OVH Community, your new community space.

installing USB harddrive on Ubuntu desktop

*Mikee*
30-01-2009, 17:49
I used WinSCP to edit the fstab file. All i done was open the file add what info's i needed to add then save.
Quote Originally Posted by tjm21
Hi mikee,

Thanks for the link, having a problem at step 6:

Edit /etc/fstab using command vi /etc/fstab, add the following line to the file:

/dev/sdc1 /media/usbdisk1 ext3 pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

when I bring this up in terminal it is read only so i am unable to add the line, then don't know how to save it.

I know this is probably very easy but i am having a nightmare.

cheers

Akd
30-01-2009, 15:54
Use su to open /etc/fstab as root .. e.g.
su (or sudo) vi /etc/fstab

I to toggle text entry and exit to leave it.
R if you want to "overwrite" text as you are typing.

Type : and then wq to save. (:wq = save and quit .. :q! = quit without saving)

If you are running via graphical desktop .. why not just use gedit? .. sudo gedit /etc/fstab

Regards

tjm21
30-01-2009, 15:29
Hi mikee,

Thanks for the link, having a problem at step 6:

Edit /etc/fstab using command vi /etc/fstab, add the following line to the file:

/dev/sdc1 /media/usbdisk1 ext3 pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

when I bring this up in terminal it is read only so i am unable to add the line, then don't know how to save it.

I know this is probably very easy but i am having a nightmare.

cheers

*Mikee*
30-01-2009, 12:25
Learn to use the "Search" Feature on the Forum -- Anyways go here and scroll down and you will get a guide in this thread

http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.ph...&highlight=usb

tjm21
30-01-2009, 00:59
Hi,

Total novice here with Linux. I have a Kimsufi dedicated server running Ubuntu Desktop. I managed to get it all setup ok but ran out of space so order a USB harddrive which is now installed and showing as "Elements" in the file manager, problem is I dont know how to mount the drive so I am able to access it from my admin user account. Can anyone help or point me in the direction of a step by step guide online.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers