OVH Community, your new community space.

Can i host a TV Shows website at one of OVH's dedicated server ?

Dave
29-11-2008, 15:15
Quote Originally Posted by takagari
no providing links to a torrent file is perfectly legal. just google the pirate bays record to figure that one out

but hosting is a no no
Piratebay attempts to claim no legal copyright law in their country (Sweden) but that doesn't apply in France, in fact it probably won't apply in Sweden soon.

If the torrent points to material that is infringing on copyright, then the answer is probably yes. Of course, it depends on the country you are in, so you would have to check with local French laws. In Sweden, for example, it is legal (thus thepiratebay stays running). However, tvlinks.co.uk was shut down for linking to (not hosting) copyrighted material.

If you do, you might get away with it for a a day, week or year but OVH shutting your server down might be the least of your worries, you might need a new suit for court if the aggrieved parties decide to sue you for aiding in the sharing of their material.

raidensnake
29-11-2008, 09:14
in any legal case you can get contacted for providing external links but... as long as you state that you aren't held responsible for any external links in your site you only be requested to remove them at the worst. also reguarding playing stuff or streaming it there's various laws about that. take youtube for example. but in most cases certain footage can be shown under "fair use" laws as long as there's notice of the copyright... and it can't be a full show. only clips mainly for set period of time. like a showreel for example.

takagari
29-11-2008, 02:16
no providing links to a torrent file is perfectly legal. just google the pirate bays record to figure that one out

but hosting is a no no

Dave
28-11-2008, 16:16
Quote Originally Posted by spoonzzzzz
You can provide links to download, as providing links is a service, not a business. Just make sure you are not profiting from this.

Hosting the files on your server is a big no no.

Forums regarding discussion are perfect.
Providing links to copyrighted files isn't allowed either I don't think, you could provide links to an affiliate legal site for downloads.

For example link to itunes store so that your users could download the tv show at a cost of which you'll make a percentage back and that would be perfectly legal.

spoonzzzzz
27-11-2008, 05:39
You can provide links to download, as providing links is a service, not a business. Just make sure you are not profiting from this.

Hosting the files on your server is a big no no.

Forums regarding discussion are perfect.

Dave
26-11-2008, 19:48
Maybe I miss interpreted his question but I read it as if he wanted to setup a site dedicated to TV shows, like a fan site (forums, message boards, polls, news etc.)?

If he indeed meant he wanted to provide streaming content or downloadable content (i.e. the tv shows) then it should be quite obvious this would be a no no without permission of the relevant people.

Andy
26-11-2008, 19:29
Quote Originally Posted by metalspfc
No movies at all, only TV Shows like Heroes, Prison Break, Lost, etc..

Is it allowed ?
You could get away with it for personal use only. But as an open area for people to download, its a big no no.

JALZOO
26-11-2008, 15:11
Cant believe someone would ask this...

Thats the whole reason for Copyright.. Television Channels spend millions to broadcast these programmes on there channels.

I would reccomend you read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copyrights

Nettus
26-11-2008, 14:28
Not without the legal licenses, and studios permission,

metalspfc
26-11-2008, 14:09
No movies at all, only TV Shows like Heroes, Prison Break, Lost, etc..

Is it allowed ?