OVH Community, your new community space.

Shoutcast Streaming - Help Required

Dave
27-12-2008, 15:03
Quote Originally Posted by frostystart
Hi Tom
What I would do is get the cheapest one you can a Kimsufi Basic, your only installing 1 shoutcast on it so it wouldnt be hard to transfer everything after a month if it didnt perform, as you know I am running few shoutcasts on the basic one, and its coping fine, so start small and work your way up or you will never know!!
The cheapest Kimsufi has a 8Mbps 95th percentile limit and costs £20+vat, instead you could get a RPS I for £20+vat, same processor and 8Mbps limited 100Mbps connection... just a little less memory and hard drive space and it only costs £10+vat.

frostystart
27-12-2008, 11:43
Hi Tom
What I would do is get the cheapest one you can a Kimsufi Basic, your only installing 1 shoutcast on it so it wouldnt be hard to transfer everything after a month if it didnt perform, as you know I am running few shoutcasts on the basic one, and its coping fine, so start small and work your way up or you will never know!!

FREE Trial Shoutcast at www.ukinternetradio.net
www.rfmradio.co.uk

FS

PS Shoutcast on Windows?
Dont get a Windows server use Centos 5, I never had any Linux experience until I did my Shoutcasts.
Theres loads of help on the Winamp forums.

tomupton
20-12-2008, 16:07
HI all,

Thanks for all your help! i really appreciate it!

Ok im not too sure what to go for, and really could do with your help!

Right 2 options!
1) SuperPlan Mini (But what bandwidth option should i go for?)

or

2) a Kimsufi 2XL (once again with what bandwidth package)

As you are aware im going to be using this for streaming shoutcast.

A couple of people have mentioned using Windows, then others using Linux!! Im so confused about this all, and really do appreciate all your help!

On a different note, once ive ordered the server what would i need to do to secure it etc? Is it adviseable to have a Control Panel on the server? Also is there any freelance people who would secure and setup the server for me? Im happy to pay obviously!

Regards
Tom

*Mikee*
20-12-2008, 12:40
Yes you can move to a new server but you have to do this on your own -- You would just setup your os on the new server then transfer your data over from the old server to your new 1 -- You can pay for a firewall from ovh -- Or you can secure your server yourself.. Here are two good firewall's

Code:
http://www.configserver.com/cp/csf.html

http://www.r-fx.ca/apf.php
Hope this info helps

Quote Originally Posted by tomupton
Thanks to everyone who has replied in this forum!

Im considering going for a kimsufi, the server listed for £29.99 just to see how things go! As some of you are aware streaming is very up and down! More listeners during the evening than during the day etc... I suppose i have realised that the chances of me hitting 300 peak listeners for long periods could be quite slim initially, so if someone could possibly answer a few questions that would be fab!

1) If i purchase a Kimsufi server and decide at a later date to upgrade to a Pro Server e.g. an XL2 can the data etc be transfered to it? and the installation of the opertating system etc?

2) Has anyone used this (Gentoo 2006 Easy Streaming) It seems to cover everything that i need, but havent come across it before. I was planning to just install Shoutcast and thats it, but this covers other options for me!

3) if i decide to go ahead with this server and select Gentoo 2006 Easy Streaming as the OS, what sort of maintenance would i need to do on the server, would it need to be secured etc? im a web developer by trade so this would be a complete learning curve for me.

Your honest advice is much appreciated!

Tom

freshwire
20-12-2008, 02:30
All data transfer and re-installation need to be handled by yourself when moving server. It is fairly easy.

With regards to the OS. I have never tried it.

tomupton
20-12-2008, 02:28
Thanks to everyone who has replied in this forum!

Im considering going for a kimsufi, the server listed for £29.99 just to see how things go! As some of you are aware streaming is very up and down! More listeners during the evening than during the day etc... I suppose i have realised that the chances of me hitting 300 peak listeners for long periods could be quite slim initially, so if someone could possibly answer a few questions that would be fab!

1) If i purchase a Kimsufi server and decide at a later date to upgrade to a Pro Server e.g. an XL2 can the data etc be transfered to it? and the installation of the opertating system etc?

2) Has anyone used this (Gentoo 2006 Easy Streaming) It seems to cover everything that i need, but havent come across it before. I was planning to just install Shoutcast and thats it, but this covers other options for me!

3) if i decide to go ahead with this server and select Gentoo 2006 Easy Streaming as the OS, what sort of maintenance would i need to do on the server, would it need to be secured etc? im a web developer by trade so this would be a complete learning curve for me.

Your honest advice is much appreciated!

Tom

StreamingNeeds
13-12-2008, 12:15
check my sig

DigitalDaz
12-12-2008, 20:30
I have seen what I would consider appalling customer service on here and I did have a few issues at first but once sorted the kit seems rock solid and I don't think you will find a better price anywhere.

I have already taken a second box and will probably get more.

