OVH Community, your new community space.

RPS Feedback of the week

phillip
03-04-2008, 22:49
Since when was the SAN limited to 60Mbps, I've just wgetted from my Kimsufi @ 11.04MB/s, and from the RPS to the Kimsufi @ 11.22MB/s.

oles@ovh.net
03-04-2008, 12:32
Scott Curtis a écrit:
>
> My RPS speed is still not improving and I have not used it since the

I have no any single problem on the speed for noone. If you have
a speed problem you are the first customers for the months with
this kinf of problem. So I need the technical informations:
- your dedicated server's ip
- traceroute from you to you dedicated server
- traceroute from your dedicated server to you
And I will check it.

Scott Curtis
02-04-2008, 12:35
My RPS speed is still not improving and I have not used it since the speeds were capped, will it ever get back up to the original speeds seen or is it done for the month? Since it has been dropped to the paltry speeds I have not had any use reason to use it. If it does come back up to speed what is it that I need to watch to ensure that the speeds remain good?

creative
31-03-2008, 22:30
Lately I have had more TimeOuts and problems.
I will also reinstall some more OS's and give more feedback.

Andy
31-03-2008, 19:09
Quote Originally Posted by Scott Curtis
So if I understand your explanation correctly the giga server he ordered only comes with one hard drive not the 2x 250GB as it says in the order? How can you update the driver then? Here is the server that he ordered and the way I read it, there are supposed to be 2x 250gb hd installed. It still doesn't account for the crappy speeds. What really kills me is that customers are answering these post and not OVH customer service in order to clear up the confusion.

http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/eg.xml
There are 2x250GB drives in RAID1 so you only see one drive. It provides redundancy in case one drive fails.

Like I said in my last post, the speeds cannot be checked with speed tests. The only real test is to put it into real life traffic situations. To update the driver on windows simply use windows update. On Linux I don't know, since I've never used it.

Bruno
31-03-2008, 16:41
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
You wouldn't be able to if the SAN was limiting your speed to 60Mbps though would you
No, I didn't say that.

Scott Curtis
31-03-2008, 16:21
About the missing hard disk, I can bet the drive is in RAID, which is why it appears as one. This is normal, and is not an error. This is also explained when you buy the server.

Make sure the NIC (Ethernet) drivers are up to date. If they are not up to date, you can't expect the best performance from it. OVH have a set of base drivers. It would be too time consuming to keep these drivers up to date all the time, so they use a set that work and expect the user to update if needed. Remember these are unmanaged servers.

Speed tests do NOT give an indication of speed. It would be virtually impossible to get 1Gbps up and down from a single source. Take this into consideration when quoting speeds. Check the connection speed of the NIC. If it says 1Gbps, you have a connection of 1Gbps. If it says 100Mbps, you have a connection of 100Mbps and therefore have the right to complain.

SAN = Storage Area Network; Its the system used for the RPS (Real Private Servers) setup.
QoS = Quality of Service; This limits speed if needed. EG bandwidth abuse/over-use.
So if I understand your explanation correctly the giga server he ordered only comes with one hard drive not the 2x 250GB as it says in the order? How can you update the driver then? Here is the server that he ordered and the way I read it, there are supposed to be 2x 250gb hd installed. It still doesn't account for the crappy speeds. What really kills me is that customers are answering these post and not OVH customer service in order to clear up the confusion.

http://www.ovh.co.uk/products/eg.xml

Andy
31-03-2008, 16:03
Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
You can. 100Mbps on the net, it's possible and authorized.
You wouldn't be able to if the SAN was limiting your speed to 60Mbps though would you. Think about it. If you have a maximum possible speed of 60Mbps from the hard disk (the SAN in this case) then how are you going to be able to push more bandwidth than 60Mbps when 99% of the data comes direct from the hard disk unless its being parsed in some way by the system?

