OVH Community, your new community space.

OVH's new bandwidth regime explained

Andy
09-08-2009, 16:08
Traffic series includes all outgoing traffic, peering, transit and ovh-ovh. There is no way for OVH to determine where the bandwidth is going at the moment.

antdgar
09-08-2009, 16:07
how can we then find out how much bandwidth we are using over transit or 'ovh to ovh'?
because with the new 3TB limit plans (before speed is crippled) the 3TB only means transit, right?

but in 'manager' it only shows bandwidth for everything...

is there a way to view how much transit bandwidth we have used?!
for example, maybe i used 3TB but that's all ovh-to-ovh. Therefore I have 3TB 'spare' which could be used for transit. At the moment, there seems to be no way to know this.

Andy
13-05-2009, 13:55
No, you can't. You get 100Mbps on the SP servers but it means you can then have two with 100Mbps guaranteed on each. It does state that it is dependant on the NIC speed with a * next to it...

dennis01
13-05-2009, 13:54
Let me get this straight on SuperPlan BestOF you can have two nic's ??
To give 200Mbps

If that is correct how do you get the second ??

rickyday
25-04-2009, 19:29
Top priority to customers in their 30s

Seedbox Paradis
25-04-2009, 07:46
Quote Originally Posted by Ashley
Based on social status, income, are you a home owner and whether you are able to reproduce.
ROFL

Andy
24-04-2009, 15:28
Based on social status, income, are you a home owner and whether you are able to reproduce.
LOL, sometimes feels like it...

Ashley
24-04-2009, 15:27
Quote Originally Posted by phillip
How's priority calculated?

Andy
24-04-2009, 15:14
When you hit 9 servers, OVH updates your total allowance for free to 225mbps?
Correct. And then 25Mbps more for every server you buy after that, up to 100 servers.

The same for Kimsufi, but 10Mbps more up to 100 servers.

Ashley
24-04-2009, 15:06
When you hit 9 servers, OVH updates your total allowance for free to 225mbps?

Andy
24-04-2009, 14:57
I have updated the first post to reflect OVH's changes to the bandwidth regime. Its mostly unchanged but includes a better explanation and more detail.

Bilge
23-04-2009, 17:49
You genuinely cannot see a problem with that... that "sentence"? It's like you're using English words, but you string them together in such a fashion as to create something which is so very far from anything resembling English at all.

Andy
23-04-2009, 16:26
Only on that bandwidth series yes, but others have different guarantees than others. You choose which is best for you.

Akd
23-04-2009, 16:25
Quote Originally Posted by Bilge
What.
Exactly what it sounds like. Bandwidth guaranteed over peering - not guaranteed over transit.

Bilge
23-04-2009, 16:21
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
For people who pass traffic mainly in Europe but has some outside EU visitors who and who don't need any guarantees to outside EU visitors
What.

Andy
22-04-2009, 10:12
No, the EG has a 100Mbps connection to the internet - full stop. You can't go beyond this. If you need more, you have to purchase unmetered business bandwidth, then you can choose 200Mbps and 300Mbps.

EDIT: It looks like soon when the new bandwidth changes come through, EG will have 200Mbps premium by default. Time to re-write the regime I think!

gigabit
22-04-2009, 01:01
The EG servers have 1Gbps ports but "OVH to Internet" is "100Mbit guarenteed" - so does this mean I can use more than 100Mbit if the network has the space but it just means i am guarenteed 100Mbit whenever and going past that isnt gurenteed? Thanks!

Keksz
15-02-2009, 14:53
A strange thing happened to me:

I had since 05/08/2008 a server with OVH but only 750GB hdd space (old server), and some c2d processor or AMD phenom (cant remember), BUT not a kimsufi (after this SLA change it got SLA Premium category).

I had download speeds to other countries like 8-10MB/sec.

Now I've changed the server because the new hardver (to have more HDD space), got SP Bestof, and NOW I have only 500KB/sec at download all the time, BUT the upload to the server at OVH is fine, avg 8MB/sec.

What the hell?
Why was the old server perfect, no speed problems all the time?

wackomoo
13-02-2009, 14:18
You can get the Platinum service, which is an extra 20-30/month, which gives faster response times and a higher SLA guarantee, although looking at it now the .co.uk site says it's only available on ovh.biz and I'm not sure if you can order from there?

iand
12-02-2009, 21:43
Quote Originally Posted by atifdarr
Yes, best to go for standard version as Ram is the main reason I am moving. MY MSSQL 2005 express db is eating-up the 1GB Ram on my 1and1.co.uk server.
have you tried memory liming mssql its well known that as standard it setup to use loads a ram should roughly be setup to use a quarter of your servers availible ram unless you running only mssql on server then it fine left as standard

rickyday
12-02-2009, 19:04
Please check this link for the differences between the different Windows Server 2003 editions

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc758523.aspx

atifdarr
12-02-2009, 16:31
Yes, best to go for standard version as Ram is the main reason I am moving. MY MSSQL 2005 express db is eating-up the 1GB Ram on my 1and1.co.uk server.

Andy
12-02-2009, 16:25
Hi

I was not aware that windows was extra. I don't think it will be possible to install your own copy? Are you aware of the difference between windows 2003 web and the standard edition?
No, you can't install your own copy at present.

Windows Web is restricted to 2GB (by MS not OVH) of RAM and is less powerful in terms of supplied software.

Windows Standard/Enterprise can cope with up to 8GB RAM I believe and comes with more supplied software.

OVH can't control the price, as that is set by Microsoft. Companies who choose to make theirs lower do so at their own loss. OVH can't afford to do that while they offer such low priced servers.

atifdarr
12-02-2009, 16:22
Hi

I was not aware that windows was extra. I don't think it will be possible to install your own copy? Are you aware of the difference between windows 2003 web and the standard edition?

Andy
12-02-2009, 12:54
Yes the 100Mbps is split between them until it hits 20Mbps per server, then that 100Mbps increases by 20Mbps per server you add all the way up to 2Gbps maximum. That is of course unless you buy business bandwidth in which case its 100Mbps (or 200/300/1000) unrestricted, since you're paying extra for it.

