OVH Community, your new community space.

Service monitoring with auto-restart?

AndiTails
17-01-2009, 01:12
As the original post in this thread states - I can't seem to install any software due to lack of dependencies which should all be included by default in any Gentoo installation.

I also have a problemw with the way Gentoo handles the Fallback IP which is causing my SSH Tunnel to come up in French and not English (therefore no BBCi access).

I'm also struggling with minor things like being able to create a custom FTP login.. I can't install ISPconfig... The list goes on.

Just don't like it - and I think it doesn't like me either!

Will be a happier place on Ubuntu tomorrow hopefully.
As then the guides I follow will actually work. Any Gentoo guides I follow just fall flat on their behind...

Gentoo OVH r2 is, I'm sure, fine for a small website, setup, and just use.
But I'm a 'fiddler' and 'experimenter' with my server, and its just too restrictive.

Neil
16-01-2009, 17:17
Quote Originally Posted by AndiTails
I'd agree with you with regards to Webmin on a 'normal install' of Linux, but sadly there's so many things disabled or missing on the OVH release 2 Gentoo that so much of it doesn't work as it should

I'll be installing it on Ubuntu though, that's for sure.
Andi, what issue are you having with Release 2?

freshwire
16-01-2009, 17:14
I just have a cron job running minutely to check the status of apache/mysql/ssh.

You could do something similar.

AndiTails
16-01-2009, 17:13
I'd agree with you with regards to Webmin on a 'normal install' of Linux, but sadly there's so many things disabled or missing on the OVH release 2 Gentoo that so much of it doesn't work as it should

I'll be installing it on Ubuntu though, that's for sure.

Neil
16-01-2009, 17:12
Quote Originally Posted by derchris
Plesk is the last software I would ever install on a server, doesn't matter which OS.

Webmin is brilliant. UI is less important then functions. And Webmin is superior in functions/options then any other so called Server control panel.
It depends, installing Plesk at any time is risky, I run Plesk and that is it on my server because from past experience it does not like any thing else on the server

derchris
16-01-2009, 15:24
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Plesk does completely manage the server in some ways and does do things you don't want it to do time to time but I would say it is the best at its job.

Webmin is not great but then I do find the open source community is not good at UI but it does get the job done.

That guide is great, I might try that myself, thanks that!
Plesk is the last software I would ever install on a server, doesn't matter which OS.

Webmin is brilliant. UI is less important then functions. And Webmin is superior in functions/options then any other so called Server control panel.

DigitalDaz
16-01-2009, 10:58
Tonight's the night of the reinstall - am looking forward to it! lol
The server has actually been very reliable under Gentoo - once I got round the initial MySQL and Apache setup. After I tweaked those, I've not had to do a service restart all week (the point of this thread) - its just sad that the initial setup of both is so, well, naff! You supply boxes with 4gb RAM, yet dedicate a lowly 8mb to MySQL? No wonder it falls over! And I think it was a 2mb buffer for Apache? Ouch!

I hope he adds GD-support and php-mysql support into that guide before this evening, as I'll be needing those... haha!
Should be as easy as:
apt-get install php5-gd php5-mysql
/etc/init.d/apache2 restart

AndiTails
16-01-2009, 09:58
Tonight's the night of the reinstall - am looking forward to it! lol
The server has actually been very reliable under Gentoo - once I got round the initial MySQL and Apache setup. After I tweaked those, I've not had to do a service restart all week (the point of this thread) - its just sad that the initial setup of both is so, well, naff! You supply boxes with 4gb RAM, yet dedicate a lowly 8mb to MySQL? No wonder it falls over! And I think it was a 2mb buffer for Apache? Ouch!

I hope he adds GD-support and php-mysql support into that guide before this evening, as I'll be needing those... haha!

Neil
13-01-2009, 21:34
Plesk does completely manage the server in some ways and does do things you don't want it to do time to time but I would say it is the best at its job.

Webmin is not great but then I do find the open source community is not good at UI but it does get the job done.

That guide is great, I might try that myself, thanks that!

AndiTails
13-01-2009, 20:46
Thank you, Neil - excellent news. Would much rather use your 'official' releases than going-alone and doing a PXE install of my own distro!

I just didn't like the complete strangehold Plesk had on the system. I like nice Web Interfaces (side-note: OVHm is fugly lol) but I also like it when dabbling on the system is allowed and changes are reflected in the web interface. Plesk just assumes it is the ruler of your server and will be obeyed.

