OVH Community, your new community space.

New web hosting

ryansstuff
26-12-2008, 23:04
Right i know it to do with the way the DNS is set up

Domain under ovh manger
www.ryans-stuff.com
www.rollercoastermad.com

Domain under a differ host
www.jadesonlinestuff.co.uk

The jades online stuff is the only one to work showing the website from the ovh server. but the two other domain names that are hosted by OVh them self'vs don't work now i know there server work but why not for them domains?

ryansstuff
26-12-2008, 12:43
i did set the DNS corectly on monday and one of your support team checked it for me

ryansstuff
26-12-2008, 12:41
oh ok so where do i go from there then mate because your phone lines are closed so wat do i do?

Neil
26-12-2008, 12:36
Quote Originally Posted by ryansstuff
right restarting it did not work, well i fixed the problem it had but the websites are still not showing. Would OVH look though the webmin if i asked them? just to check how i have done it?
Hi

The restart would of reloaded the services, and the websites might work in 24/48 hours when the DNS is propagated. If it doesn't work then there seems to be a complete failure of Apache or Webmin somewhere.

ryansstuff
26-12-2008, 11:59
right restarting it did not work, well i fixed the problem it had but the websites are still not showing. Would OVH look though the webmin if i asked them? just to check how i have done it?

ryansstuff
26-12-2008, 00:41
OK thanks mate i will post it on the forum anyway

Dave
25-12-2008, 23:13
If you've contacted OVH for help configuring apache I'm not sure you'll have too much luck, RPS's like most OVH servers are self managed which means you're responsible for the software configuration of your server and OVH just take care of hardware and transit.

If contacting OVH doesn't get anywhere you might be better off trying to find help on the forum, but I'd imagine its not a big deal the error sounds like it could be your not passing an IP/hostname to bind to or its wrong, but I've not used apache in a while prefer lighty now.

ryansstuff
24-12-2008, 21:59
Ah it turns out the server not restating an bringing up errors

Your Apache configuration is incorrect:
Syntax error on line 1114 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf: The address or port is invalid Apache could not restart:
Syntax error on line 1114 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf: The address or port is invalid

So i contacted them to see what they need to do that must be why its not working.

ryansstuff
24-12-2008, 21:50
yer i nkow i think i might delete them and try again. but i did put the in webmin (i only have the webmin thiny installed on mine

Dave
24-12-2008, 17:38
Everything seems to be pointing in the correct direction:

r17426.ovh.net 87.98.181.242
ryans-stuff.com 87.98.181.242

But when going to any of the addresses or IP address I get no response from the web server, have you installed & setup a web server on the RPS yet?

From my experience OVH installs on the RPS (only used the CentOS build) come very light with virtually no services running or installed other than SSHD (although more recently I had noticed a friends initial OVH install had webmin installed?)

ezdub
20-12-2008, 17:23
Doing a search it all looks like it is pointing to the right server.

In your manager is the rps server name r17426.ovh.net as well?

If yes then the domain is already pointing to your server and all you need to do is setup the hosting in your webadmin of gentoo you would not need the OVH manager for that at all.

The access should be all listed in the email when you paid for your rps.

ryansstuff
20-12-2008, 17:15
www.ryans-stuff.com yes that is what i set it as

ezdub
20-12-2008, 17:11
Does that correspond with your RPS details. IP address and so on?

if the IP address and r17426.ovh.net are the is the same for both then the domain is already pointing to the server.

Can I ask what is the domain name I can try a whois and see what is bing listed.

If you dont want to post it on the forum then you can always MSN me for rivate chat.

ryansstuff
20-12-2008, 16:58
the thing is the domain were set up a few mins after me buying the rps so i never set them up for it because the RPS was not even showing in my accont at the time

And

IP address: 87.98.181.242
Server name: r17426.ovh.net

that is all the information i could find

ezdub
20-12-2008, 16:44
Umm!

I have never used RPS, so I am not sure what name server you would use but I am guessing it should be the same as what I said.

Have a look at what I said and what does it say dns server

ryansstuff
20-12-2008, 16:38
i have the RPS III if that helps

ezdub
20-12-2008, 16:36
Then you when you ordered the domain name you should have chossen the server that you wanted it to point to already.

If not then to get it to point to your server just select the domain name click on damains & dns, then choose dns server and it will tell you what name server it is pointing to. If you think it is wrong then you can modify it.

Depending on what server you have will depend on which name server to use.

You will not need the ip address.

What server do you have (best of, kimsufi)

ryansstuff
20-12-2008, 16:30
without hosting. and yes i have one of them is set up but i need to point the domain to the server from ovh

ezdub
20-12-2008, 16:27
Ok did you order the domain name with ovh with or without hosting?

Have you tried setting up the domain in webadmin on the server (not the ovh manager)

ryansstuff
20-12-2008, 16:22
yer but i already have the domain on the ovh domain thing i just need to get it to want to point it at the server but i can't find where to do it from

ezdub
20-12-2008, 16:19
You can do the hosting via the webadmin on the server. While I have not really used it that much I know you can do it quite easy.

I would point the domain in the manager to your server then in the webadmin of the server you can setup the hosting there.

For myself I use plesk as it is very easy to setup domains and hosting.

ryansstuff
20-12-2008, 16:18
Rack space: 21C14
Number: 64785
Version: 3
System (OS): gentoo-ovh

right that is what it shows

ezdub
20-12-2008, 16:15
I see, I have always done my hosting through the OS on the server.

Can I ask what OS you are runing on the server?

ryansstuff
20-12-2008, 16:13
gentoo-ovh thats what it says in the admin panel

ezdub
20-12-2008, 16:13
I see, I have always done my hosting through the OS on the server.

Can I ask what OS you are runing on the server?

ryansstuff
20-12-2008, 16:12
gentoo-ovh. any way that can be down will be great

ezdub
20-12-2008, 16:11
Yes i see what you are trying to do.

I have never done it that way, I have always done the hosting via the OS.

What OS are you using on your server?

ryansstuff
20-12-2008, 14:27
No i think you have mistuder stood. but i want to connect the domain to the server for the web hosting. as the DNS server thing won't let me put in the IP's

This is what a know: (this is where i think i need to be)

Domain name > hosting > add web hosting > Add to DNS ( advanced configuration)

but then i don't get what it means by select zone type what would i put in there?

ezdub
20-12-2008, 12:50
Are you doing this via the OVH manager?

Or when ordering a domain name?

In the manager under your domain name look for the domain & dns icon, then click dns servers and then modify which server to point to.

If you are ordering a domain name you should select no hosting and then you will be able to choose which server to point to.

Note: I always make sure when ordering a domain via ovh to be logged in it saves adding all the details.

ryansstuff
20-12-2008, 12:09
Right im confused with the system.
I want to connect the domain names to my server now i now to it but i can't get in to the records area. The only thing avilble to my domain names is the add web hosting but in there how to i connect that to my RPS.

Many Thanks
Ryan Bowden