Remember to add VAT onto that price, and £15/£30 per month for windows should you use it.

24 hour support is being trialled at the moment, so things are looking up. Even so if your server goes down, the datacenter is staffed 24 hours a day so someone is always available to bring the server back up or replace hardware etc. Just remember its your responsibility to keep backups, not OVH's.

The service and support is the same for everyone, they don't give you priority just because you run what you would consider a critical website. Everyone gets the same treatment and in my view its not spectacular, but the job does get done. Remember all they replace is the hardware or fix hardware faults. The software is your responsibility.

atifdarr
12-02-2009, 12:36
Hi Andy, I think I have a good idea about the bandwidth after reading your article; basically upto 4 servers the 100Mbps is split up between them - right?

I understand they do deals with the hardware manufacturers, but for that spec and bandwidth - £59.99 is a steal. Is it a bare bones service - I note there is no 24hr support line. I have an ecommerce business and so every minute I am down I am potentially losing money - the downtime is usually caused by some misconfiguration - or as has happened in the past; hackers.

What is your view on the service and support levels - for critical websites?

Thanks
Atif

Andy
12-02-2009, 12:25
Hi

I am a new potential customer interested in the SuperPlan Bestof package. From where I am sitting a dedicated server with this sort of hardware and capacity is very cheap. How do OVH achieve a price of £59.99?

Is it because they regulate the cost of traffic and therefore are able to offer this price. Do many other hosting providers regulate cost of traffic in this way?
OVH don't regulate traffic, they simple offer different guarantees based on what your requirements are. OVH are able to offer great priced servers because they have special partnerships with the hardware manufacturers.

If you're entailing a single server, go for the Premium Bandwidth. That offers 100Mbps guaranteed for your server 24/7 with no restrictions, ever. If you're going to buy more than one, get back to me and I'll explain the differences.

atifdarr
12-02-2009, 04:00
Hi

I am a new potential customer interested in the SuperPlan Bestof package. From where I am sitting a dedicated server with this sort of hardware and capacity is very cheap. How do OVH achieve a price of £59.99?

Is it because they regulate the cost of traffic and therefore are able to offer this price. Do many other hosting providers regulate cost of traffic in this way?

Andy
29-01-2009, 12:16
95th percentile is calculated on ALL outgoing bandwidth at present (OVH haven't yet devised a way of determining transit/peering/internal bandwidth).

You have a limit, say 8Mbps. If your 'average' breaks that limit (in 24 hour period), your transit is reduced to 8Mbps but your peering remains 100Mbps. The top 5% of peaks in bandwidth are discarded so you don't instantly break your 8Mbps if you get a sudden few seconds spike above it.

MikeyMike
29-01-2009, 05:14
Goodness! You need a training manual to figure out the bandwidth options! And thanks for providing one, Andy

Now correct me if I am wrong:

So basically you should calculate the "limit" out over a certain period. For instance, if I were to use the most basic Kimsufi "L" at a sustained rate of 8 Mbps 24/7, that would mean I can transfer 2.49 Terabytes (not bits) per month -- about 86 Gigabytes of traffic a day -- without incurring any penalties (and that penalty is not being able to burst to 100 Mbps if I need to).

Given that there's 5% of permitted peaks, that's one heck of a deal. So is this right?

Now if it is, then I have one question: does the calculation (your 95th percentile) include the Peer->Peer transfers, or only Peer->Transit?

Firecooler
22-12-2008, 13:40
Found something out?

Firecooler
21-12-2008, 23:02
Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net
Firecooler a écrit:
>
> I have ordered four HG 2009 Servers with 1 GBit Business SLA Traffic,

server's name ?
Here:
ns60362.ovh.net
ns60363.ovh.net
ns60365.ovh.net
ns60366.ovh.net

oles@ovh.net
21-12-2008, 22:36
Firecooler a écrit:
>
> I have ordered four HG 2009 Servers with 1 GBit Business SLA Traffic,

server's name ?

Firecooler
21-12-2008, 13:32
I have ordered four HG 2009 Servers with 1 GBit Business SLA Traffic, but it seems i can only use up to 1 GBit Total on all Servers, not 4 Gbit!?

Why is that? Am I limited to 1 GBit total?

xrcode
19-12-2008, 03:37
Thank you IainK, ive been trying to stress the same thing, and we are having a horrible time trying to figure out what to do.

IainK
19-12-2008, 03:08
Oles,
xrcode raises a valid point. Since the current limit is per account, no more than 100Mbps for all servers, then surely it would make sense to allow customers to pay for 300Mbps allowance and have that shared across 3 servers for instance?
Not limited to 3x100Mbps links though, just let each server burst in to the 300Mbps as much as it needs to but hard capping them to an overall 300Mbps limit outbound from the router.

I realise this would require re-configuration of routers but it would definitely be something I'm sure every one would be happy to see.

And Oles, respect that you listened to every one and allow customers to pay for more bandwidth should they need it The service, I have no doubt, will be top notch!

xrcode
04-12-2008, 15:45
> I never said it was to expensive, our problem is that you cant adapt it
> to cover two or three servers, or offer us any burst.

you can't ask all options for 1.49E/Mbps.

> We have no problems with your prices, It is the way things are setup
> that wont work properly for us.
>
> We need 300mbps average usage, on three servers, each server needs to
> be burstable to 500-600mbps, our total usage is 300mbps average.

it's the same offer:
ovh 1Gbps garanteed for 890Euro/mo
and
XXX 100Mbps burstable to 1Gbps for 500Euro/mo

because "burst" is just here to catch you and
bill you the extra Mbps that you use. so
+ 200Mbps of burst = 1500Euro/mo
because you will use 300Mbps in 95%.

no catch with ovh. you know what you pay even if you don't use
all what you buy. it's important because you pay less.

But you told me, that if we buy 300mbps business sla it is NOT burstable.
Give us 300mbps average usage, burstable to 500mbps, run it to a private switch, let me distribute it?

Ill say it again, i dont have a problem with the prices. Its the implementation.
Oles i want to distribute the load we currently push across two or three servers.

