OVH Community, your new community space.

Mind if I ask, what do you use your servers for anyway?

Calon
31-01-2009, 17:45
Serving web content & hosting files that I'll need to access from other places.

*Mikee*
30-01-2009, 17:59
LMFAO --
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
Some of us were doing that 5/6 years ago and now like nothing better than to sit in front of the fire, with our favourite pair of slippers on, smoking our favourite pipe while reading Unix related books! while getting excited over OVH special offers!!!

rickyday
30-01-2009, 17:57
Quote Originally Posted by wackomoo
We can't do that every night.
Some of us were doing that 5/6 years ago and now like nothing better than to sit in front of the fire, with our favourite pair of slippers on, smoking our favourite pipe while reading Unix related books! while getting excited over OVH special offers!!!

wackomoo
30-01-2009, 11:51
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Real men don't use computers. They go to the pubs/clubs, get wrecked and have one night stands
We can't do that every night.

Andy
29-01-2009, 23:35
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
Real men use Slackware or FreeBSD
Real men don't use computers. They go to the pubs/clubs, get wrecked and have one night stands

rickyday
29-01-2009, 22:17
Real men use Slackware or FreeBSD

freshwire
29-01-2009, 22:11
For a server... debian.

For a home machine ... Ubuntu/LinuxMint

*Mikee*
27-01-2009, 20:37
I like centos
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
I think it depends on the type of Linux, Ubuntu is by far the easiest, I just works and the package manger means you can just install programs straight away.

Also it might be the interface which causes problems, some people prefer KDE which is more Windows like.

Neil
27-01-2009, 14:41
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
I have to admit linux does take a LOT of getting used to. But once you get used to it its awesome
I think it depends on the type of Linux, Ubuntu is by far the easiest, I just works and the package manger means you can just install programs straight away.

Also it might be the interface which causes problems, some people prefer KDE which is more Windows like.

fozl
27-01-2009, 12:56
I like linux myself, the versatility of it etc, it's like you can negotiate with a linux box. Not to mention I like the open source philosophy. Always alot more to learn with it too. I only use Windows (XP at that) for entertainment at home really.

slayer2005
26-01-2009, 23:58
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
I have to admit linux does take a LOT of getting used to. But once you get used to it its awesome
Agreed.

freshwire
26-01-2009, 19:48

Andy
26-01-2009, 18:46
Its always great to know you have an interest in your job hehe.

I love servers, but I hate Linux... I don't know why, I just find it an incompetent operating system that has so many distributions it doesn't want to decide what gender or sexuality it is!

Neil
26-01-2009, 18:37
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Do you have to pay for it or do you get it free because you work for OVH?

Its nice to see you are "one of us" too Neil and not just an OVH support techy
We get them for free but they for us to play we with really, otherwise we would not know how any of it works, even things like netboot and reinstalls.

And all of us OVH Support Techs have an interest in servers and Linux etc.. :-)

Andy
24-01-2009, 22:53
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
I have a Kimsufi that runs Plesk for my websites and an RPS which I use for Ubuntu Desktop and also to test Kernels and other Applications.
Do you have to pay for it or do you get it free because you work for OVH?

Its nice to see you are "one of us" too Neil and not just an OVH support techy

Neil
24-01-2009, 20:03
I have a Kimsufi that runs Plesk for my websites and an RPS which I use for Ubuntu Desktop and also to test Kernels and other Applications.

kopite
24-01-2009, 02:49
My server is used as a mail server and hosts a number of websites as well.

The server has been up and running now for about a year although I keep learning more.

Sites in my signature are both hosted on my box

Andy
23-01-2009, 22:37
Hosting my websites
DNS
Sometimes fast-access storage space

Thats about all.

slayer2005
23-01-2009, 18:15
I use mine because because because i just cant go with out 100mbit.

ScreenGoblin
23-01-2009, 16:54
I've got a few sites on my server, nothing massive really yet but hopefully headed that way.. you got trailerbox.com, screengoblin.com and bigdistraction.co.uk that are the main sites to look at if yur interested

SG

freshwire
23-01-2009, 15:11
Hosting a few of my own small websites.

Having a kick ass connection for uploading things fast.

Hosting a vps full of my friends websites etc... along with a custom control panel almost as nice as cpanel/plesk developed by yours truely

Don't tell anyone right... But I also use it for testing the speed of my internet

hashbangbinbash
23-01-2009, 14:21
Any websites or something worth havin a look at that live in ovh?