic coming from the server to the network. We don't
care about the trafic Internet/OVH. So it's just from the server to the
network (OVH + Internet).
Wow, hold it right there!
This is a major change - especially as downloading from OVH will surely spike the download peak to close to 100mbit. This will greatly affect the 95th percentile!
This is a very big, bad, change from what I was told before by OVH Staff - Where OVH traffic didn't count.
Okay, so I said it wrong here. "especially as downloading from OVH will surely spike the download peak to close to 100mbit". But it still applies if I say "especially as if other servers in OVH download fromy mine, as this will surely spike the upload peak to close to 100mbit".
No incoming traffics counts - which is great and much appreciated. But outgoing to other OVH still counts.

Am I more correct now? :P

I'm now confused about this:
95% was introducted 3 months ago. It couldn't change since we had none. There is no possibility to do it in the an another way: it works on the switchport of your dedicated server.
If it's all counted at the switchport and it's the only way to be done - then how can you have different speeds to Transit and Peering/OVH?

xrcode
21-11-2008, 10:07
Oles, my partner and I currently have four servers with you. We are happy with your services and the quality if the equipment, but we are heavy bandwidth users. We are looking at expanding our operations, and we will be purchasing many more servers if everything goes as planned. One thing i was wondering, originally when the new bandwidths were posted it said 300mbps burstable to 500mbps, is that still the case? or is it just capped to 300 period now? We currently use alot of bandwidth and we are looking to pay for our bandwidth to have better quality for us and our clients, but we want to be sure of what we are doing as it will effect the prices we need to charge for our services.

Oles can I have permission to email you? I have some things i would like to discuss with you so that my parnter and I have a clear path to expansion. I would like to tell you what we need to be able to do and for you to assist us in the best solution for our needs.

Thanks in advance.

oles@ovh.net
21-11-2008, 09:48
undisclosedp a écrit:
>
> And this
>
> traceroute bethere.co.uk
> traceroute to bethere.co.uk (87.194.0.70), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
> 1 rbx-41-m1.routers.ovh.net (91.121.133.253) 0.610 ms 0.548 ms
> 0.474 ms
> 2 rbx-1-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.251.191.1) 0.605 ms * 20.217 ms
> 3 20g.ldn-1-6k.routers.ovh.net (91.121.131.14) 4.768 ms 4.316 ms
> 4.258 ms
> 4 ge3-0.pr1.lhr1.uk.above.net (195.66.224.76) 9.161 ms 8.676 ms

it's a peering for us.

oles@ovh.net
21-11-2008, 09:46
> Now what?

You have to reread what I posted. I check with Anne-So the support's anwser.

wackomoo
21-11-2008, 09:35
> This is a major change - especially as downloading from OVH will surely
> spike the download peak to close to 100mbit. This will greatly affect
> the 95th percentile!
> This is a very big, bad, change from what I was told before by OVH
> Staff - Where OVH traffic didn't count.

95% was introducted 3 months ago. It couldn't change since we had
none. There is no possibility to do it in the an another way: it
works on the switchport of your dedicated server.
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
customersupport@OVH.co.uk
Hello

No downloading and uploading within OVH's network does not count towards your SLA.

Kind Regards,

Neil

OVH.co.uk
I won't call it lying, but someone is very, very misinformed. To be honest, I just sent him the questions about bandwidth/SLA to be 110% sure as I thought I knew from OVH staff's posts in the forums here that traffic internally in OVH did not count, but I wanted to have extra confirmation.

slayer2005
21-11-2008, 00:22
Quote Originally Posted by HANNApree
?OH BOY kim USERS WHAT YOU GET IS WHAT YOU PAY HOW SIMPLY CAN IT BE FROM OVH?
Agreed and still what you pay you wont get any better.