You are trying to say i have to purchase 3x300mbps, to push the same ammount of data we are already pushing, but spread out across three servers instead of all on one? This might work for ovh but it doesnt work for us.

oles@ovh.net
04-12-2008, 01:50
xrcode a écrit:
>
> To have the three servers that we need, at ovh would cost us 349x3 +
> 169x3 + VAT = way too much money to only be using 300mbps average, dont
> you think?

as I said, if ovh is too much expensive for you, you have to find a
sponsor.

oles@ovh.net
04-12-2008, 01:48
> I never said it was to expensive, our problem is that you cant adapt it
> to cover two or three servers, or offer us any burst.

you can't ask all options for 1.49E/Mbps.

> We have no problems with your prices, It is the way things are setup
> that wont work properly for us.
>
> We need 300mbps average usage, on three servers, each server needs to
> be burstable to 500-600mbps, our total usage is 300mbps average.

it's the same offer:
ovh 1Gbps garanteed for 890Euro/mo
and

because "burst" is just here to catch you and
bill you the extra Mbps that you use. so
+ 200Mbps of burst = 1500Euro/mo
because you will use 300Mbps in 95%.

no catch with ovh. you know what you pay even if you don't use
all what you buy. it's important because you pay less.

xrcode
03-12-2008, 22:34
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
That sir is an excellent post.

I feel some customers want something for nothing, but unfortunately the world doesnt work that way.
I suggest you read my previous posts about us being willing to pay the bandwidth we use.

We have no issues with the price, its the unwillingness to adapt the same ammount across three servers, instead of forcing us to pile all of our clients onto the same server.

xrcode
03-12-2008, 22:22
To have the three servers that we need, at ovh would cost us 349x3 + 169x3 + VAT = way too much money to only be using 300mbps average, dont you think?

xrcode
03-12-2008, 22:10
xrcode a écrit:
>
> Quality along the lines of level3, they quoted me 7$/mbit for the same
> commit level as cogent, but of course in the united states.

I don't understand. you say that 300Mbps for 1.49E/Mbps is too
expensive for you and you are looking for the 7$/mbps bandwidth !?
I never said it was to expensive, our problem is that you cant adapt it to cover two or three servers, or offer us any burst.

We have no problems with your prices, It is the way things are setup that wont work properly for us.

We need 300mbps average usage, on three servers, each server needs to be burstable to 500-600mbps, our total usage is 300mbps average.

I think we are being confused for someone who does not want to pay the bandwidth, that is not the case.

I agree oles, 300mbps for 349 euros, very good price.

What do you propose for someone that wants to use 300mbps average, but needs to do it across three servers, and each server needs to be burstable to 500mbps.

Let us pay for what we use on an average usage basis at 1.49 euro?

Give us 300mbps per client?

Anything?

We are not paying for 3x300mbps to only use 300mbps total. Do you understand what I am saying now?

rickyday
03-12-2008, 21:44
The problem is that we propose the offers "free mind". no headake.
buy a server and do what you want with because your needs are very
lower what we propose. bug cpu with lot of ram with lot of disk
with lot if bandwidth.

And there is some people that "thinks" how can they exploit it just
for them. How can they buy paying 1 and selling 10. It's not fair.

We propose very cheap bandwidth. If it's too much expensive, well
you have a wrong business plan for your business and you have
change it. Or you have to ask someone to pay it for you. Ovh doesn't
want to pay to develop your business.
That sir is an excellent post.

I feel some customers want something for nothing, but unfortunately the world doesnt work that way.

oles@ovh.net
03-12-2008, 13:44
Andy a écrit:
>
> Danio;10978 Wrote:
>> We're forgetting here that not all OVH's bandwidth is transit, in fact
>> most of it is peering.

>
> That still doesn't make a difference to the cost of transit though...

The problem is that we propose the offers "free mind". no headake.
buy a server and do what you want with because your needs are very
lower what we propose. bug cpu with lot of ram with lot of disk
with lot if bandwidth.

And there is some people that "thinks" how can they exploit it just
for them. How can they buy paying 1 and selling 10. It's not fair.

We propose very cheap bandwidth. If it's too much expensive, well
you have a wrong business plan for your business and you have
change it. Or you have to ask someone to pay it for you. Ovh doesn't
want to pay to develop your business.

Andy
03-12-2008, 12:34
Quote Originally Posted by Danio
We're forgetting here that not all OVH's bandwidth is transit, in fact most of it is peering.
That still doesn't make a difference to the cost of transit though...

Danio
03-12-2008, 12:33
We're forgetting here that not all OVH's bandwidth is transit, in fact most of it is peering.

oles@ovh.net
03-12-2008, 11:58
xrcode a écrit:
>
> Quality along the lines of level3, they quoted me 7$/mbit for the same
> commit level as cogent, but of course in the united states.

I don't understand. you say that 300Mbps for 1.49E/Mbps is too
expensive for you and you are looking for the 7$/mbps bandwidth !?

oles@ovh.net
03-12-2008, 11:56
> I was quoted 25% more than this at work once when we were going to set
> up our own company datacenter. We wanted 100Mbps and £1250/month was the
> price. Oles told us its ?1000 per 100Mbps GUARANTEED on the transit.
> We're not talking cheap cogent bandwidth here (who to be fair really are
> awful, I've used them myself) we're talking expensive level3 transit.

the price depends of the destination and the volume. for example, nobody
can propose us the bandwidth to DTAG. level3 can't, teleglobe can't,
global crossing can't. because DTAG doesn't want to upgrade the peering
with noone. the solution ? to buy the bandwidth with DTAG ... we have
2x10G with DTAG (direct). it costs the ass's skin, but it's only way to
GARANTEE the bandwidth. we have the same problem with all ISP in Europe
since we have a big network with lot of bandwidth (because we propose
lot of bandwidth for our customers).

