OVH Community, your new community space.

Primary Disc space full!! Kimsufi Basic

freshwire
22-11-2008, 21:14
Remove things from /tmp

Clear any old logs from /var/log/

That should give you a little more space to play with

Dave
22-11-2008, 19:56
I think where he was referring to the root hard drive he in fact meant the boot hard drive not the folder, if you didn't put the "stuff" there then its most likely logs.

If I were you I would be looking at the config file for the main services you run, web servers, mail servers, ftp server etc to find out where they store their log files and purge them (check the correct procedure to do this before you rm -rf them else you may end up disabling the service)

If your running CentOS then I'd run 'yum clean all' as well, this clears yum's cached packages and headers (I found mine to be taking 800Mb today).

To find the largest directory's try this command, it can be invaluable at finding disk space hogging folders:
Code:
du -a / | sort -n -r | head -n 10
For more information on this command goto: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-do-...sd-filesystem/

xrcode
21-11-2008, 09:56
Quote Originally Posted by frostystart
I know that now but what can I do to rectify the problem?
You can just transfer some of your files you may have on that partition to /home

frostystart
21-11-2008, 09:47
Quote Originally Posted by wackomoo
you shouldnt really store anything in the root, you can keep everything in /home
I know that now but what can I do to rectify the problem?

wackomoo
21-11-2008, 09:28
you shouldnt really store anything in the root, you can keep everything in /home

frostystart
21-11-2008, 08:42
Hi My root harddrive disk space is full 5 gig, I need to free off some space or allocate more space to the drive, There is a lot of stuff in the root hardrive that I didnt put there, can I get rid of any of it?

All I use the server for is shoutcast radio servers

I am trying to install cast control but there is no space for it!.

Only learned the other day all my space is in /home directory

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 5.0G 4.9G 0 100% /
/dev/sda2 224G 540M 212G 1% /home
/dev/shm 486M 0 486M 0% /dev/shm
/usr/tmpDSK 485M 11M 449M 3% /tmp

Thanks FS