We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Dedicated Servers Problems

nesh
08-04-2008, 00:50
ok this is much more better info now,i realy appriciated guys i didnt know that the both download and upload speed are combined...but still my oppinion is that the speed is not wat it should be and its changes all the time,this is niot right to do on the base that you pay for wat is written on the ovh sit,i payed for server of 1gbps do you have an idea what speed is that?but anyway this is not written that thay can not support it,so you can make up your mind.just guys pls write what the trouth is...

regards

oles@ovh.net
07-04-2008, 23:46
IainK a écrit:
>
> It's very rare to see guaranteed download speed on a dedicated server.
> Most providers give you "a 100mbit line" which generally describes the
> upload speed, downloads are usually shared between all servers on the

I garantee 100Mbps upload/download. It's the SLA mode. But are you able
to make 100Mbps upload/download ? I have 30'000 dedicated servers on my
network and I can tell you that it's not easy.

Andy
07-04-2008, 18:33
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
I would expect to receive 100mbit uploads, and as for download speed anything >10mbit is deffinitely fine in my books.

To receive 100mbit download speed is very unique in the UK market, especially at OVH's prices
I hope i'm happy with the speeds when my server is ordered.
I have received 100Mbps upload speeds to a single person in Sweden. They are on a 100Mbps down and 10Mbps up connection and they managed 100Mbps from my server no problem (with 10 connections).

IainK
07-04-2008, 18:31
I would expect to receive 100mbit uploads, and as for download speed anything >10mbit is deffinitely fine in my books.

To receive 100mbit download speed is very unique in the UK market, especially at OVH's prices
I hope i'm happy with the speeds when my server is ordered.

Andy
07-04-2008, 18:23
Quote Originally Posted by IainK
It's very rare to see guaranteed download speed on a dedicated server.
Most providers give you "a 100mbit line" which generally describes the upload speed, downloads are usually shared between all servers on the network and are never, usually, guaranteed.

Anyway ten mbit download is fine, why would you need more?

Also besides a corrupted/badly editted registry or spyware/adware/viruses, I don't think misconfiguration would cause speed problems on Windows server.
Lack of RAM might however.
OVH supplies a 100Mbps line. You expect to get 100Mbps. I certainly do, on a daily basis sometimes. If you pay for a 100Mbps line, you expect to be able to get close to it so I think anyone who doesn't has every right to complain...

HOWEVER... because some people are not as technically minded as others they don't seem to understand that:-
1. Speedtests are NOT a method of testing speed, they are a rough guide.
2. Downloading a file from a SINGLE SOURCE is NOT a method of testing speed, again it is a rough guide.
3. You will 99 times out of 100 never be able to utilise 100Mbps of bandwidth with a SINGLE CONNECTION.

So how do you test speed? :-
1. Find a reputable source for high speeds. Microsoft for example.
2. Find a huge file to download.
3. Download it but use several connections at once with a download manager.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 a few times and see what the fastest speed you can get is.

This only tests download speed however. Upload is more difficult. This can generally only be tested out in the field when you start actually hosting and distributing your content.

Also bear in mind that OVH only supplies a 100Mbps/1Gbps SIMPLEX connection. This means that if you have 100Mbps, your total bandwidth in and out is 100Mbps. That means for example, 80Mbps out, 20 Mbps in. Other data centers will offer DUPLEX at a much higher price since its double the potential bandwidth.

IainK
07-04-2008, 18:12
It's very rare to see guaranteed download speed on a dedicated server.
Most providers give you "a 100mbit line" which generally describes the upload speed, downloads are usually shared between all servers on the network and are never, usually, guaranteed.

Anyway ten mbit download is fine, why would you need more?
I've had servers that never pulled more than 1-2mbit download rate, on a good day, but if uploads are fine at least anyone accessing sites etc can do so.

Also besides a corrupted/badly editted registry or spyware/adware/viruses, I don't think misconfiguration would cause speed problems on Windows server.
Lack of RAM might however.

nesh
07-04-2008, 14:43
like what?

nesh
07-04-2008, 14:24
yeah only the last on is good but i never see it ...only ones and post it...the rest is all the time like 5-6 mbps download speed so....

