OVH Community, your new community space.

Installing your own choice of OS via vKVM, it works!

dima1236
25-11-2009, 00:33
The problem wasn't with vmware, it was with debian not booting correctly and was timed out, but according to this second guide i managed to get debian up and running but with wrong kernel ( 486) , but managed to get vmware up and running, right now i am reinstalling debian with another kernel and gonna install vmware again.

thanks all for the information, really appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by IainK
@dima1236: what is the error that VMware is giving you? Is it about not being able to find a modules folder for your kernel?

I found that by simply creating this folder it complained about fixed the issue and it installed and worked fine, no modular kernel required. Give that a try.

IainK
24-11-2009, 23:37
@dima1236: what is the error that VMware is giving you? Is it about not being able to find a modules folder for your kernel?

I found that by simply creating this folder it complained about fixed the issue and it installed and worked fine, no modular kernel required. Give that a try.

derchris
24-11-2009, 19:43
You can use this Guide:

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3011

everwicked
24-11-2009, 19:37
If you just want a plain debian then why don't you install Lenny from the OS Reinstall of the OVH manager???

dima1236
24-11-2009, 19:35
I am not that linux expert to get into kernels etc..., i just need a simple plain DEBIAN to install vmware server 2.0 on it ,
i installed debian via vKVM and reboot in HD, i saw that no ping was coming so i logged in into rescue and configured properly the network interface and reboot back into HD mode and still no ping,
right now i have no idea what to try next
Quote Originally Posted by everwicked
You can always use Netboot to boot a stock OVH Kernel on your new linux partition - if you have configured the network properly, it should work. From there you can make a new kernel that'll work with your system.

everwicked
24-11-2009, 18:51
You can always use Netboot to boot a stock OVH Kernel on your new linux partition - if you have configured the network properly, it should work. From there you can make a new kernel that'll work with your system.

dima1236
24-11-2009, 18:50
Thanks for your reply, as i am already braking my head into the wall for 12hours figuring out how to make it work
the other tutorial didn't work for me eaither, i am trying to do it on SP mini....,

if you have any ideas feel free to share: )

IainK
24-11-2009, 18:33
@dima1236: I discovered that this method will not work quite as easily as I originally stated and I probably posted a bit early. You see whilst it will always work great over vKVM over IP it will not work when you reboot on the servers normal hardware.

How could this be fixed? Well we would have to find out what exactly what kernel modules are required to boot (and run) the server and then we would define them in /etc/modprobe.conf. Then it would work I think.

However I think you should use this man's tutorial right here:
http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3011

dima1236
24-11-2009, 16:52
At what stage i configure network ? :P
it never asked me for anything and was working pretty good with internet as it was downloading packages etc.... also it detect DHCP...,
any ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by everwicked
Did you configure the network properly?

everwicked
24-11-2009, 16:45
Quote Originally Posted by dima1236
Hey Guys,
I have just tried to install debian lenny, the install went good and everything was setup, i reboot the server back into HD boot and here the problem begins,
the server never gets running and i am getting ping request timed out,

anyone know how to solve this ?

big thanks in advance.
Did you configure the network properly?

dima1236
24-11-2009, 16:37
Hey Guys,
I have just tried to install debian lenny, the install went good and everything was setup, i reboot the server back into HD boot and here the problem begins,
the server never gets running and i am getting ping request timed out,

anyone know how to solve this ?

big thanks in advance.

everwicked
06-11-2009, 19:22
Anyone interested in installing Windows on an OVH/Kimsufi box, please take a look here: http://forums.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?p=23229

DedicatedPros
09-07-2009, 09:02
Yes but its uber simple

DigitalDaz
09-07-2009, 00:24
Yes but again, its not a modular kernel.

DedicatedPros
02-07-2009, 22:56
CentOS 5.3 can now be installed using OVH's manager

makno
02-07-2009, 22:52
i did see that guide peter, but i was trying to install vmware server, anyway i managed it and now i can compile a kernel nearly blindfolded. I guess all the troubles had some meaning after all

Rahxie
30-06-2009, 01:24
I also had problems getting OpenVZ to work with an OVH OS install. I managed to get CentOS 5.3 installed by following some net install guide. No more problems after that.

PeterUK
24-06-2009, 02:07
Quote Originally Posted by makno
because i'm having issues installing virtualbox and/or vmware with the ovh one, and had no problem on my home pc using the default kernel
Wish someone would sticky the topic I made over a year ago. It details how to install VMWare working perfectly on OVH's Ubuntu Kernel.

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=933

makno
22-06-2009, 08:34
because i'm having issues installing virtualbox and/or vmware with the ovh one, and had no problem on my home pc using the default kernel

Ashley
22-06-2009, 01:09
just out of curiosity why do you need the default kernel so much?

makno
21-06-2009, 22:45
eh i can barely keep up with the cost of the server so more money is really not an option. All i need is ubuntu with the default kernel not the ovh one but i've been trying for 2 weeks to install a vanilla one from kernel.org without success.

