OVH Community, your new community space.

Help Needed To free up space on Kimsufi Root

frostystart
19-01-2009, 19:30
Quote Originally Posted by derchris
Would help if we would know the OS
Linux/Centos 5

derchris
19-01-2009, 19:25
Would help if we would know the OS

DigitalDaz
19-01-2009, 16:43
/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start

should be, I think

/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysql start

frostystart
19-01-2009, 16:21
Can I talk with you on msn? frostystart@hotmail.com

ScreenGoblin
19-01-2009, 16:08
no such file or directory?? it might be worth looking at the mysqld script within the init.d directory to see where it's trying to load from, either that or look at the mysql error logs to see what else is happening besides the db's..

SG

frostystart
19-01-2009, 16:03
Thanks But mysql isnt running and i cant start it I get Failed to start database :

sh: /etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld: No such file or directory

when I try to start it last time this happened I had to reboot the server which I plan to do wednesday as I have created mirror shoutcasts for all my cleints on another server I have just set up

Thanks FS

So they can continue streaming on the other server

ScreenGoblin
19-01-2009, 14:32
Sure thing and it helps that you're using webmin and not cPanel as that could get interesting...
First thing you need to do is to find your my.ini file, you can get this by SSH into your root user and typing the following:
Code:
locate my.ini
If you don't get any joy then i recommend typing in
Code:
updatedb
they trying again.
Once you've found it open it in your fav editor e.g. vi /path/to/file/my.ini
In the head section of that file you'll see the following info:
Code:
#Path to installation directory. All paths are usually resolved relative to this.
basedir="/path/to/mysql/folder/"

#Path to the database root
datadir="/path/to/mysql/data/folder/"
Once you've created your database folders in the /home partition and COPIED all the databases across, you can edit the database root line to point to the new location, save the file and restart mysql.

*NOTE:* Its advisable to not remove the old database root line but to comment it out incase of problems, you can comment the ini file by putting a # at the start of the line. I take no responsibility for any data loss or damage as a result of you using this modification *NOTE:*

The other way to do this would be by symbolic linking, the best thing to do there would be to google "Linux Symbolic Linking" if you're unsure how to do this.

Hope this helps you some.. i'm asuming that as you have shoutcast servers on there already and the like that you already know how to edit and stop/start services, if this isn't the case let me know!

SG

frostystart
19-01-2009, 14:19
I really dont want to format the drive inless I really have to I have loads of clients on there with all shoutcasts details etc

frostystart
19-01-2009, 14:11
Quote Originally Posted by ScreenGoblin
Frostystart: don't know if you realise it or not, but you can change by default where mysql stores its databases by editing the configs. This may be an easier option for those that don't want to have to re-install or re-partition the existing server.
Failing that, if you really can't get to grips with the mysql configs, you can always create space on your /home drive for the databases and just link the directory that mysql uses to store to that directory on /home.

It works though either way, i've had to do this on previous servers where re-partition was not an option. This also works well for apache or anything that will create copious amounts of log files to dump.
Can you give me a step by step way of doing this the easiest way please I have webmin installed if this helps

Thanks FS

ScreenGoblin
19-01-2009, 14:06
Frostystart: don't know if you realise it or not, but you can change by default where mysql stores its databases by editing the configs. This may be an easier option for those that don't want to have to re-install or re-partition the existing server.
Failing that, if you really can't get to grips with the mysql configs, you can always create space on your /home drive for the databases and just link the directory that mysql uses to store to that directory on /home.

It works though either way, i've had to do this on previous servers where re-partition was not an option. This also works well for apache or anything that will create copious amounts of log files to dump.

freshwire
16-01-2009, 20:33
Rename is to '_cpanel' and restart the machine...

If everything is still working you can proceed to delete it.

Neil
16-01-2009, 17:17
Quote Originally Posted by frostystart
Hi No I have just got another server I still have the problem on the old one I read in another thread that I could configure the partitions from startup so thats what I am doing with the new on 125gig in root 123 gig in home

Thanks Colin

Ps I think its cpanel taking up a lot of space as I dont use it can I just delte the cpanel folder?
You can if it is not installed or running your webserver, but otherwise be very careful!

frostystart
16-01-2009, 14:47
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Hi, I see you are reinstalling the operating system, when you came to install the operating system did you change the partitions, if so then that would solve, but also it would of been good to check what you had in root.
Hi No I have just got another server I still have the problem on the old one I read in another thread that I could configure the partitions from startup so thats what I am doing with the new on 125gig in root 123 gig in home

Thanks Colin

Ps I think its cpanel taking up a lot of space as I dont use it can I just delte the cpanel folder?

Neil
16-01-2009, 14:40
Hi, I see you are reinstalling the operating system, when you came to install the operating system did you change the partitions, if so then that would solve, but also it would of been good to check what you had in root.

DigitalDaz
16-01-2009, 14:18
I suppose a good start would be to see if you have anything in /root

frostystart
16-01-2009, 13:19
Hi I have major problems, my root part of the server only 5gig in size is Full so my Mysql database wont operate and so my Cast Control panel is inoperative, I cant increase its size so need to delete some files and folders or move the Mysql to the bigger /home directory.

Just need to know which files and folders I can get rid of I only run shoutcast servers on it, no pictures, videos etc

Check the error here http://ukir2008.co.uk

Why is the root space by default soooooo small??

Thanks FS