So, if you buy 1Gbps only you have a high price. When you buy 10Gbps
you have a better price. But you don't get a better price with 140Gbps.
you have to put the money in the network to garantee the bandwidth.
if you don't do it and you want to push 200Gbps on the network, your
quality will be poor. you can't buy so much bandwidth with so much
garantee as we propose. You have to build the network. and it costs
as much as the price for 10Gbps only.

oles@ovh.net
03-12-2008, 11:46
> Cogent quoted me 5$/mbit with 1000mbps burstable and a 100mbit commit.

right. 500Euro/100Mbps. it's nosla bandwidth. not garanteed. I think
you have no problem with our garanteed bandwidth. You aren't not
happy with noSLA bandwidth. Do you want to pay 500Euro / server for
100Mbps noSLA bandwidth ? or 20Euro is enought ?

xrcode
03-12-2008, 00:24
Quality along the lines of level3, they quoted me 7$/mbit for the same commit level as cogent, but of course in the united states.

Andy
03-12-2008, 00:22
Quote Originally Posted by xrcode
Are you familiar with hurricane electric?
No?

xrcode
03-12-2008, 00:21
Are you familiar with hurricane electric?

Andy
03-12-2008, 00:20
That must have included a fiber line to your workplace?
Installation cost of £1500 covered that...

xrcode
03-12-2008, 00:19
That must have included a fiber line to your workplace?

Andy
03-12-2008, 00:10
It doesn't cost 1000 eur for 100mbps of transit, not even close.
Cogent quoted me 5$/mbit with 1000mbps burstable and a 100mbit commit.
I know cogent sucks, but none-the less they are a tier 1 provider thus meaning transit.

that means about 300eur maybe for 100mbps, and thats an individual buying it, an isp would of course get a way better deal with a large commit level.
I was quoted 25% more than this at work once when we were going to set up our own company datacenter. We wanted 100Mbps and £1250/month was the price. Oles told us its €1000 per 100Mbps GUARANTEED on the transit. We're not talking cheap cogent bandwidth here (who to be fair really are awful, I've used them myself) we're talking expensive level3 transit.

Ask Oles yourself...

xrcode
02-12-2008, 23:44
Cost. UK users use more bandwidth than FR users, so OVH now have to charge for that bandwidth that was, before, covered by excess costs from the FR servers.

It costs €1000 per 100Mbps of transit bandwidth according to Oles in a past thread. So, 100Mbps un-metered for £19.99 (Kimsufi)? You're kidding, right?

95% of users use no-where near that amount, so it means those users pay for the 5% that do. However with the UK that ratio has dropped, so there are no longer enough people with excess to pay for the bandwidth UK customers use, and that means OVH now has to charge more for that bandwidth usage. Its as simple as that.
It doesn't cost 1000 eur for 100mbps of transit, not even close.
Cogent quoted me 5$/mbit with 1000mbps burstable and a 100mbit commit.
I know cogent sucks, but none-the less they are a tier 1 provider thus meaning transit.

that means about 300eur maybe for 100mbps, and thats an individual buying it, an isp would of course get a way better deal with a large commit level.

Andy
02-12-2008, 22:57
Quote Originally Posted by SpeedStar
exactly what is the reason for doing this?
Cost. UK users use more bandwidth than FR users, so OVH now have to charge for that bandwidth that was, before, covered by excess costs from the FR servers.

It costs €1000 per 100Mbps of transit bandwidth according to Oles in a past thread. So, 100Mbps un-metered for £19.99 (Kimsufi)? You're kidding, right?

95% of users use no-where near that amount, so it means those users pay for the 5% that do. However with the UK that ratio has dropped, so there are no longer enough people with excess to pay for the bandwidth UK customers use, and that means OVH now has to charge more for that bandwidth usage. Its as simple as that.

xrcode
02-12-2008, 22:40
i am sad now, my christmas loots gonna go to extra bw, that was supposed to be unmetered.

SpeedStar
02-12-2008, 22:37
it's official OVH, your just like any other company hosting servers, no great price:speed, expect to see a decline in customers, i have no idea what you guys are thinking , im just very disappointed that my favourite host is well, average....

exactly what is the reason for doing this?

xrcode
26-11-2008, 21:15
The policy has changed on us too, our once great server now lags. And we bought another thinking we could distrute the load, but nope. Its limited to 100mbps. We even plan on paying for the bandwidth that we use, business SLA. but we have no way to even do that, so we are stuck with a useless server, and a lagging server until we can get something sorted. But none the less, we still like ovh and just want our bandwidth fixed. 300mbps SLA business + unlimited peering per client, that would be perfect for us.

Dave
26-11-2008, 20:54
Dave a écrit:
>
> I've just looked in my control panel and found:
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
>
> Bandwidth / Traffic
> Network connection: 100Mbps
> Bandwidth type: Standard
> OVH/OVH B/W: 100 Mbps
> OVH/Internet B/W: 100 Mbps
> Internet/OVH B/W : 100 Mbps
> Traffic: unlimited
>
> --------------------
>
>
> do we think the "Bandwidth type: Standard" is the same as Kimsufi
> standard? although not sure this would make sense OVH.co.uk doing
> Kimsufi bandwidth scheme?

Yes.
Come on Oles I understand you've covered your backs in your terms and conditions so you don't have to tell current customers that you've changed the policies but it would be nice if you did tell us.

Not to mention your still selling RPS's without giving the new bandwidth limitation details out?

Don't take this as I'm upset, I'm fine as the changes don't affect me too much and are good for the company as a whole but it all seems a bit underhand in the way OVH have been doing things recently which has had me question my loyalty and trust for OVH as a company.

oles@ovh.net
26-11-2008, 17:50
Dave a écrit:
>
> I've just looked in my control panel and found:
>
>
> Code:
> --------------------
>
> Bandwidth / Traffic
> Network connection: 100Mbps
> Bandwidth type: Standard
> OVH/OVH B/W: 100 Mbps
> OVH/Internet B/W: 100 Mbps
> Internet/OVH B/W : 100 Mbps
> Traffic: unlimited
>
> --------------------
>
>
> do we think the "Bandwidth type: Standard" is the same as Kimsufi
> standard? although not sure this would make sense OVH.co.uk doing
> Kimsufi bandwidth scheme?

Yes.

xrcode
26-11-2008, 01:42
Yeah, I understand then plans perfectly, they make sense.... would be cool if we could buy business SLA but per client, some of us dont know wich machines will be moving the load.