Andy
31-03-2008, 15:58
Well apparently they can't get the dedicated server's right either, my buddy just got his giga server the other day it is missing a hdd and is not on a 1gbit line as it is supposed to be either. He cannot upload and download at the same time or even with the expected speed at all, it is like being on a home connection and they have not answered his emails yet about it what a joke! How can you sell a giga server with a hdd missing and then put it on the wrong line as well, lol! His speed test show it as just above or around 1000kb/s for both up and down, and he can't do both at the same time! Would you pay over $200 Canadian for that?

And I never did get an explanation on what the QoS is and now evidently a "SAN" those are just acronyms to me what do they mean?
About the missing hard disk, I can bet the drive is in RAID, which is why it appears as one. This is normal, and is not an error. This is also explained when you buy the server.

Make sure the NIC (Ethernet) drivers are up to date. If they are not up to date, you can't expect the best performance from it. OVH have a set of base drivers. It would be too time consuming to keep these drivers up to date all the time, so they use a set that work and expect the user to update if needed. Remember these are unmanaged servers.

Speed tests do NOT give an indication of speed. It would be virtually impossible to get 1Gbps up and down from a single source. Take this into consideration when quoting speeds. Check the connection speed of the NIC. If it says 1Gbps, you have a connection of 1Gbps. If it says 100Mbps, you have a connection of 100Mbps and therefore have the right to complain.

SAN = Storage Area Network; Its the system used for the RPS (Real Private Servers) setup.
QoS = Quality of Service; This limits speed if needed. EG bandwidth abuse/over-use.

Scott Curtis
31-03-2008, 15:16
Well apparently they can't get the dedicated server's right either, my buddy just got his giga server the other day it is missing a hdd and is not on a 1gbit line as it is supposed to be either. He cannot upload and download at the same time or even with the expected speed at all, it is like being on a home connection and they have not answered his emails yet about it what a joke! How can you sell a giga server with a hdd missing and then put it on the wrong line as well, lol! His speed test show it as just above or around 1000kb/s for both up and down, and he can't do both at the same time! Would you pay over $200 Canadian for that?

And I never did get an explanation on what the QoS is and now evidently a "SAN" those are just acronyms to me what do they mean?

nthn.crawford
31-03-2008, 14:36
Since my last huge downtime about 1 week ago, the rps has been up and running most of the time. It is true i did not pushed it to the limit as before but at least speeds are decent and apparently there are no problems. This is just to let u guys know everything is runing fine for me, i hope it stays that way.

Bruno
31-03-2008, 13:49
It shouldn't be given a 100Mbps connection if it can't use it.
You can. 100Mbps on the net, it's possible and authorized.

Andy
31-03-2008, 13:28
Quote Originally Posted by Bruno
You can't buy a RPS and make 60Mbps constant RPS-->SAN.. You have to buy a dedicated for this kind of extreme use.
It shouldn't be given a 100Mbps connection if it can't use it. End of. You can't argue it. It would be classed as false advertising in those who want to argue it.

Bruno
31-03-2008, 13:22
If the SAN can't cope with the data people are putting through it, its not ready for release if you ask me. QoS is never the answer. If you can't supply the bandwidth, don't offer it.
You can't buy a RPS and make 60Mbps constant RPS-->SAN.. You have to buy a dedicated for this kind of extreme use.

Andy
31-03-2008, 09:53
If the SAN can't cope with the data people are putting through it, its not ready for release if you ask me. QoS is never the answer. If you can't supply the bandwidth, don't offer it.

Just my 2p.

Scott Curtis
31-03-2008, 06:57
Can I please get a translation of what that QoS statement means, and if I can expect the speed to increase at any time in the near future?

Bruno
30-03-2008, 17:56
r11042.ovh.net
rps1042.ovh.net (91.121.196.62) ?

If yes, it's normal : your RPS uses too much bandwith to the SAN (many ops/sec on the SAN) so it gets a special QoS.

