OVH Community, your new community space.

Renewing old contract - new price ? new policy ?

Andy
08-12-2008, 23:50
Quote Originally Posted by tomtom6
so average bandwidth includes transit(extra cost for ovh) and peering(no extra cost for ovh), doesnt it ?
when you say ' 8Mbps(USA and outside EU bandwidth) ', how about the traffic generated within EU but not between ovh peers ? is it still considered as peering or transit ?
thanks for the clearifications and sorry for so many questions.
cheers
It is based on the outgoing bandwidth from your server whether transit or peering. The graphs don't distinguish between either so it is impossible to limit via just one.

Transit = Paid for bandwidth (Generally outside EU)
Peering = Non paid for bandwidth (Generally EU)

wackomoo
08-12-2008, 23:24
Includes both, yes.

Peering is anything that goes through the "list of destination points" here:
http://www.ovh.co.uk/individual/item...ve_hosting.xml
"within EU" is simply put, and mostly accurate, but not 100%. And "transit=usa and other non-eu" is mostly accurate, but ovh does have peering to pa-nyix

Transit is anything else not on that list.

tomtom6
08-12-2008, 22:42
so average bandwidth includes transit(extra cost for ovh) and peering(no extra cost for ovh), doesnt it ?
when you say ' 8Mbps(USA and outside EU bandwidth) ', how about the traffic generated within EU but not between ovh peers ? is it still considered as peering or transit ?
thanks for the clearifications and sorry for so many questions.
cheers

wackomoo
08-12-2008, 22:38
from speedtest.net
testing on french server: 75000/75000 kb/s
testing on london server 71000/62000
testing on washington server 12000/1780
testing on NY sever 15000/500
all test were done while server was runing 1200 kb/s uploading, so not very accurate.
hope this help.
Thanks, it helps a bit. But if you could put a test file such as ftp://ftp.ovh.net/test.bin (~100MB) on a http or ftp for me that would be great. speedtest.net is inaccurate because its in flash and uses small files. Plus, I'd like to test it from 3-4 different ISP's as it's where my bigger client is

Andy
08-12-2008, 22:24
thanks Andy,

just came to realize that they didnt change the price on L, still 19.99+ less VAT(like nothing really).
Also read the [OVH's new bandwidth regime explained],thanks for the good work, so once the transit speed is dropped to 8Mbps,it will last for 24 hours( inc off-peak time) until usage is recalculated again. right ?
If I renew it to try out the new policy but turns out it doesnt work for me,say after 1 week, am I allowed to have an early cancellation to have rest of my money back ?
cheers.
The 95th percentile is calculated every 24 hours but it doesn't necessarily mean your speed will be reset. It will only be reset if you average bandwidth has dropped below the 8Mbps threshold.

tomtom6
08-12-2008, 19:33
Quote Originally Posted by wackomoo
Would you mind putting up a file for me to speedtest from your server? I'd like to know what kind of speeds to expect when in Low priority mode.
from speedtest.net
testing on french server: 75000/75000 kb/s
testing on london server 71000/62000
testing on washington server 12000/1780
testing on NY sever 15000/500
all test were done while server was runing 1200 kb/s uploading, so not very accurate.
hope this help.

wackomoo
08-12-2008, 19:11
Would you mind putting up a file for me to speedtest from your server? I'd like to know what kind of speeds to expect when in Low priority mode.

tomtom6
08-12-2008, 15:37
Quote Originally Posted by wackomoo
You can change your bw plan to the different ones available, once per month. I'm sure one of them will suit you
not really, I think the one I need would be at least SuperPlan Mini since it's the cheapest one without speed cap, however 50 quid per month plus set up fee still quite expensive to me atm.

here is the summary from my ovh manager.
Network connection: 100Mbps
Bandwidth type: Standard
OVH/OVH B/W: 100 Mbps
OVH/Internet B/W: 100 Mbps
Priority OVH/Internet: Low
Internet/OVH B/W : 100 Mbps
Traffic: unlimited
Current months traffic: 5 TB (informative)

wish I had renewed it much longer last month. so am I allowed to cancel it if it does suit me after a week ?

btw, it didnt show me any message about terms changing when I pretend to be renewing it just now.

wackomoo
08-12-2008, 14:39
You can change your bw plan to the different ones available, once per month. I'm sure one of them will suit you

tomtom6
08-12-2008, 14:12
thanks Andy,

just came to realize that they didnt change the price on L, still 19.99+ less VAT(like nothing really).
Also read the [OVH's new bandwidth regime explained],thanks for the good work, so once the transit speed is dropped to 8Mbps,it will last for 24 hours( inc off-peak time) until usage is recalculated again. right ?
If I renew it to try out the new policy but turns out it doesnt work for me,say after 1 week, am I allowed to have an early cancellation to have rest of my money back ?
cheers.

Andy
08-12-2008, 13:26
hey guys,
my old kimsufi L lease will expire soon, it was still on old price last month I renewed it and am not sure the new policy(OVH to Internet 8 Mbps) was applied to it since it's NoSLA already.
just wondering what woud happen if I renew it now, I reckon I wont be getting old price any more but how about the new traffic policy, will it kick in straight away ?

cheers
The price will remain unchanged, but the new traffic policy will kick in. By default you will be on SLA Standard, which means you get 100Mbps, but once you exceed 8Mbps your transit is limited to 8Mbps (USA and outside EU bandwidth), but, the peering (Europe bandwidth basically) continues to run at 100Mbps.

tomtom6
08-12-2008, 12:35
hey guys,
my old kimsufi L lease will expire soon, it was still on old price last month I renewed it and am not sure the new policy(OVH to Internet 8 Mbps) was applied to it since it's NoSLA already.
just wondering what woud happen if I renew it now, I reckon I wont be getting old price any more but how about the new traffic policy, will it kick in straight away ?

cheers