OVH Community, your new community space.

I'm having a DNS problem

Ollie
05-01-2009, 10:44
Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDaz
Ollie: Are you going to run your own DNS servers?

If not, at fasthosts set your A and MX records to point at your OVH box.

If you are, then set up DNS at your box and at fasthosts point your NS entries to your box.

You will need the ability to create NS records at fasthosts to do this.
Quote Originally Posted by Don
Hi Ollie

Welcome aboard. I am a new member like you and have been transferring a number of domains to my OVH server which has a Plesk front end.

That's it. This will get your websites up and running. Make sure the nameservers in step 2 are the same as in step 1, and that the IP address in step 3 is the same as in step 2.

Your domain will not be visible in your web browser until it propagates. Sometimes that can be very fast - but at other times can take 24 hours or so.

It is also possible to set up your own name servers e.g. ns1.yippees.co.uk and ns2.yippees.co.uk - but that is for another post!

Best wishes and good luck
Don
Guys thank you both very much for your help, we went with DigitalDaz's option and it worked like a charm.

And Don, your hard work wasn't wasted, as it helped me understand and I'm sure many others will use it in the future!

Don
04-01-2009, 19:08
Hi Ollie

Welcome aboard. I am a new member like you and have been transferring a number of domains to my OVH server which has a Plesk front end.

DNS is a bit of a black art for many of us - but try the following three steps which should get your domains up and running.

This is how to:

install domain yippees.co.uk (i.e. the domain registered by you)
on server NSXXXXXX.ovh.net (as given to you by OVH)
on IP xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (as given to you by OVH)

STEP ONE - FASTHOSTS (ukreg.com)

Login and change the nameservers for your domain to

NSXXXXXX.ovh.net

and

sdns1.ovh.net

This is all you need to do at Fasthosts.

STEP TWO - YOUR SERVER

Add your domain (e.g. yippees.co.uk) to your server using Plesk (or whatever)

Now check the DNS records for your domain (NB note the DNS records for your domain not the DNS records for your server).

These should look like

yippees.co.uk. NS NSXXXXXX.ovh.net
yippees.co.uk. NS sdns1.ovh.net.
mail.yippees.co.uk. A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
yippees.co.uk. A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
webmail.yippees.co.uk. A xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
ftp.yippees.co.uk. CNAME yippees.co.uk.
www.yippees.co.uk. CNAME yippees.co.uk.
yippees.co.uk. MX (10) mail.yippees.co.uk.
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx / 24 PTR yippees.co.uk.

If they don't look like this, just edit them in Plesk.

STEP THREE - YOUR OVH MANAGER

Login in and select your server
Select Services
Select Secondary DNS
Select New domain
Enter yippees.co.uk
Choose xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx as the IP address
Click on Accept

That's it. This will get your websites up and running. Make sure the nameservers in step 2 are the same as in step 1, and that the IP address in step 3 is the same as in step 2.

Your domain will not be visible in your web browser until it propagates. Sometimes that can be very fast - but at other times can take 24 hours or so.

It is also possible to set up your own name servers e.g. ns1.yippees.co.uk and ns2.yippees.co.uk - but that is for another post!

Best wishes and good luck
Don

DigitalDaz
04-01-2009, 17:59
Ollie: Are you going to run your own DNS servers?

If not, at fasthosts set your A and MX records to point at your OVH box.

If you are, then set up DNS at your box and at fasthosts point your NS entries to your box.

You will need the ability to create NS records at fasthosts to do this.

Ollie
04-01-2009, 17:11
Thanks. My domain is registered with Fasthosts (UK Reg), but I can't transfer it for another 2 weeks which really isn't ideal.

ryansstuff
04-01-2009, 16:59
Depends who your domain with. but go to your MX record's and change them to your server ip address.

I would recomend moving your domain to OVh much easier to use i had a problem but it turned out it was because one of the domain didn't transferr so it stoped the other two working untill.

Ollie
04-01-2009, 16:44
Hi guys,

I'm a new OVH customer, and this is my first time on the forums

I have read all the stickies and tutorials but there is still something I'm having problems understanding, I understand how DNS works (at a basic level) and how hosting and domain name registration works etc, but I'm not quite sure how to make them work 'together'.

I have a dedicated server with OVH and I have a domain name that I registered with someone else. Obviously I want my domain name to point to my dedicated server.

The problem is how do I make that happen? I can edit the nameservers for my domain (not registered with OVH) or I can use the IP address to point my domain at my server, but if I do that the address bar shows my IP not my domain name.

So I hope that all makes sense, basically what I can't work out is if I should change my nameservers on my domain registration, or if I do it the otherway around and use my current nameservers somewhere in the OVH manager.

Many thanks in advance for any help provided