The 14 :

Quote Originally Posted by oles
sur 196-199 les reglages
sont les mêmes sauf pour 14 RPS où je teste si on ajoutant un QoS on arrive
à reduire le nombre d'opération/seconde sur le SAN parce qu'un client arrive
à prendre trop de resources. quand je regarde les MRTG de ces RPS, ils tournent
à 30-60Mbps. donc une utilisation très intense.

Scott Curtis
30-03-2008, 16:23
Not mine, I attempted to run the speed test but grew old and tired waiting for it to finish, it was all the way up to a screaming 23kb/s download speed and not finished after about 1 1/2 minutes into the test when I said to hell with it. My "server" and I use that term lightly in this case is: r11042.ovh.net I truly hope that there is something wrong and this is not indicative of the service and the server quality.

seanmheff
29-03-2008, 17:14
mine seems to have improved somewhat but i am not gettin the speeds i was a few days ago.

krogothzero
29-03-2008, 16:30
Quote Originally Posted by seanmheff
mine are also capped at the moment :/
Seems ok here:
r10888 ~ # wget ftp://ftp.debian.nl/pub/test/50mb.bin
--17:30:26-- ftp://ftp.debian.nl/pub/test/50mb.bin
Length: 52,428,800 (50M) (unauthoritative)
100%[================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ===========================================>] 52,428,800 4.19M/s ETA 00:00
17:30:34 (5.94 MB/s) - `50mb.bin' saved [52428800]
r10888 ~ # wget ftp://ftp.xs4all.nl/pub/test/50mb.bin
Length: 52,428,800 (50M) (unauthoritative)
100%[================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ===========================================>] 52,428,800 3.41M/s ETA 00:00
17:30:59 (3.67 MB/s) - `50mb.bin.1' saved [52428800]
r10888 ~ # wget www.serverboost.nl/snelheid/50mb.bin
Length: 52,428,800 (50M) [application/octet-stream]
100%[================================================== ================================================== ================================================== ===========================================>] 52,428,800 6.62M/s ETA 00:00
17:31:32 (7.36 MB/s) - `50mb.bin.2' saved [52428800/52428800]
r10888 ~ # date
Sat Mar 29 17:32:32 CET 2008

I did need to reboot the server before I could use it again however as it managed to hang again and it took a good 4 minutes to boot o.O. I know its not a software issue as I have the exact same setup on my kimisufi server.

Bruno
29-03-2008, 14:36
IPs/servers names ?

Scott Curtis
29-03-2008, 13:48
Yeah it appears mine is capped as well. Looks like I won't be ordering this service! It was great the first few days, good speeds and everything, I didn't even have the crashing issues that others did. Now I can download faster on my home connection, it will not go above 100kb/s down and barely above that up. So is it like this for he rest of the month? Is that what that SLA is all about? What good is a server that lets you only do about 200gb of transfer and then caps you at these miserable speeds? I am soooooo glad I didn't have to pay for a month of this to only get any good use out of it for not even a week. Yuck!

seanmheff
29-03-2008, 13:26
mine are also capped at the moment :/

eejit
29-03-2008, 11:32
yes downloads are capped at 100kB/s for me too :/

Kuberr
29-03-2008, 00:39
My RPS has been alright. It's crashed a few times here and there, but the response has always been very quick.

I do have one concern though. Whenever I try and download something, it is capped at 100 kB/s. Is there a reason why this is happening?

creative
28-03-2008, 23:42
I don't know yet if it's a bug, but the files I download from other remote pc's aren't there, at least visible,.
As nobody had the same problem, I thing I made something wrong, I will check it in a few days and then I will givve my feedback.

More I can say, it is been runing for a week and no timeouts.

seanmheff
27-03-2008, 19:40
Alrite thanks for clearing that up Bruno!

Bruno
27-03-2008, 18:16
So with SLA someone can download 32MB of data off your server at 100mb/s and then the connection is limited to 10mb/s?
Yes !

seanmheff
27-03-2008, 18:14
So with SLA someone can download 32MB of data off your server at 100mb/s and then the connection is limited to 10mb/s?