undisclosedp
21-11-2008, 00:20
And this

traceroute bethere.co.uk
traceroute to bethere.co.uk (87.194.0.70), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 rbx-41-m1.routers.ovh.net (91.121.133.253) 0.610 ms 0.548 ms 0.474 ms
2 rbx-1-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.251.191.1) 0.605 ms * 20.217 ms
3 20g.ldn-1-6k.routers.ovh.net (91.121.131.14) 4.768 ms 4.316 ms 4.258 ms
4 ge3-0.pr1.lhr1.uk.above.net (195.66.224.76) 9.161 ms 8.676 ms 9.016 ms
5 * * *
6 * * *
7 * * *
8 * *

and back:

traceroute ovh.co.uk
traceroute to ovh.co.uk (87.98.255.34), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 DD-WRT (192.168.1.1) 2.217 ms 2.622 ms 3.071 ms
2 87-194-56-1.bethere.co.uk (87.194.56.1) 19.499 ms 19.832 ms 23.760 ms
3 213.161.72.69 (213.161.72.69) 33.279 ms 35.606 ms 36.264 ms
4 so-1-0-0.mpr1.lhr2.uk.above.net (64.125.28.38) 21.186 ms 23.813 ms 23.979 ms
5 ge1-10.mpr2.cdg2.fr.above.net (64.125.23.21) 32.606 ms 33.372 ms 35.779 ms
6 te2-1.mpr1.cdg9.fr.above.net (64.125.23.5) 36.488 ms 21.843 ms te2-2.mpr1.cdg9.fr.above.net (64.125.23.17) 21.639 ms
7 2g.above.gsw-1-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.186.32.233) 29.585 ms * *
8 * * *
9 10g.p19-52-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.186.32.230) 27.947 ms * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *

Is it a transit link or a peering link. According to the link you posted its a transit, therefore I risk being affected by the transit limits. Am I correct?

HANNApree
21-11-2008, 00:16
?OH BOY kim USERS WHAT YOU GET IS WHAT YOU PAY HOW SIMPLY CAN IT BE FROM OVH?

oles@ovh.net
21-11-2008, 00:10
undisclosedp a écrit:
>
> Wow, many thanks for your detailed response Octave, it really is much
> appreciated! I do appreciate what you are saying, and personally I have
> no real issue with it. It's just the kimsufi site does not explain it as
> well as you have done here! But I am Happy now!
>
> Can I however ask my third question again?
>>
>> 3) What links actually count as transit, and what links count as
>> peering. I ask because, my traffic to OVH from be (in the uk) passes via
>> above.net and not LINX (even though my ISP is present at LINX) is
>> above.net a peering link or a transit link? Is there a list of which
>> links are which? IF not there should be as it will stop a whole host of
>> questions in the vain of "My speeds suck in the uk, but my friend gets
>> 40 megabits" if we can lookup where the traffic is going ourselves.

> All I personally care about is is above.net a peering route or a
> transit route. But I would appreciate and answer to the whole question.

here
http://www.ovh.com/fr/particulier/it...ent_massif.xml
you have the list of the transit links and the peerings.

and it's easy to check: start the traceroute from your dedicated
server to an IP, and you can check if it's going thought a peering
point or a transit link.

an example:

$ traceroute www.o2.co.uk
traceroute to cms-pxy-vip.london.02.net (82.132.141.30), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 p19-52-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.186.33.159) 0.696 ms * 2.385 ms
2 10G.p19-7-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.186.32.229) 4.098 ms * 5.045 ms
3 * 80G.th1-1-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.186.32.134) 0.984 ms *
4 160G.rbx-1-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.186.32.194) 20.853 ms * 18.874 ms
5 20g.ldn-1-6k.routers.ovh.net (91.121.131.14) 8.214 ms 8.098 ms 7.979 ms
6 linx2.ukcore.bt.net (195.66.226.10) 8.107 ms 7.971 ms 7.899 ms
7 core2-pos0-1-5-0.ilford.ukcore.bt.net (62.6.201.121) 8.348 ms 8.187 ms 8.339 ms
8 iar1-tenge5-5.ilford.fixed.bt.net (194.74.77.222) 8.476 ms 8.282 ms 8.226 ms
9 62.172.57.202 (62.172.57.202) 8.346 ms 8.308 ms 8.353 ms
10 193.113.199.129 (193.113.199.129) 8.483 ms 8.439 ms 8.356 ms

you can see 5 (our london's router), 6 linx2 (bt's router). it's a peering
point. no limit.

