OVH Community, your new community space.

*IMPORTANT* Windows Update Breaks RDC in Server X64 STD

rickyday
02-02-2009, 22:02
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
Try NetSupport, its much more powerful and its super quick. Its like having the PC in front of you.
Thanks for the recommendation Andy i will give it a go

For all other folks, the .NET Framwork Update is 100% the problem, every other update installed apart from that and working fine.

So annoying tho, that a MS Update can break something some major.

Andy
02-02-2009, 21:53
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
Me too thats what SSH is for

Still not sure what damn update has mucked up my RDC, its defintely something to do with this crappy .NET 3.5 SP tho

PS Andy I find MS RDC much faster than VNC, even if it does have less features
Try NetSupport, its much more powerful and its super quick. Its like having the PC in front of you.

rickyday
02-02-2009, 21:52
Quote Originally Posted by Andy
I always make sure I have at least 2 methods of getting access to my server should one method fail. Its the trait of a good admin
Me too thats what SSH is for EDIT Opps misread, so you will have 3 possible ways when all are working?

Still not sure what damn update has mucked up my RDC, its defintely something to do with this crappy .NET 3.5 SP tho

PS Andy I find MS RDC much faster than VNC, even if it does have less features

Andy
02-02-2009, 21:41
Or, do what smart people do and don't use the built in Windows RDC that is susceptible to MS's crappy programming and updates and use VNC/NetSupport/Other RDC

I always make sure I have at least 2 methods of getting access to my server should one method fail. Its the trait of a good admin

rickyday
02-02-2009, 21:33
Ive installed Server 2003 STD R2 at home as well as having a OVH server also with it installed.

Now the one at home i installed EVERY Windows Update and when all patched and rebooted I tried to Remote Desktop Connect in, wouldnt work! Broke

I could still connect to my OVH server and a few days earlier had set the automatic update to just inform me of updates but not download or install them. This turned out to be the best decision I had ever made as the one and only remaining update on my OVH server was/is the culprit.

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.5 Family Update (KB951847) Also please note when installed .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 also has hotfixes KB958484 & KB953595

My advice is do not install this update/s at the moment, otherwise you may lose the option to use RDC to your server. Best thing is to just uninstall .NET 3.5 SP1 at the moment.

Lots of people having the same problem and if you have had problems with your Windows Server and suddenly losing the ability to RDC into it, then this thread is for you

Im sure this will also help OVH and possible calls relating to Windows Servers and customers using Remote Desktop Connection.

(PS I would be interested to hear if any users of STANDARD X64 Server 2003 have installed the update with no problems? and I would also be interested to see if this update breaks WEB Edition as well)