EDIT: sorry for going a bit off topic!

creative
27-03-2008, 15:01
I wrote in the other thread xD

Quote Originally Posted by creative
I am greatfull to be tester, so here is my feedback until now:

First, nichandle was fast, but setting details weren't, I think there was a french thread talking about that, so if wasn't it, everything would be faster as well, because I received them when the problem were solved.

Than I tried some things, and I reinstall OS, but a different one, it was from Gentoo to Debian 4.0.
It was very fast (30/40 min) and new email was instantanly. Very impressive.

Speeds I couldn't as I wish, so I will od it later and give my feedback.
Anyway, I remeber Download reached at least 7Mb/s and Upload 2 Mb/s but it was a small test, I also will check this later.

So until nnow, everything is working properly.

Again, thanks.

I saw this, wo what else I can tell you :

-I didn't have any issue.The problems ?
-It works properly
-No timeouts, at least I hacen't found any
-It isn't slow. Certanly it could be faster, but i would say its slow.
-No crshes
-Its my first time testing, but I already had another server. I wouldn't say its worse. Actuly, the only thing I think should be increased for now is hd space.

Bruno
27-03-2008, 14:13
Im using my box for torrenting linux distros but my upload seems kinda slow. I was wondering what sort of speeds you other guys were getting??? I dont have a problem with downloading stuff, i can get speeds of up to around 10 Mbps.
Normal. It's SLA : http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56

seanmheff
27-03-2008, 13:57
Im using my box for torrenting linux distros but my upload seems kinda slow. I was wondering what sort of speeds you other guys were getting??? I dont have a problem with downloading stuff, i can get speeds of up to around 10 Mbps.

cHeGa
27-03-2008, 11:56
everything was working fine untill the same error as everyone else was having.My server is r10932.ovh.net.

Parsifal
26-03-2008, 13:54
I´ve noted an improvement since yesterday.

I´m using it for torrents and upload speeds are getting better, download speeds are excellent. That´s the only use I´m giving to it.
I´ve not received the ERROR [F] message again, and in an overall view I could say it´s running in a decent way, but I think this RPS should never be used as seedbox. The disk is the big problem, in my humble opinion.

This weekend I´ll make a really torture test, then I´ll say what I see.

Thanks for everything.

phillip
26-03-2008, 11:20
WGETing(~8MB/s) from my Kimsufi to the RPS caused the server-load to be >1, the server-load on the Kimsufi being 0.1. Typing in commands was slow too(w for example). I haven't dared to do any compiling yet.

oles@ovh.net
26-03-2008, 11:12
Andy a écrit:
>
> Although I haven't had much time to play around with my RPS (been very
> busy ever since I got the free trial, typically...) I did notice that it
> was very very slow to respond on webmin. Page load times were often
> around 20 seconds from when I first clicked a link.

you have to test it today.

Andy
26-03-2008, 09:18
Although I haven't had much time to play around with my RPS (been very busy ever since I got the free trial, typically...) I did notice that it was very very slow to respond on webmin. Page load times were often around 20 seconds from when I first clicked a link.

I was also disappointed that Windows was not available as an operating system option, but I'm sure it will be in the future?

Because I'm not a Linux guy I couldn't figure out how to do much, but even the most simple tasks like setting up an FTP account was none existent which I found very discouraging.

oles@ovh.net
26-03-2008, 07:44
Hi There,
What is you feedback about the RPS ? Have you any issue ? The problems ?
Does it work ? Doyou have any timeouts ? Is it slow ? Do you have any
crash ? The RPS is the worst solution that you have ever tested ?

Thansk for your feedbacks

We have an issue with 1 kind of using of the RPS that we think to
fix soon. Yesterday, we fixed lot of littel problems, but all isn't
finished. It has to be perfect. It's not yet. Thanks to help us.

Regards,
Octave