Andy
26-11-2008, 01:40
Quote Originally Posted by Dave
I'm fine with the new bandwidth options/limits but was I the only one who wasn't notified at all? (neither by email nor post)
Nobody was told, its in the new contract, apparently, when you renew your server after the new limits were brought in.

Dave
26-11-2008, 01:38
I'm fine with the new bandwidth options/limits but was I the only one who wasn't notified at all? (neither by email nor post)

Andy
26-11-2008, 01:30
I'm guessing Standard means the same as Kimsufi then.

Dave
26-11-2008, 01:28
I've just looked in my control panel and found:

Code:
Bandwidth / Traffic 
Network connection:   	100Mbps
Bandwidth type:   	Standard
OVH/OVH B/W:   	100 Mbps
OVH/Internet B/W:   	100 Mbps
Internet/OVH B/W :   	100 Mbps
Traffic:   	unlimited
do we think the "Bandwidth type: Standard" is the same as Kimsufi standard? although not sure this would make sense OVH.co.uk doing Kimsufi bandwidth scheme?

I'm only doing ~5.8Mbps 95th at the moment so can't tell about the caps/limit yet.

Andy
26-11-2008, 01:21
Quote Originally Posted by Dave
Could someone (maybe Andy) explain how this affects RPS's? most importantly RPS1
No idea I'm afraid, Oles hasn't posted about it.

Dave
26-11-2008, 01:19
Could someone (maybe Andy) explain how this affects RPS's? most importantly RPS1

Andy
26-11-2008, 00:16
Quote Originally Posted by lacky
Ah, okay, that makes sense. Pretty good system then, a tad hard to understand at first, but I think I'll grow to like it.

Thanks
I think this will work on the same 95th percentile model, where the limit is 100Mbps. If you exceed it, the priority changes, and is calculated daily, etc. Wait for oles to confirm though

lacky
26-11-2008, 00:14
You are able to burst each server to 100Mbps, however if you go over it often, the system will put you into low priority mode.
Ah, okay, that makes sense. Pretty good system then, a tad hard to understand at first, but I think I'll grow to like it.

Thanks

Andy
25-11-2008, 23:14
Quote Originally Posted by lacky
With this 'infrastructure' system, if you have five servers, is each individual server able to burst up to full port speed (100mbps), or is each server limited to 20mbps?
You are able to burst each server to 100Mbps, however if you go over it often, the system will put you into low priority mode.

lacky
25-11-2008, 22:44
With this 'infrastructure' system, if you have five servers, is each individual server able to burst up to full port speed (100mbps), or is each server limited to 20mbps?

Andy
25-11-2008, 18:07
Updated the first post to reflect 'priority' changes.

Andy
25-11-2008, 17:48
Well my server can atain more than 8Mbps and I'm on low, so I was confused. I've just read the op more closely and now I understand. I'm capped on transit only. This seems extremely fair as ovh can offer 100Mbps (on peering) at a great price.
Thats right.

phillip
25-11-2008, 17:47
Well my server can atain more than 8Mbps and I'm on low, so I was confused. I've just read the op more closely and now I understand. I'm capped on transit only. This seems extremely fair as ovh can offer 100Mbps (on peering) at a great price.

Andy
25-11-2008, 17:34
What's the penalty for being in low? do you get capped or is the traffic going to the internet from your(if you're on low) server is at the lowest priority? So if your low you can still atain 100Mbps(it'll just be a harder)
Your bandwidth is reduced to your cap (e.g. 8/10/12/15Mbps, server dependent). I don't see how people find this hard to understand!

phillip
25-11-2008, 17:32
What's the penalty for being in low? do you get capped or is the traffic going to the internet from your(if you're on low) server is at the lowest priority? So if your low you can still atain 100Mbps(it'll just be a harder)

sonia89
25-11-2008, 14:02
*sighs* mayb i shud think about looking for a new server company that informs me by email when changes are being made. *sighs*

thx for the info u guys

oles@ovh.net
25-11-2008, 08:42
Andy a écrit:
>
> phillip;10591 Wrote:
>> How's priority calculated?

>
> High = Unmetered servers (never changes)
>
> Normal = Standard, burstable, premium and bandwidth series'
>
> Low = Standard, burstable and bandwidth series' *when their 95th
> percentile limit is reached*

correct

Expat
24-11-2008, 20:44
When your in low mode you may as well close the server because you will get 70kbs-100kbs
instead of the 1000kbs stated.Thats what im getting for the last two days now.

Andy
24-11-2008, 20:20
High = Unmetered servers (never changes)

Normal = Standard, burstable, premium and bandwidth series'

Low = Standard, burstable and bandwidth series' when their 95th percentile limit is reached

phillip
24-11-2008, 19:59

Andy
24-11-2008, 19:43
Andy a écrit:
>
> Oles, the premium series server was based on a single 100Mbps server
> So it is correct, apart from not stating that bandwidth remains at
> 100Mbps between all of your servers until you purchase 6 or more.

I agree with you: it's correct with 1 server. But I know that I
will read in 2-3 months the people saying "why I have low priority ?"
Then you will tell the person to learn how to read It does state it very clearly on the topic so nobody can complain! (At least not to me anyway)

oles@ovh.net
24-11-2008, 19:42
Andy a écrit:
>
> Oles, the premium series server was based on a single 100Mbps server
> So it is correct, apart from not stating that bandwidth remains at
> 100Mbps between all of your servers until you purchase 6 or more.