Andy
07-04-2008, 09:37
Quote Originally Posted by nesh
one more here....http://www.speedtest.net/result/256087766.png who can explain this...how is possible such a big diffrents...this one i never see it after that ...never..only ones..

thats what i need...
Those speeds are fine and are showing maximum capabilities of your server. It means the server is fine and the download/upload sources you are using are at fault.

nesh
07-04-2008, 02:00
one more here....http://www.speedtest.net/result/256087766.png who can explain this...how is possible such a big diffrents...this one i never see it after that ...never..only ones..

thats what i need...

nesh
07-04-2008, 01:53
here is the last test i did,

http://www.speedtest.net/result/256086674.png

still should be more download speed,the up is ok for me and seams logical cous its outside the network

please fix my download speed....

Bruno
07-04-2008, 01:50
It's a problem with Windows configuration...

nesh
07-04-2008, 01:45
yes i know about speedtest.net there i try all the time my speed but as i said i cant get more then 6mbps down and 50-60mbps up max at 1gbps connection...so....dont know what to say,the download is too slow..i never see isp providers with more up then down speed...dont know nut will think deap before i have to purshase 2nd month

ps.i dont need to just have it one time,mean good speed , it should be all the time the same good speed for that kind of money....

Andy
06-04-2008, 22:25
It may have been so slow because lots of people on the forum might be trying the same test at the same time.

Another way to test is to find a nice big file on the Microsoft website. They have huge amounts of bandwidth. Select a few big files and download them simultaneously. This will give you a better indication of download speed.

Upload however is harder. You could try www.speedtest.net and click the "Roubaix" triange. I manage to get about 40Mbps down and 70Mbps up on my 100Mbps server.

Just a few suggestions.

nesh
06-04-2008, 22:16
you gave me a file to download in the other tread of me...so i did it and the speed was 2mbps ):

and guys you better build your things like thay are in general then...like all the network in the world,we use all the same things...

Bruno
06-04-2008, 16:13
Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net
you have RAID-1 hard.

> inside the
> network even wors 2mbps download

you are working on Windows. change to Linux.
I know it's boring with Windows but Ovh isn't supposed to give a software and hardware support with Windows ? Like it is written in the contrat..

Any product support for the SOFTWARE PRODUCTS is provided to you by OVH and is not
provided by Microsoft or its affiliates or subsidiaries.
http://www.ovh.co.uk/customerspace/t...T_SOFTWARE.pdf

oles@ovh.net
06-04-2008, 13:18
nesh a écrit:
>
> yes,i dont want linux what a silly propasition...i have not bad upload
> speed 60 000kbps but the download is dissaster 60000kbps instad of
> 1mbps...ok outside the network should be atleast 50-70 mbps

it's not the problem on our side. there is no limit. but the rest
of the Internet is not built like our network is.

nesh
06-04-2008, 13:02
yes,i dont want linux what a silly propasition...i have not bad upload speed 60 000kbps but the download is dissaster 6000kbps instad of 1mbps...ok outside the network should be atleast 50-70 mbps

set it up good pls its expensive

Andy
06-04-2008, 11:26
> inside the

I'm sorry but that just made me laugh so hard...

Windows vs Linux should not affect speed. Oles, even YOU should know that. Again, just lol...

oles@ovh.net
06-04-2008, 10:30
> ns2014798.ovh.net
> should be at 1gbps,i get outside the network no more then 6mbps down
> and 20mbps up

You are making 70Mbps as you can see it on your MRTG in manager:
http://demo21.ovh.com/40a51eee29bc09...4c8080a2dec1P/

> plus dont have 2-250gb hd,its only one 250gb,

you have RAID-1 hard.

> inside the

> ks34939.kimsufi.com
> that one is ...no words...no comment ):

http://demo21.ovh.com/61acb6a808cbe0...265bd62deed0P/
40Mbps

> camone people please fix my things

there is no problem, no thing to fix.

nesh
06-04-2008, 04:25
Hi,

i have purshase 2 servers one to try out and other biger one..

well i am far away from what i expect it,internet connection is not the one should be

ns2014798.ovh.net
should be at 1gbps,i get outside the network no more then 6mbps down and 20mbps up plus dont have 2-250gb hd,its only one 250gb,inside the network even wors 2mbps download

ks34939.kimsufi.com
that one is ...no words...no comment ):

camone people please fix my things

regards