OVH Community, your new community space.

Thumbs up

Andy
17-02-2009, 13:14
Quote Originally Posted by makno
ok now i get it, thank you very much
Great

makno
17-02-2009, 13:13
ok now i get it, thank you very much

Andy
17-02-2009, 11:05
So for example i checked now and i got this image:

My limit should be 10Mbit but on the other hand most the users that have been online tonight are europeans. What am i still getting wrong?
OK you still don't get it.

The orange bar is the AVERAGE of your total bandwidth usage minus the top 5% of peaks. Its not your "limit". All it does is show the average. When that average hits 8,10,12Mbps, depending on your limit, then you will be "limited" to that speed on transit. Its entirely possible for peering to still hit 100Mbps and that orange bar to go over the 8,10,12Mbps threshold.

If all you're doing is running a few game servers, you're never going to hit that limit so don't worry about it.

makno
17-02-2009, 01:05
So for example i checked now and i got this image:

My limit should be 10Mbit but on the other hand most the users that have been online tonight are europeans. What am i still getting wrong?

makno
17-02-2009, 01:00
eh not so easy to set up limitation on iproviders specially if you have no clue what every single provider is doing but anyway for gameserver the bw needed in not too bad

Andy
16-02-2009, 23:11
well unfortunally i don't have ways to know if the traffic is going to be peering or transit have i? Anyway thanks for the explaination and sorry for having troubled you, just wanted to get things clear before ending in a mess, much appreciate your help andy and monkey
Rule of thumb is:

Europe = Peering
Rest of the world = Transit

But it all depends on the individual ISP's connections too. For example Virgin Media in the UK prefer to use DTAG (German transit link) rather than LINX (peering).

makno
16-02-2009, 17:40
well unfortunally i don't have ways to know if the traffic is going to be peering or transit have i? Anyway thanks for the explaination and sorry for having troubled you, just wanted to get things clear before ending in a mess, much appreciate your help andy and monkey

Andy
16-02-2009, 09:27
Quote Originally Posted by monkey56657
During this time you could no longer burst to 100mbps.
To be clear you can no longer burst on transit in most cases only, peering remains at 100Mbps, depending on the bandwidth package you choose. Its all described in the regime...

freshwire
16-02-2009, 02:42
The average bandwidth in use is logged every 5 ish minutes.

The logs for the last 30 days are taken and the highest 5% of the values are discarded leaving the remaining 95%.

The highest of the remaining values is taken as your 95 percentile.

The bandwidth graph showing 200k is saying that for the last 30 days your 95 percentile was 200k. This is way below the 8/10/12 limit.

If you were to have a 95th percentile above 8|10|12mbps (depending on your server) you server will then be limited to the 8|10|12mbps until the data is recalculated. During this time you could no longer burst to 100mbps.

I believe the system re-calculates this every day for the previous 30 days.

Regards, Jonathan.

Andy
15-02-2009, 23:12
again, the bandwidth regime post is a complete mess and doesn't explain anything clearly. I have a kimsufy burstable and it clearly says that i have 100Mbit connection unless it gets dropped down to 10Mbit if i exceed the limits. Now the problem is if the limit is 95percentile why is my 95th percentile bar on the daily graph marked at 200k? Hope this makes it clear cause after reading the 10 pages of the bandwith post over and over i still can't make out what is sayd in there and i guess with me most of the other people who still asked questions which were never answered. Now i'm not taking this on anyone in here but can anyone of you who seems to have understood this matter perfectly explain how it works in a dumb proof way?
You obviously don't read, because its there in plain writing and has been since the beginning.

Bandwidth allowance is based on 95th percentile

If the bandwidth average exceeds 8Mbps (minus the top 5% of "peaks" in bandwidth):
…OVH > Internet (Peering) speed will remain at 100Mbps.
…OVH > Internet (Transit) speed will be dropped to 8Mbps.
Bandwidth priority: Low

95th percentile is calculated daily and adjusted accordingly
It tells you its based on the 95th percentile, your 95th percentile limit on this example is 8Mbps (in red). While it may not be 8Mbps for your server (it could be 8, 10 or 12) it states the drop limit on the Kimsufi server page.

Understand now?

makno
15-02-2009, 23:04
again, the bandwidth regime post is a complete mess and doesn't explain anything clearly. I have a kimsufy burstable and it clearly says that i have 100Mbit connection unless it gets dropped down to 10Mbit if i exceed the limits. Now the problem is if the limit is 95percentile why is my 95th percentile bar on the daily graph marked at 200k? Hope this makes it clear cause after reading the 10 pages of the bandwith post over and over i still can't make out what is sayd in there and i guess with me most of the other people who still asked questions which were never answered. Now i'm not taking this on anyone in here but can anyone of you who seems to have understood this matter perfectly explain how it works in a dumb proof way?

Andy
15-02-2009, 22:37
The actual limit is either 8, 10, 12 or 15Mbps, depending on the server you have. If its not a Kimsufi or RPS then there is no limit unless you're on Burstable or Traffic series, and traffic series doesn't have a 95th percentile. Its all explained in the bandwidth regime post...

makno
15-02-2009, 18:11
ok but what is the actual limit that will get my bandwidth limited than?

makno
15-02-2009, 18:11
ok but what is the actual limit that will get my bandwidth restricted than?

wackomoo
15-02-2009, 17:05
Why is it strange? The 95th line in the graph will show what you're currently using.

makno
15-02-2009, 14:08
well it doesn't have much sense than, if i'm allowed 100Mbit and the 95th percentile shows at 0.2mbit kind of strange.
I realized i miscalculated but it was 6 am and had to get some sleep

wackomoo
15-02-2009, 10:47
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burstab...5th_Percentile

Basically, cut the 5% highest peaks and that is where your 95th avg is.

For the record: 200kbit is 0.2mbit -- not 25mbit.
Even if you meant 200KByte/s, that only adds up to less than 2mbit.

makno
15-02-2009, 06:05
sorry to be a pain guys but i've been reading the andwidth guide and still not making much sense out of it. mostly because i checked my graphs today and i see an orange line at about 120kbit were the peak is at 200kbit. Now 200kbit is somewere around 25Mbit which is far away from the 100Mbit limit. Also in the guide i keep seeing 95percentile but of what? Is it 95% of 100Mbit? Maybe it's me not understanding english anymore but i think a guide shouldn't be that cryptic. Hope someone can answer these questions.

makno
04-02-2009, 22:29
I'll have a look into ufw but maybe i'll try first on my home box just to avoid having to reinstall the os. I doubt that the 100Mbit will be filled, spike was at 1Mbit with nearly full server so should be good. That if i understood the bandwith usage policy as to me is still not clear at all.

freshwire
04-02-2009, 19:18
Most firewalls should allow you to filter ports by IP addresses.

I know this is fairly simple in ufw. Iptables should allow this functionality also.

For a gaming server I think kimsufi is fine as long as your bandwidth doesn't get limited to non-burstable. In any case 99% of any lag would come from players unless your server is heavily overloaded. However if you do find their is too much lag ovh servers would (theoretically) offer lower latency but not much difference really.

makno
04-02-2009, 17:40
Hi everyone, i'm posting to praise ovh/kimsufi.
Ordered the server on monday evening and was dispatched yesterday (25h later) even if there was no 24h availability.
I had previous experience with linux so decided to go for ubuntu as i need the dedicated machine to run a couple of game servers. My question is if anyone here would suggest ovh or kimsufi for better latency. I'm currently using a kimsufi xl burstable for testing but considering upgrading to a better box next month. Another problem is that i never configured a firewall and was wondering if it's possible to allow ssh connection only from a set of ips. Anyone?