I agree with you: it's correct with 1 server. But I know that I
will read in 2-3 months the people saying "why I have low priority ?"

randomguy
24-11-2008, 19:09
we have a map of all network and we know which server works with an
another on our network. if it's the case, 2 or more servers are in
1 infrastructure (for example 3 gays buy 3 servers, and call them
ser1.blabla.com ser2.blabla.com and ser3.blabla.com, it's an
infrastructure for us and we know it). If your infrastructure has
more that 1 server, you have to respect Bandwidth / server.
Yeah with that setup the 3 gays would use lots of bandwidth that costs the ass's skin

Andy
24-11-2008, 17:11
Oles, the premium series server was based on a single 100Mbps server So it is correct, apart from not stating that bandwidth remains at 100Mbps between all of your servers until you purchase 6 or more.

oles@ovh.net
24-11-2008, 13:10
> *PREMIUM SERIES*
>
> 100Mbps OVH > Internet
> 100Mbps Internet > OVH
> 100Mbps OVH > OVH
> Unmetered Bandwidth
> Bandwidth is not guaranteed at PEAK times over TRANSIT

not correct.

you have 100Mbps/infrastructure or more (max 2Gbps/infrastructure)
http://www.ovh.co.uk/individual/item...ve_hosting.xml

we have a map of all network and we know which server works with an
another on our network. if it's the case, 2 or more servers are in
1 infrastructure (for example 3 gays buy 3 servers, and call them
ser1.blabla.com ser2.blabla.com and ser3.blabla.com, it's an
infrastructure for us and we know it). If your infrastructure has
more that 1 server, you have to respect Bandwidth / server.

> *TRAFFIC SERIES*
>
> 100Mbps OVH > Internet
> 100Mbps Internet > OVH
> 100Mbps OVH > OVH
> 5000GB of bandwidth by default
> Bandwidth always guaranteed while within your bandwidth limit
>
> Bandwidth dropped to 1Mbps if you exceed your bandwidth limit
> You can purchase more bandwidth to return to 100Mbps

correct.

> *BURSTABLE SERIES*
>
> 100Mbps OVH > Internet
> 100Mbps Internet > OVH
> 100Mbps OVH > OVH
> Unmetered Bandwidth
> 100Mbps burst allowance
> Bandwidth is not guaranteed at PEAK times over TRANSIT
>
> Bandwidth allowance is based on 95th percentile
> If the bandwidth average exceeds 15Mbps (minus the top 5% of "peaks"
> in bandwidth), speed will be dropped to 15Mbps with no burst allowance
> 95th percentile is calculated daily and adjusted accordingly

correct

> *UNMETERED SERIES*
>
> 100Mbps OVH > Internet
> 100Mbps Internet > OVH
> 100Mbps OVH > OVH
> Unmetered Bandwidth
> Always guaranteed even at PEAK times

correct.

STANDARD SERIES (kimsufi)
100Mbps OVH > Internet
100Mbps Internet > OVH
100Mbps OVH > OVH
Unmetered Bandwidth
Bandwidth allowance is based on 95th percentile
If the bandwidth average exceeds 15Mbps (minus the top 5% of "peaks"
in bandwidth), Bandwidth is not guaranteed over TRANSIT from 11am
to 1am AND Bandwidth is guaranteed over TRANSIT from 1an to 11am
AND Bandwidth is guaranteed over PEERING

phillip
24-11-2008, 00:35
Wait I think I've got it now. The 95th line(orange) is the number your monthly average(outgoing) must be under. The 95 is calculated every day so it can change. If you do get capped it will say so in your manager.

Andy
23-11-2008, 23:55
Quote Originally Posted by Tz-OVH
Ok, this would mean they would have to have some sort of a fixed time frame? I'm trying to put it down in numbers for the few of us who don't quite understand it all.

1st Nov to 30th Nov would have to be monitored, if on 10th Nov the user exceeds the 95% rule then he's capped until 30th Nov whereupon his speed is restored?
No. Speed is capped if your "Average Out" over the month exceeds the 95% percentile "speed limit", e.g. 8Mbps. Once your average drops below 8Mbps, your burst to 100Mbps will return, until you once again break the 8Mbps average out and it returns to being capped to 8Mbps. It is calculated on a daily basis, not monthly.

Tz-OVH
23-11-2008, 18:04
There is no SLA and noSLA anymore. When the monthly bandwidth average drops below 8Mbps, you get your 100Mbps back, if on a 95th percentile basis.
Ok, this would mean they would have to have some sort of a fixed time frame? I'm trying to put it down in numbers for the few of us who don't quite understand it all.

1st Nov to 30th Nov would have to be monitored, if on 10th Nov the user exceeds the 95% rule then he's capped until 30th Nov whereupon his speed is restored?

phillip
23-11-2008, 17:26
Can anyone explian the %95 rule? Is that %95 of 100mbps or in the top 95 useer(outbound). Also what's the %95 percentile(is that in the top %5 users).

xrcode
23-11-2008, 17:08
If there was a noSLA I would be in trouble i think.

freshwire
23-11-2008, 15:30
Looks correct based on the website to me.

rickyday
23-11-2008, 14:32
Has anyone from OVH commented on the accuracy of this thread at all?

Im sure it is correct Andy, but verification from Oles would be nice.

Andy
23-11-2008, 11:08
Quote Originally Posted by Tz-OVH
Nice post, thanks.

Say for November 23rd I cross this usage, I get dropped to noSLA right? So when does the noSLA go back to Standard SLA, at the end of the day, month, lease period, or when OVH feel it ok to do so?
There is no SLA and noSLA anymore. When the monthly bandwidth average drops below 8Mbps, you get your 100Mbps back, if on a 95th percentile basis.

Tz-OVH
23-11-2008, 08:11
Nice post, thanks.

KIMSUFI.CO.UK - KIMSUFI Servers

STANDARD SERIES (Based on Kimsufi 'L') > 100Mbps per CLIENT basis

95th percentile is calculated daily and adjusted accordingly
Say for November 23rd I cross this usage, I get dropped to noSLA right? So when does the noSLA go back to Standard SLA, at the end of the day, month, lease period, or when OVH feel it ok to do so?

xrcode
23-11-2008, 04:07
My loads are really bursty, and i want to split it up across a bunch of servers. the problem is any one of them could all of a sudden need 400mbps+
My partner and I have discussed things, and decided that we can handle paying the price of business SLA for the bandwidth we use. We currently have an HG Mini thats doing all the work. It doesnt have any bandwidth upgrade's but the quality went down a little a while back, all our other servers are limited to 100mbps and as soon as they hit 100mbps its lag city.

here is a bandwidth graph on our hg mini, it will give you an idea what we use.
We really want to split this load up across multiple servers, but we will always have one bursting high.

http://91.121.188.141/mrtg/

And i agree, oles seems pretty cool ive been reading lots on here.

