We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

RPS ISCSI Speeds

Neil
03-02-2009, 12:54
Quote Originally Posted by d|nA
Hi,

i started using my RPS 1 package 2 days ago, and i'm pretty happy with it, price/quality wise. I use it primarily as a backup for a dedicated server i have (not OVH), and i transfer huge mysql db's logs and files a couple of times everyday.

When i download from the RPS i hit speeds as high as 7mb/s, the 7 mb/s download is never constant, it fluctuates between 1mb/s and 6~7mb/s. When i am uploading from the RPS i hit 2~4mb/s max.

When i was checking the RPS system while i was uploading to my dedicated server i noticed the I/O wait on the RPS server always stays in the 80% ~ 90% rate (ex: Cpu(s): 5.0%us, 2.3%sy, 0.0%ni, 0.0%id, 94.7%wa, 0.7%hi, 2.0%si, 0.0%st)

I was wondering if this is normal for ISCSI disks as i never used this kind of setup before, i would seem the ISCSI disk is a terrible bottleneck when doing a lot of I/O operations?
How often did you check the Input/Output, the main thing is that the drives are shared so there could be a customer or 2 maybe using the their RPS Intensively for a short period of time. We do our best to keep an eye on the SAN's to make sure that they do not get over stretched.

Palad1n
02-02-2009, 12:33
I too have noticed that on my RPS1.

I use mine to serve static .gif / .jpg and some .pdf downloads to take the strain of my main server.

I have started using NGINX as a web server with a ram-drive as the source.

A script creates the ramdrive, copies files to it, sets permissions, waits 30 seconds then starts NGINX.

It has removed the bottleneck and files sit in memory.

But the max I can push in and out of the server this way is around 80mb.
Using Apache/Lighttpd on disk was about 50mb due to the reads/writes.

Also turning off logging helps with writes to disk!

But in your description above are you flatfile copying? or MySQL replication?

If flatfile, can you compress at source into split files say 25mb each etc. then upload but put a 5 second wait in before sending next file to allow for commit write to finish.

Just a thought.

d|nA
31-01-2009, 20:42
Hi,

i started using my RPS 1 package 2 days ago, and i'm pretty happy with it, price/quality wise. I use it primarily as a backup for a dedicated server i have (not OVH), and i transfer huge mysql db's logs and files a couple of times everyday.

When i download from the RPS i hit speeds as high as 7mb/s, the 7 mb/s download is never constant, it fluctuates between 1mb/s and 6~7mb/s. When i am uploading from the RPS i hit 2~4mb/s max.

When i was checking the RPS system while i was uploading to my dedicated server i noticed the I/O wait on the RPS server always stays in the 80% ~ 90% rate (ex: Cpu(s): 5.0%us, 2.3%sy, 0.0%ni, 0.0%id, 94.7%wa, 0.7%hi, 2.0%si, 0.0%st)

I was wondering if this is normal for ISCSI disks as i never used this kind of setup before, i would seem the ISCSI disk is a terrible bottleneck when doing a lot of I/O operations?