$ traceroute www.ntl.co.uk
traceroute to www.ntl.com (62.253.165.47), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 p19-52-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.186.33.159) 0.676 ms * 0.678 ms
2 10G.p19-7-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.186.32.229) 4.202 ms * 4.320 ms
3 80G.th1-1-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.186.32.134) 4.216 ms * 115.664 ms
4 160G.rbx-1-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.186.32.194) 29.179 ms * 53.049 ms
5 40G.ams-1-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.251.130.66) 71.058 ms 248.414 ms 9.704 ms
6 amst-ic-1.inet.ntl.com (195.69.144.40) 9.610 ms 9.594 ms 9.488 ms
7 pop-bb-a-as0-0.network.virginmedia.net (213.105.175.5) 14.974 ms 15.077 ms 14.977 ms
8 win-bb-b-so-010-0.network.virginmedia.net (62.253.185.202) 16.977 ms 17.065 ms 16.971 ms
9 win-dc-b-v903.network.virginmedia.net (213.105.174.38) 17.106 ms 17.062 ms 16.977 ms

5 (our amsterdam's router) 6 ntl's routeur (amsix). peering point. no limit.

$ traceroute www.telia.com
traceroute to tsc.han.telia.se (193.44.158.99), 30 hops max, 40 byte packets
1 p19-52-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.186.33.159) 0.513 ms * 0.487 ms
2 10G.p19-7-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.186.32.229) 0.430 ms * 0.377 ms
3 80G.gsw-1-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.186.32.146) 0.853 ms
4 30G.gblx.gsw-1-6k.routers.ovh.net (213.186.32.249) 32.987 ms 4.010 ms 2.367 ms
5 prs-b4-link.telia.net (213.248.98.121) 4.733 ms 0.601 ms 0.614 ms
6 prs-bb2-pos7-1-0.telia.net (213.248.65.225) 0.735 ms prs-bb1-pos7-1-0.telia.net (213.248.65.221) 0.731 ms prs-bb2-link.telia.net (80.91.251.115) 0.725 ms
7 ffm-bb1-link.telia.net (80.91.254.204) 13.991 ms ffm-bb1-link.telia.net (80.91.252.230) 13.844 ms ffm-bb2-link.telia.net (80.91.248.66) 14.180 ms
8 s-bb1-link.telia.net (80.91.251.144) 38.613 ms s-bb2-link.telia.net (80.91.251.146) 44.195 ms s-bb2-link.telia.net (80.239.147.177) 36.083 ms
9 s-b4-link.telia.net (80.91.251.21) 39.828 ms s-b1-link.telia.net (80.91.254.109) 36.226 ms s-b4-link.telia.net (80.91.251.21) 38.527 ms
10 hy-peer1-pos4-0.se.telia.net (213.248.101.141) 39.032 ms teliasonera-ic-109989-s-b1.c.telia.net (213.248.77.46) 36.258 ms 49.388 ms
11 hy-c5-link.se.telia.net (81.228.75.146) 36.969 ms hy-c5-link.se.telia.net (81.228.75.186) 39.760 ms hy-c5-link.se.telia.net (81.228.75.146) 36.835 ms
12 hdn-r-d2-link.se.telia.net (81.228.73.136) 39.120 ms 36.800 ms 38.933 ms
13 212.181.192.106 (212.181.192.106) 36.695 ms 50.158 ms 36.593 ms

3 our routeur, 4 global crossing router (transit) then telia. it's a transit
link.

oles@ovh.net
21-11-2008, 00:04
> This is a major change - especially as downloading from OVH will surely
> spike the download peak to close to 100mbit. This will greatly affect
> the 95th percentile!
> This is a very big, bad, change from what I was told before by OVH
> Staff - Where OVH traffic didn't count.