I think what im trying to say is, all new servers we get are stuck to 100mbit and im glad that our hg mini miraculously isnt. We want to be able to have our 100mbps per client, buy 300mbps SLA bandwidth, and keep our total average under 400mbps until we buy more bandwidth, but none of our servers can be limited or it wont work properly.

gaurenteed 400mbps transit per client, and unlimited peering maybe with purchase of 300mbps business sla? and then we can add bandwidth as we need, but per client.

Andy
23-11-2008, 04:02
Now i just need to convince oles into letting me pay for business sla, and using that much bw average, because i need 400mbit/s on all my machines really but the machine pushing the data varies. My partner and I plan on buying business SLA bandwidth as soon as we can figure out how we are gonna work it. We can't pay the 300mbps SLA on all servers, we use 300-500mbps period. We dont need 300mbpsx4 unmetered really.

Right now i have one machine that works properly for us out of 4,
Oles is very good at coming up with plans specifically for your needs. He does after all ask that you contact him if you have a custom project that OVH's normal offers don't cover.

If you need 400Mbps between, lets say, 5 servers, I'm sure he could allow that. Give you 1Gbps ports on each and guarantee that 400Mbps between them. I'm pretty sure you will work something out. Oles is a very very fair man

xrcode
23-11-2008, 03:59
Now i just need to convince oles into letting me pay for business sla, and using that much bw average, because i need 400mbit/s on all my machines really but the machine pushing the data varies. My partner and I plan on buying business SLA bandwidth as soon as we can figure out how we are gonna work it. We can't pay the 300mbps SLA on all servers, we use 300-500mbps period. We dont need 300mbpsx4 unmetered really.

Right now i have one machine that works properly for us out of 4,

Andy
23-11-2008, 03:55
Thumbs up on the work andy, you seem to be helping lots of people on here
Just doing my jo... wait, it isn't my job, wtf! Ah well, glad I could help

xrcode
23-11-2008, 03:52
Thumbs up on the work andy, you seem to be helping lots of people on here

Andy
23-11-2008, 03:26
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
I think this post is very useful.

It could be better if you explained the difference between the "premium" for pro servers and the "standard" for kimsufi servers.

Now I wish I didn't spend 20 minutes figuring out the ovh website last night
Updated.

JALZOO
23-11-2008, 02:34
Yeah very good post, I had a complete headache trying to figure out what was what but this sums it up in one.

freshwire
22-11-2008, 21:13
I think this post is very useful.

It could be better if you explained the difference between the "premium" for pro servers and the "standard" for kimsufi servers.

Now I wish I didn't spend 20 minutes figuring out the ovh website last night

wackomoo
22-11-2008, 20:13
Yes, once per month.

Dave
22-11-2008, 19:41
Is it possible to change between traffic plans after server setup?

wackomoo
22-11-2008, 15:13
Peering points shown here:
http://www.ovh.com/fr/particulier/it...ent_massif.xml

pete_w
22-11-2008, 15:10
It means that the speed you get is not guarenteed over any network routes that use Transit instead of Peering during that time.

Peering is via routes belonging to network providers Ovh have peering agreements with (e.g. Linx in London), i.e. They don't charge each other to exchange data along their networks. Ovh can offer this without restriction because its essentially free (not taking into account maintainance costs etc.)

Transit is all other network routes in which Ovh do not have a peering agreement and have to pay to send and receive data along, so is more expensive hence needs to be restricted to make sure they aren't losing money on what you are paying to access it !

Paranoid
22-11-2008, 14:36
What does Bandwidth is not guaranteed at PEAK times over TRANSIT actually mean for the customer ?

Dave
22-11-2008, 13:32
Please sticky this thread, It was very useful for me and will no doubt help others

Andy
22-11-2008, 13:29
Purchases Before August 2009

If you purchased after this date, please view this topic:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2725

OVH's new bandwidth regime explained

This explanation is based on a 100Mbps port speed server. The reason there are such different schemes now is based on guaranteed and non-guaranteed bandwidth, and which of these the customer requires for their "project".

Definitions:
Transit: Links which OVH pay for the bandwidth to pass over and billed on how much they use.
Peering: Links which OVH have a contract in to allow bandwidth to pass freely between both OVH and the provider, with no extra costs on bandwidth passing through it.
Client Basis: You as a client, are allocated this bandwidth to your entire "infrastructure" at OVH, this includes all of your servers. If you buy a "Client Basis" server you use up this allocated bandwidth. See the bandwidth tables for each server type for more information.
Server Basis: You as a client, don't use any of your "infrastructure" bandwidth when purchasing a server on a "Server Basis".
Peak Times: Defined as 11am that day until 1am the following morning every day.

OVH.CO.UK - PRO Servers

[UPDATE: 24th April 2009]
NOTE: It is now possible to have 200Mbps to the Internet on servers that have a 1Gbps NIC. Servers with a 100Mbps NIC can only get 100Mbps to the Internet, but this means you can have TWO 100Mbps NIC servers and get 100Mbps guaranteed to the Internet on them both. If you get two 1Gbps NIC servers, 200Mbps to the Internet is shared between them both. The same applies for more than two 100Mbps NIC servers or more than a single 1Gbps NIC server. See the table below...

PRO Servers
Bandwidth Table - This table shows the bandwidth you can send/receive on your infrastructure (infrastructure being all of the servers you rent) and the bandwidth you can send/receive per server.

No of Servers ... Infrastructure Bandwidth ... Guaranteed Server Bandwidth
1 ........................... 200Mbps ................... 100Mbps on 100Mbps NIC, 200Mbps on 1Gbps NIC
2 ........................... 200Mbps ................... 100Mbps on 100Mbps NIC, 100Mbps on 1Gbps NIC
3 ........................... 200Mbps ................... 66Mbps
4 ........................... 200Mbps ................... 50Mbps
5 ........................... 200Mbps ................... 40Mbps
6 ........................... 200Mbps ................... 33Mbps
7 ........................... 200Mbps ................... 28Mbps
8 ........................... 200Mbps ................... 25Mbps
9 ........................... 225Mbps ................... 25Mbps
10........................... 250Mbps ................... 25Mbps
---
15........................... 375Mbps ................... 25Mbps
---
20........................... 500Mbps ................... 25Mbps
---
50........................... 1250Mbps ................. 25Mbps
---
100.......................... 2500Mbps ................. 25Mbps

* = NIC speed and/or number of servers rented dependant.