DedicatedPros
21-06-2009, 12:14
vKVM over IP

makno
21-06-2009, 11:31
This is getting more and more frustrating. I tryed 3 times to install ubuntu desktop 9.04 using vKVM and the iso from an ftp and each time it gets to formatting the derive and installing the system boom goodbye vKVM, any suggestions?

makno
21-06-2009, 09:41
i had the same problem with the link. The problem is most of the mirrors have a link in the ftp folder to the file so you'll need to find a .iso hosted on a website or an ftp with the actual file in the folder not just the link. I did load the iso on a webspace that i have but it's u.s. located and the loading of the iso from here gets really slow. It would be nice if anyone can provide a link to the isos on an ovh server for other ovh users

nick
24-02-2009, 18:22
Just launching the installation again. The mini.iso mounts from FTP without any problems for Debian, from the Debian FTP servers. But when i try the netboot ISO for Ubuntu i just a red error message regarding cannot find file and failing to mount, any ideas?

DigitalDaz
24-02-2009, 17:10
Quote Originally Posted by nick
Sorry to bump up an oldish thread.

Iain i had a go, installed Debian Lenny using the mini ISO for internet install. All went smooth, set up root account and password, along with another user and password. But when i login to SSH using putty both my passwords are rejected?
Can you log on ok using vKVM?

nick
24-02-2009, 16:39
Sorry to bump up an oldish thread.

Iain i had a go, installed Debian Lenny using the mini ISO for internet install. All went smooth, set up root account and password, along with another user and password. But when i login to SSH using putty both my passwords are rejected?

DigitalDaz
18-01-2009, 21:46
I think you have a ZERO chance of installing any flavour of Windows using vKVM. I'm hoping someone will prove me wrong but I doubt it. I spent three days on it and just gave up eventually. I had a flawless unattend too, installed into a virtual machine no problem.

Jamsta
18-01-2009, 20:51
When my box arrives we shall be attempting to stick 2008 STD on our box with our SPLA agreement, however I havnt seen anything positive on it yet.

slayer2005
18-01-2009, 20:44
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
Having had very little success trying to install operating systems with vKVM mode in the past I was somewhat reluctant to try again but I'm glad I did! Installing Debian 'Etch-and-a-half' went flawlessly, it even automatically detected an Internet connection with no IP's or Gateway's to configure, and downloaded the latest packages during installation.

Admittedly the hard drive write speed is a lot slower than a standard installation from CD, although this could be due to reading the ISO in real time from the FTP server...who knows! Either way, it took a fair while, probably around an hour - but in my opinion it was well worth it.

A clean install, a stock kernel, GRUB boot loader instead of Lilo, no RTM monitoring software or pre-setup SSH keys and who knows what else.

If anyone would like me to post my steps in full I will, but it really is simple.

If you have two OVH servers, great, upload the Debian or whatever distro netboot ISO to one of your servers and serve it over anonymous ftp. Then point vKVM at the URL (using IP address) and it will boot.

Or, find out the IP address of an anonymous FTP server with the netboot ISO and give vKVM that. It will take a little longer than loading through the Internal OVH network but it should work fine.

One last thing, I found that going to Options in the java applet and selecting Encoding: zlib made the visual experience more responsive on the whole, this was for a text installation though, I don't think a GUI installer would be responsive.
Nice one m8
Do you think you can then load your own windows 2003 on or even xp?

IainK
18-01-2009, 19:28
Having had very little success trying to install operating systems with vKVM mode in the past I was somewhat reluctant to try again but I'm glad I did! Installing Debian 'Etch-and-a-half' went flawlessly, it even automatically detected an Internet connection with no IP's or Gateway's to configure, and downloaded the latest packages during installation.

Admittedly the hard drive write speed is a lot slower than a standard installation from CD, although this could be due to reading the ISO in real time from the FTP server...who knows! Either way, it took a fair while, probably around an hour - but in my opinion it was well worth it.

A clean install, a stock kernel, GRUB boot loader instead of Lilo, no RTM monitoring software or pre-setup SSH keys and who knows what else.

If anyone would like me to post my steps in full I will, but it really is simple.

If you have two OVH servers, great, upload the Debian or whatever distro netboot ISO to one of your servers and serve it over anonymous ftp. Then point vKVM at the URL (using IP address) and it will boot.

Or, find out the IP address of an anonymous FTP server with the netboot ISO and give vKVM that. It will take a little longer than loading through the Internal OVH network but it should work fine.

One last thing, I found that going to Options in the java applet and selecting Encoding: zlib made the visual experience more responsive on the whole, this was for a text installation though, I don't think a GUI installer would be responsive.