95% was introducted 3 months ago. It couldn't change since we had
none. There is no possibility to do it in the an another way: it
works on the switchport of your dedicated server.

mark.h
20-11-2008, 22:57
>

^^ This is not what we have been told, and not what you see in other responces from ovh staff, possibely yourself on this very fourm.

If you purely only care about traffic coming onto your network from our server, at the 'switchport', if i was on the per GB option,+at my limit and ran my weekly backup script i would effectly be paying to use your 'free backup ftp space'.

I belive we also have been told before that OVH to OVH, wouldnt be limited!

Mark

undisclosedp
20-11-2008, 22:43
Wow, many thanks for your detailed response Octave, it really is much appreciated! I do appreciate what you are saying, and personally I have no real issue with it. It's just the kimsufi site does not explain it as well as you have done here! But I am Happy now!

Can I however ask my third question again?
3) What links actually count as transit, and what links count as peering. I ask because, my traffic to OVH from be (in the uk) passes via above.net and not LINX (even though my ISP is present at LINX) is above.net a peering link or a transit link? Is there a list of which links are which? IF not there should be as it will stop a whole host of questions in the vain of "My speeds suck in the uk, but my friend gets 40 megabits" if we can lookup where the traffic is going ourselves.
All I personally care about is is above.net a peering route or a transit route. But I would appreciate and answer to the whole question.

wackomoo
20-11-2008, 22:35

Wow, hold it right there!
This is a major change - especially as downloading from OVH will surely spike the download peak to close to 100mbit. This will greatly affect the 95th percentile!
This is a very big, bad, change from what I was told before by OVH Staff - Where OVH traffic didn't count.

oles@ovh.net
20-11-2008, 21:42
> 1) What does "no longer guaranteed" actually MEAN. Are my threads
> limited by OVH in some way (to 10mbits as they are now) or could my
> threads (via transit) suddenly drop to 100kbs, and that's tough?
> Additionally are my threads via transit limited in ANY WAY before 11am
> (yes that includes the 10mbits, I call a spade a spade).

I understand your question, but let me anwser me in this way:
kimsufi is a NOT pro server. it means that we don't give you
the garantees of bandwidth. that is why on french version of
the kimsufi.com you have just 1 line "100Mbps not garanteed".
in our UK's version of the website kimsufi.co.uk, we give you
more informations about what does it mean" 100Mbps not garanteed".
if you read carefully you read that 100Mbps is garanteed (!!)
if you use < X Mbps (95%). So it's better that we announced
And what happenes when you use < X Mbps (95) ? you still have
100Mbps on our peerings (!!). Great ! And you have 100Mbps on the
transit links during the night (from 1an to 11am). Great !! But
from 11am to 1am I don't garantee you that you have 100Mbps.
You question is: how much do I have ? Hmm ... your question is
how much do you garantee me ? Well, we said "we don't garantee
it any more", and we can't say "we garantee X Mbps", because it's
a NOT pro server. I understand your question, but I have to anwser
you that I don't want to say you how much I garantee you since
you pay a very cheap server. And If I say you "I garantee you
X Mbps", what can I say to a PRO customer ? Why will he pay more
that you, if I can garantee you X Mbps for a cheap server ?

It's a very big problem for me. Because I would like you tell
you that kimsufi is great and I garantee you lot of things, but
I have lot of PRO customers and I can't do it. Because they won't
get any more the PRO servers, because Kimsufi has a garanteed
bandwidth. I did this mistake in Juin 2008 and I said in September
2008 "we have to stop it".

> 2) How is the 95th percentile judged, is it across just the transit, or
> all bandwidth? I ask because surely if I'm happily pushing 90mbits
> across the peering links for the whole month, and then I need full whack
> on the transit, for an hour, am I going to be "not guaranteed"? even
> though I've not pushed any traffic across transit? Does that seem right?

undisclosedp
20-11-2008, 21:20
So, correct me if i'm wrong, the kimsufi.co.uk "standard series" is the following:
Bandwidth limit of x mbps per month (8, 10 or 12) measured on the 95th percentile. If I exceed this my traffic is then no longer guaranteed on the transit links between 11am and 1am.