PREMIUM SERIES > 200Mbps per CLIENT basis

For people with just 1 or 2 servers who need guaranteed 100Mbps-200Mbps* bandwidth and don't want to pay for the traffic.

100Mbps-200Mbps* OVH > Internet (Peering)
100Mbps-200Mbps* OVH > Internet (Transit)
100Mbps-200Mbps* Internet > OVH
100Mbps-200Mbps* OVH > OVH
Unmetered Bandwidth
Bandwidth always guaranteed over TRANSIT and PEERING at 100Mbps-200Mbps*
Bandwidth priority: Normal

TRAFFIC SERIES > 100Mbps per SERVER basis

For people with more than 2 servers who need guaranteed 100Mbps availability bandwidth but don't mind paying for the traffic.

100Mbps OVH > Internet (Peering)
100Mbps OVH > Internet (Transit)
100Mbps Internet > OVH
100Mbps OVH > OVH
10,000GB of bandwidth by default
Bandwidth always guaranteed over TRANSIT and PEERING while within your bandwidth limit

If you exceed your bandwidth limit:
…OVH > Internet (Peering) speed dropped to 1Mbps.
…OVH > Internet (Transit) speed dropped to 1Mbps.
Bandwidth priority: Low

You can purchase more bandwidth to return to 100Mbps-200Mbps*

BURSTABLE SERIES > 100Mbps per SERVER basis

For people with more than 2 servers who need 100Mbps burstable bandwidth but who don't use more than 15Mbps^ average per server overall.

100Mbps Internet > OVH
100Mbps OVH > OVH
Unmetered Bandwidth
100Mbps burst allowance
Bandwidth always guaranteed over TRANSIT and PEERING

If the bandwidth average exceeds 15Mbps^ (minus the top 5% of "peaks" in bandwidth):
…OVH > Internet (Peering) speed will be dropped to 15Mbps^ with no burst allowance.
…OVH > Internet (Transit) speed will be dropped to 15Mbps^ with no burst allowance.
(^15Mbps is an example, the actual limit depends on your server)

UNMETERED SERIES > 100Mbps-1Gbps per SERVER basis

For people who need their bandwidth 100% guaranteed and high priority as their application is mission critical.

100Mbps-1Gbps OVH > Internet (Peering)
100Mbps-1Gbps OVH > Internet (Transit)
100Mbps-1Gbps Internet > OVH
100Mbps-1Gbps OVH > OVH
Unmetered Bandwidth
Bandwidth priority: High

KIMSUFI.CO.UK - KIMSUFI Servers

[UPDATE: 24th April 2009]
NOTE: Kimsufi servers now have 100Mbps guaranteed to the Internet on the Standard Bandwidth series for a single server.

Kimsufi Servers
Bandwidth Table - This table shows the bandwidth you can send/receive on your infrastructure (infrastructure being all of the servers you rent) and the bandwidth you can send/receive per server.

No of Servers ... Infrastructure Bandwidth ... Guaranteed Server Bandwidth
1 ........................... 100Mbps ................... 100Mbps
2 ........................... 100Mbps ................... 50Mbps
3 ........................... 100Mbps ................... 33Mbps
4 ........................... 100Mbps ................... 25Mbps
5 ........................... 100Mbps ................... 20Mbps
6 ........................... 100Mbps ................... 16Mbps
7 ........................... 100Mbps ................... 14Mbps
8 ........................... 100Mbps ................... 12Mbps
9 ........................... 100Mbps ................... 11Mbps
10........................... 100Mbps ................... 10Mbps
11........................... 110Mbps ................... 10Mbps
12........................... 120Mbps ................... 10Mbps
---
15........................... 150Mbps ................... 10Mbps
---
20........................... 200Mbps ................... 10Mbps
---
50........................... 500Mbps ................... 10Mbps
---
100.......................... 1000Mbps ................. 10Mbps

* = Number of servers rented dependant.

STANDARD SERIES (Based on Kimsufi 'L') > 100Mbps per CLIENT basis

For people who have just 1 server and need 100Mbps guaranteed and don't want to pay for the traffic.

100Mbps* OVH > Internet (Peering)
100Mbps* OVH > Internet (Transit)
100Mbps* Internet > OVH
100Mbps* OVH > OVH
Unmetered Bandwidth
Bandwidth always guaranteed over TRANSIT and PEERING at 100Mbps*

TRAFFIC SERIES (Based on Kimsufi 'L') > 100Mbps per SERVER basis

For people with more than 1 server who need guaranteed 100Mbps availability bandwidth but don't mind paying for the traffic.

100Mbps Internet > OVH
100Mbps OVH > OVH
2000GB of bandwidth by default (depending on the server)
Bandwidth always guaranteed over TRANSIT and PEERING while within your bandwidth limit

If you exceed your bandwidth limit:
…OVH > Internet (Peering) speed will be dropped to 1Mbps
…OVH > Internet (Transit) speed will be dropped to 1Mbps

You can purchase more bandwidth to return to 100Mbps

BURSTABLE SERIES (Based on Kimsufi 'L') > 100Mbps per SERVER basis

For people with more than 2 servers who need 100Mbps burstable bandwidth but who don't use more than 8Mbps^ average per server overall.

100Mbps* OVH > Internet (Peering)
100Mbps* OVH > Internet (Transit)
100Mbps* Internet > OVH
100Mbps* OVH > OVH
Unmetered Bandwidth

If the bandwidth average exceeds 8Mbps^ (minus the top 5% of "peaks" in bandwidth):
…OVH > Internet (Peering) speed will be dropped to 8Mbps^.
…OVH > Internet (Transit) speed will be dropped to 8Mbps^.
(^8Mbps is an example, the actual limit depends on your server)

UNMETERED SERIES

This series is not available on Kimsufi.co.uk.