Looking forward to Friday now (how sad, I should perhaps get a social life instead?)
This looks an excellent guide (I hope): http://nanotux.com/blog/the-ultimate-server/

Neil
13-01-2009, 20:42
Cheers, Andy - I was probably going to resort to a self-made script in the end
I do find that apache and/or mysql seem to stall rather than fail, so they may return ok statuses, but not actually be.
Some heavy httpd.conf and my.conf editting, and they're both now running pretty sweet - albeit the server isn't quite as I want.

And fozle - I agree 100%, the Mrs. is out Friday night, so a good time to reinstall the server again!

One question though - is OVH's Ubunutu install 'fiddled' with much?
Is it a full custom-kernel, bits removed jobby - or completely standard?
Or is it standard plus RTM added?
I think that + lighttpd + mysql5 + php5 would be a best combo. As long as its full, actual, not-stripped-out-or-messed-with Ubuntu Server...
Hi, Ubuntu has not been fiddled with much, a few changes to the Kernel and with RTM - it is what I would call a clean install.

So you could try that with lighttpd, mysql 5 and php 5.

Also going back to Plesk, what I found was click to install the updates it will then say 'Installation in Progress' and leave it until you get the email saying 'auto update success' which can be sometime, but Plesk does have a mind of its own.

AndiTails
13-01-2009, 20:37
Cheers, Andy - I was probably going to resort to a self-made script in the end
I do find that apache and/or mysql seem to stall rather than fail, so they may return ok statuses, but not actually be.
Some heavy httpd.conf and my.conf editting, and they're both now running pretty sweet - albeit the server isn't quite as I want.

And fozle - I agree 100%, the Mrs. is out Friday night, so a good time to reinstall the server again!

One question though - is OVH's Ubunutu install 'fiddled' with much?
Is it a full custom-kernel, bits removed jobby - or completely standard?
Or is it standard plus RTM added?
I think that + lighttpd + mysql5 + php5 would be a best combo. As long as its full, actual, not-stripped-out-or-messed-with Ubuntu Server...

Andy
13-01-2009, 19:42
If you want apache to restart if it falls over, make a cron which runs every 60 seconds to check if you get a status 200 from the server. If it doesn't get one, restart the service. If it does, ignore it.

fozl
13-01-2009, 17:47
Perhaps you could try one of the basic installations, this way you can setup the server precisely as you wnt it to be, not you'll have to install not just the control panel you want but also Apache, MySQL, Perl/php/Python etc yourself, but in this way you'll have maximal control over what versions and what configs you have.

AndiTails
12-01-2009, 13:37
Hi all,

I've had a dedicated server with OVH for about a month, and coming accross a couple of issues.

I originally chose a CentOS/Plesk install, as I liked the Plesk interface for looking after the server. That was a source of no-end of problems, mostly to do with Plesk itself (constantly telling me it needs updating, yet run the update and its up to date, and would hang the server randomly (during use) which would sometimes fix itself within 5 minutes, or would need a hard reboot). I ended up not using it due to its reliability.

And then, when not being used, the server would fail with swap rushing to 100% and fallover. I couldn't ssh in to see, the logs didn't mention anything, and I even got top emailed out every hour, but there was nothing happening slowly, it just 'died'.

So, I thought perhaps best to go to OVH release 2 (gentoo) instead, as it should be pretty well setup for the hardware / support, etc.

Install went smoothly, and although MySQL was only setup with 8mb RAM (my site uses phpBB 3 which needs a minimum of 16mb) and the Apache setup was, well, a bit 'limited', my server is back up and running.

I chose the x64 variant, as I have 4gb RAM and stability is my major concern.

However, I now randomly have MySQLd falling over. It seems to just flick to 100% CPU usage and hang. A /etc/init.d/mysql restart fixes it - but I can't be around all the time to do that
So, how about MON or some other monitoring software which would do that for me? I must have tried to install 3 or 4 now, but they all fail on install or running with missing dependencies, even though they should 'just work' on Gentoo with the standard Perl packages.

*sigh*
What can I use to monitor Apache and MySQL, and restart them if they stall?
Why is it Gentoo 2006?! Isn't that a bit old now

I just want a reliable server, that can handle a 10,000 user phpBB forum, with rock-solid MySQL5 + PHP5 via Apache 2.
And I'd like it to tell me if it has problems, but try to restart things automatically if it does...

My old server with The Planet did all this - so any suggestions to get the same out of this would be very gratefully received.

Should I try a different installation?
Perhaps a net-install of a completely different Linux OS?

All advice gratefully received