OVH Community, your new community space.

Using 2.6.27.10 Kernel

Palad1n
27-02-2009, 16:55
If you use Ubuntu Desktop 8.04 you can install VirtualBox OSE directly from APT and it works OK. Not tried it on Debian Server install. But I don't think comiling a Kernel on RPS is the way to go, a Kimsufi would be best as you can boot from HDD.

The European
26-02-2009, 12:49
I think the sources were available on the OVH ftp server in the past off ftp://ftp.ovh.net/made-in-ovh but I can't find them now

nick
25-02-2009, 19:47
I am just struggling to compile virtualbox, due to the lack of modules with OVH's kernel. I compiled my own kernel with modules but had the same problem as you.

Any idea how i can compile virtualbox on a standard Debian install with OVH kernel/config?

Palad1n
25-02-2009, 19:33
Tech Support said you can boot from the RPS SAN-HDD but it will take upto 15-20 mins to boot and will trigger an intervention.

They sort of insisted that they be booted via NetBoot.

I can now use the new Kernels on my RPS, but stick to the GRS ones for security.

nick
25-02-2009, 18:51
Sorry to dig it up but did this get solved as i am too trying to compile my own kernel and boot from that

Palad1n
03-02-2009, 19:51
Quote Originally Posted by The European
I'm having similar issues. Especially with regard to getting it to boot from netboot rather than it's own partition... can the RPS even netboot at all?

Unfortunately, I can't be much help; I've not got any further than you.
Hi,

Well as per usual, waited 3 days and got this response from OVH Support :

Dear Sir / Madam,

Unfortunately there is an undergoing issue with the rps' netboot. We are now waiting to be solved, I will let you know as soon as there will be any news on this matter.

Please note that netboot does not need any lilo or bootloader configuration as explained on the following link:
http://help.ovh.com/KernelNetboot

We do not recommend to boot the RPSs from the hard drive, as it takes too long (15 minutes) and that will need you to deactivate our monitoring.

Please do not hesitate to contact us, should you have any further queries.
So, the local config /etc/lilo.conf and /boot does nothing.

You MUST netboot the RPS, but this is broken, so no upgrading.

Come on OVH, Kernel upgrades & netbooting is Bread & Butter.

The European
03-02-2009, 15:55
I'm having similar issues. Especially with regard to getting it to boot from netboot rather than it's own partition... can the RPS even netboot at all?

Unfortunately, I can't be much help; I've not got any further than you.

Palad1n
28-01-2009, 19:53
Hi,

I have an RPS1 and am trying to get running on new OVH 2.6.27.10-xxxx-grs-ipv4-32 Kernel.

Have downloaded to /boot, along with System.Map

Added Entry to /etc/lilo.conf
Code:
        image=/boot/bzImage-2.6.27.10-xxxx-grs-ipv4-32
        label=OVH2
        read-only
        root=/dev/ram0
        initrd=/initrd-iscsi.img
        append="libusual.bias=ub"
Run /sbin/lilo

Get following Error :
Code:
# /sbin/lilo

Added OVH2 ? *
Warning: The initial RAM disk is too big to fit between the kernel and
   the 15M-16M memory hole.  It will be loaded in the highest memory as
   though the configuration file specified "large-memory" and it will
   be assumed that the BIOS supports memory moves above 16M.
Also setting this Kernel in Manager to NetBoot "DOES NOT" net boot correct Kernel, it still boots :

Code:
# uname -r
2.6.24.5-grsec-xxxx-grs-ipv4-32
So can anyone explain what is wrong?

Also I cannot install RTM onto my RPS1 :

Code:
# wget ftp://ftp.ovh.net/made-in-ovh/rtm/install_rtm.sh -O install_rtm.sh
# sh install_rtm.sh
No IP from OVH network !
Cheers

NIC: KD5755