OVH Community, your new community space.

Please help a total newbie lol :(

raidensnake
09-01-2009, 22:56
overkill? you can never be too careful.

wackomoo
07-01-2009, 09:50
ddos protection? for a server hosting his family photos? a little overkill eh

raidensnake
07-01-2009, 07:07
you might also want to consider getting DDOS protection also. The best I've found for windows is FortGuard Anti-DDOS Firewall. There is a free download but the trial is limited to 2 hours then a restart is needed. However if a DDOS attack is happening recommend you use it during that time.

iand
07-01-2009, 03:21
i do recomend u purchase a firewall program and antivirus seem to be a lot of virused windows servers on ovh

freshwire
07-01-2009, 02:00
Your Welcome.

Jonathan.

George100
06-01-2009, 23:54
Thanks monkey im up and running , perfect !

Cheers you are a gentleman monkey sir , i assumed i needed a specific program other than that , thanks for your constructive posting .

This is my first ever time doing this , i lack experience , not intelligence btw.

Andy
06-01-2009, 23:48
If you don't know how to install a program on Windows, then why do you use a computer? That is what I am trying to say. You are not ready for a dedicated server. Don't let me stop you trying to use one, but I won't be helping you with such simple things.

George100
06-01-2009, 23:46
ok thanks monkey , il see what i can do with that.

Wow Andy , im only asking for what program to get me up and running and installing stuff to run it from the server , once im connected it will be no worries at all , but thanks for laying into me anyway!

Andy
06-01-2009, 23:41
If you don't know such basic things, you don't need a dedicated server. Go back to shared/reseller hosting. Simple really. I'd love to help but not knowing such simple things, its not in my interest to help. I'm not patient enough.

freshwire
06-01-2009, 23:38
You can use remote control software such as remote desktop or VNC.

I would try connecting with remote desktop first since that probably gonna be the thing enabled.

On vista just do a search in programs for 'Remote Desktop Connection'.

Or just hunt around for something of similar title if your not using vista.

Connect up to your server and fingers crossed you should see the desktop.

.... if you have problems with that wait for another reply here since personally I've only had linux servers with OVH.

George100
06-01-2009, 23:18
Hi guys , i decided to try a server for the first time ever by purchasing an OVH server today running on windows 2003 .

The problem is ive never done any remote management etc on anything before so i have no idea what to do ( i know , i know , sorry ) .

I have downloaded filezilla and i am able to transfer a file from my pc to the server no problem .

What i dont know how to do is how do i go about installing / running software etc , is there a program i need to do this please ?
I was going to put all the usual stuff on like Utorrent and family pictures/videos etc on , but once i transfer it to the server , how do i install Utorrent/picture viewers etc to it please ?

Any help appreciated , i really dont know what to do after transfering files over, thanks.

Sorry for the seriously newbie question here,
George.