So, my questions.

1) What does "no longer guaranteed" actually MEAN. Are my threads limited by OVH in some way (to 10mbits as they are now) or could my threads (via transit) suddenly drop to 100kbs, and that's tough? Additionally are my threads via transit limited in ANY WAY before 11am (yes that includes the 10mbits, I call a spade a spade).
2) How is the 95th percentile judged, is it across just the transit, or all bandwidth? I ask because surely if I'm happily pushing 90mbits across the peering links for the whole month, and then I need full whack on the transit, for an hour, am I going to be "not guaranteed"? even though I've not pushed any traffic across transit? Does that seem right?
3) What links actually count as transit, and what links count as peering. I ask because, my traffic to OVH from be (in the uk) passes via above.net and not LINX (even though my ISP is present at LINX) is above.net a peering link or a transit link? Is there a list of which links are which? IF not there should be as it will stop a whole host of questions in the vain of "My speeds suck in the uk, but my friend gets 40 megabits" if we can lookup where the traffic is going ourselves.

Awaiting further explanation (although, not really counting on it)

UDP

Expat
20-11-2008, 19:49
Drop the setup fee on ovh.com and ill go pro forsure!

heathermist
20-11-2008, 19:06
Seems good to me
Now if only you drop setup fee for premium ovh sp mini servers on ovh.com/fr i'd live in a perfect world
i go with wackmoo, pls make ovh.com servers with no setup fees till New Yr, happy super new yr in advance.

oles@ovh.net
20-11-2008, 18:46
pete_w a écrit:
>
> Looks good to me also. The Standard package is particularly good (as its
> always been) for people who have most of their traffic from the uk and
> europe - which is going to mostly be covered by peering.

I LOVE IT yes

that what I wanted to hear ! Yes ! Standard is BETTER that GB/mo and
Burstable ! And if you don't trust in Standard, you can get GN/mo
and you will get more GB/mo that elsewhere. Then when you trust Ovh
you will be able to get more with Standard

*Mikee*
20-11-2008, 18:42
Yeah i agree on this 1 --

pete_w
20-11-2008, 18:39
Looks good to me also. The Standard package is particularly good (as its always been) for people who have most of their traffic from the uk and europe - which is going to mostly be covered by peering.

The new traffic option also has generous bandwidth allowances which compare favourably to most other hosts, especially european based ones.

wackomoo
20-11-2008, 18:27
Seems good to me
Now if only you drop setup fee for premium ovh sp mini servers on ovh.com/fr i'd live in a perfect world

oles@ovh.net
20-11-2008, 18:02
Hi There,
Do you prefer this version ?

http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/
http://www.ovh.co.uk/individual/prod...rplan_mini.xml

As you can see, we have the "old" Standard and Premium bandwidth.
No changes (from September):
- standard: no guaranteed 100Mbps (you have now all information
about what, when, how and why)
- premium: 100Mbps/infrastructure (alias 101Mbps/customer)
more about premium (alias how to get more that 100Mbps):
No extra payment if you make the extra, but the OVH/Internet (transit)
bandwidth isn't guaranteed if you make the extra.

It's the exactly the same offer. As you love the technical information
all is said on UK's version.

You have 2 new bandwidth strategy:
- GB/month with an extra payment if you make the extra
- Burstable: no extra payment if you make the extra and
you have guaranteed bandwidth OVH/Internet (transit + peering)

And you have the unmetered bandwidth per server: 100,200,300,1Gbps
with 100Mbps guaranteed per transit link:

In 2-3 days you will be able:
- to order the unmetered bandwidth for each server (only for PRO)
- switch from Standard to GB/mo or Burstable and from GB/mo to
Burstable or Standard and from Burstable to GB/mo and Standard
(the same with Premium)

Do you have any new questions ?

Regards,
Octave