OVH Community, your new community space.

Horrible support

lacky
19-01-2009, 23:16
Okay, so if this was an actual hardware issue, why was I never told about it before I woke up to find a blanked server? I admit, I'm using raid0 to take advantage of all the space available, and I understand the risks involved with that. I'm more concerned about the fact that your technicians are playing around with my server without asking me beforehand, that's what irks me.

Oles, I realize now that I forgot to put in my servers' identification numbers, that's my bad. I don't mean this to be spam, I'm just hoping that now that this issue is out in the open, it might actually be looked upon as an area in which you can better the support and services you provide.

I've had tickets open in my Manager for all three issues, and placed multiple phone calls, so it's not like this was my only call for support. I waiting greater than a day for replies on all the tickets, and the promised follow-up calls by the telephone operator never happened. Granted they've all been updated by now, but the delay on matters as urgent as hard drive failures is unacceptable.

Marco, thanks for that update. I never received that, however. If I had, I wouldn't have been nearly as upset as I was.

The European, thanks for that link. I'm going to check which firmware my drives are using, I hadn't previously thought of that issue.

The European
19-01-2009, 14:16
Just for the benefit of the OVH team, if Seagate kit is in use, there's a critical firmware fix for ~1TB units due to high failure rates.

http://forums.seagate.com/stx/board/...thread.id=4771

I'm not linking directly to the Seagate knowledge base as the server for that appears broken.

Marco
19-01-2009, 10:17
Hello,

You have received a message in French explaining you the reason why the Hard Drive was replaced.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
serveur sur ecran noir, pas d'acces clavier
hard reboot effectue
le disque dur port 0 n'est plus detect�
Disque dur port 0 HS
remplacement du disque dur
le serveur demande un fsck manuel
apres ctrl d
serveur sur login
ping ok
services ouverts

Which means:

The server ns367606.ovh.net was not pinging and on a black screen without local keyboard access,
Hard reboot done
The hard drive port0 was not detected anymore
The hard drive port0 was out of order
Hard drive replacement
The server requested a manual fsck
After ctrl d
Server on a login
Ping ok
Services open.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As the hard drive was not detected, the technician replaced it.

Unfortunately this is the first time that I've seen so much poor luck, as you had 3 hard drives failed in 4 days on 2 servers, but please bear in mind that all the hard drives were functioning properly and failed afterwards.

You lost your data probably because you were using raid 0. For more security I would recommend you to use raid1.

I hope this is the last time this happens to you.

oles@ovh.net
18-01-2009, 11:24
lacky a écrit:
>

how are you ? what is your dedicated server name ? why you post here
in anonymous way ? do you expect something from ovh or not ? or you
want just to troll the wk ?

lacky
17-01-2009, 19:28
Just to continue this, one of my PERFECTLY GOOD hard drives was just replaced. I didn't ask for it to be replaced, they never told me it was going to be replaced. I just woke up, and all the data on my server is LOST AGAIN. This is sad. This is very, very sad. I haven't been able to go a week without losing the data on that server. A server meant to store lots of data, can't fricken store data!

The European
15-01-2009, 13:56
Quote Originally Posted by Splitting.Heads
Seagate 1.5TB drives have a very high fail rate, maybe they should look at alternatives?
This seems to be the case with the 'bleeding edge' products from most manufacturers.

As a rule of thumb, I use drives with a capacity equal to 50% of the highest capacity product. I find this improves reliability by a great measure.

Splitting.Heads
15-01-2009, 12:05
Seagate 1.5TB drives have a very high fail rate, maybe they should look at alternatives?

Andy
13-01-2009, 12:13
Hard drives fail, its a fact of life. The drive probably was tested before it was given to you in a server, but drives can fail without warning even when brand new.

I just took a look at the SLA and it is 24 hours, so in fact OVH did breech the SLA agreement.

lacky
13-01-2009, 02:49
I order from FR, I'm in Quebec... As for the SLA, I'm pretty sure 4 days of downtime due to failed hardware is a breach of their agreement, and if it's not there's something seriously wrong with it. Either way, we've already established during the 30 minutes I was actually able to talk to someone that I will be compensated, but that's not my point.

Giving out servers without running hardware tests first is irresponsible. Two servers with dead hard drives within days of receiving them is worse. Not getting any support over a period of four days is criminal. Between now and Friday I've received maybe 30 minutes worth of support, and only midday today. All my updates since then have gone unanswered.

If these were Kimsufis I'd shuck the 20€ and order a new one, but this is an SP Storage and an SP BestOF, not exactly cheap boxes I can just throw away.

The only good thing to come out of this so far is that I've found a bug in the Manager where Quebec residents can't create incidents, which as of yet hasn't been fixed.

Andy
12-01-2009, 20:12
Currently there is no weekend support for any country except FR. This will change some time this year but there is no ETA. It should be noted that you should look at your SLA agreement which has not yet been broken.

lacky
12-01-2009, 17:57
Just to add, the hard drive in another server of mine just failed. ns367606 and ns367562 both have hard disk failures. I can not create incidents, so I've put in tickets on both.

lacky
12-01-2009, 17:51
One of my server's hard drives died over the weekend, and the manager won't let me create an incident since it doesn't like the format of my Quebec phone number. It's a valid number that's been verified by txt message.

Rant:
Being unable to create incidents, I created a normal ticket, which was left untouched throughout the weekend, and was only just updated today (created four days ago). Seeing that this wasn't getting me anywhere, I placed two international long-distance calls to English phone support, both times being assured that they were 'looking into the issue'. It's now been four days, and my server still has a dead hard drive.

And now for the upsides:
My ticket was updated in the middle of me writing this, but apparently they are now working on making the incident form Quebec friendly. The support today has been very helpful. Weekend and phone support still needs to improve, and actually do what they tell us they'll do. I will be compensated for the downtime, but that's not the point.

I know you've been making it a priority to improve support, but this is just horrible.