Andy
12-12-2008, 13:05
Quote Originally Posted by Danio
So I am assuming they do differentiate between peering and transit, just the traffic graph in the Manager (MRTG) doesn't support it. Is this correct?

So basically the 8Mbps average only applies to your transit bandwidth, and you're practically free to use 100Mbps over peering all day long?
Nobody seems to know for sure unfortunately. We still need official word from Oles...

Danio
12-12-2008, 13:03
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
They do to Europe over peering just not to other parts of the world over transit. You can happily do 100Mbps 24/7 over peering with a Kimsufi.
So I am assuming they do differentiate between peering and transit, just the traffic graph in the Manager (MRTG) doesn't support it. Is this correct?

So basically the 8Mbps average only applies to your transit bandwidth, and you're practically free to use 100Mbps over peering all day long?

Andy
11-12-2008, 17:10
Quote Originally Posted by tomupton
Hi and thanks to all who have replied.

To be honest i spent a great deal of time looking over this forum with regards to the bandwidth usage etc.

Cutting straight to the point, whats your experience with OVH, im very keen to take up one of their offers, but the numerous posts within this forum about bad customer service etc is worrying me to say the least...

As mentioned i want to stream globally, without a doubt the Super Plan looks like the best package for me, but will it be upto the job! I can see the network is peering with other partners, will this affect the speed and connection to the server?

Sorry for these basic questions, my Server experience is pretty limited.

Additonally has anyone on here used the OVH streaming software that can be installed on the server? I cant recall its name.

Thanks in advance.
Tom
I have what is effectively a "PRO" server (non-kimsufi in other words) and I am 100% satisfied with it. I've owned the server 1 year this month and I've never had any serious issues, only those that were my fault (software etc).

My 95th percentile average is 18Mbps and my average bandwidth outgoing today is 17.2Mbps, this week is 12.5Mbps with peaks of 60Mbps today too. I often hit 100Mbps syncing data with a friend in Sweden and he has no complaints about speed either.

My advise is if you feel you need bandwidth to all over the world, go PRO. If you need it to some of the world sometimes but Europe mostly, go Kimsufi. Always choose Standard or Premium bandwidth too, as in my opinion they are the best unless you specifically need 100% guarantees on bandwidth.

freshwire
11-12-2008, 16:01
Let's be honest on any active hosting forum what percentage of posts are praise? Very few. People only bother to post if they have something to complain about.

I think OVH are very good host but only lacking good communication in some areas.

If you were to have an average of 105 listeners for the monthly period then the 10mbps of the kimsufi would be fine. If your average is above this then you need pro server.

tomupton
11-12-2008, 15:53
Hi and thanks to all who have replied.

To be honest i spent a great deal of time looking over this forum with regards to the bandwidth usage etc.

Cutting straight to the point, whats your experience with OVH, im very keen to take up one of their offers, but the numerous posts within this forum about bad customer service etc is worrying me to say the least...

As mentioned i want to stream globally, without a doubt the Super Plan looks like the best package for me, but will it be upto the job! I can see the network is peering with other partners, will this affect the speed and connection to the server?

Sorry for these basic questions, my Server experience is pretty limited.

Additonally has anyone on here used the OVH streaming software that can be installed on the server? I cant recall its name.

Thanks in advance.
Tom

Andy
11-12-2008, 13:16
Quote Originally Posted by Danio
Exactly, go with the Super Plan. The Kimsufis don't allow much more than 10Mbps constantly.
They do to Europe over peering just not to other parts of the world over transit. You can happily do 100Mbps 24/7 over peering with a Kimsufi.

Danio
11-12-2008, 13:07
Quote Originally Posted by Azrael
If i did the math correctly, 300 listeners @ 96kbps = 28 Mbps. You should probably rather take that SuperPlan.
Exactly, go with the Super Plan. The Kimsufis don't allow much more than 10Mbps constantly.

Andy
11-12-2008, 12:33
It helps to search the forum before posting: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1199 - OVH's new bandwidth regime explained.

tomupton
11-12-2008, 01:06
Hi there guys,

Well im hoping some of you guys can give me some sounds advice.

I am looking for a dedi server to be able to run some shoutcast streaming from.

The server will be streaming at 96k and i would expect no more than 300 listeners at any one time. From my understanding the server will not require and super duper spec, as its only going to be used for streaming and not hosting websites.

Ive been looking and kimsufi XL2 package, but im not too sure who many cocurrent listeners i could have at any one time with that amount of bandwidth. Im going to be streaming globally.

My 2nd option is the SuperPlanBestOf - obviously this is alot dearer, but has better bandwidth options etc..

Putting it bluntly im mega confused with all the bandwidth options, and really need some genuine advice with regards to the direction i need to go.

Im concerned after reading through this forum about the lack of support being offered, and connection problems people are experiencing. But im at a stage to purchase a new server.

My goal is to keep costs down, but i need room for growth.

Please can someone advise?
Regards
Tom Upton