OVH Community, your new community space.

changing reverse dns

Tevez
07-04-2008, 17:15
Thanks sledge & Andy

Andy
07-04-2008, 11:05
Some servers (very few I might add) ignore rDNS lookups and will deliver it anyway, however most do so it is very important to set it properly.

sledge0303
07-04-2008, 10:19
Peoples should learn how to find propper setup for reverse DNS resolution.
In case name of your domain is 'mydomain-test.co.uk'. Your reverse should look like the same. Possible: 'mail.mydomain-test.co.uk' or exactly 'mydomain-test.co.uk'. You can't add random text or whatever sounds good to you
In case you take 'i-love-flowers.co.uk' instead 'mydomain-test.co.uk'. You try to sent mail to my domain --> result is: your mail will never ever arrive at my servers because IP's resolution is 'mydomain-test.co.uk' and your server will answer by reverse solution with 't-love-flowers.co.uk' what definately doesn't match...
I hope you understand what I intend to explain you

Andy
06-04-2008, 18:09
Quote Originally Posted by Tevez
Oh,i thought random text would work,too...
The point of a rDNS is so the IP points to your domain and the domain points to your IP so e-mail servers can verify its not spoofed.

Tevez
06-04-2008, 15:56
Oh,i thought random text would work,too...

Andy
06-04-2008, 15:35
You can do it through the manager. Often you will put your domain name as the reverse dns. Some people put "servername.domain.com" as their rDNS to identify it.

As for me I put "roubaix.domain.co.uk" as my rDNS.

Tevez
06-04-2008, 15:19
Hello
i didnt really understand what do i need to do if i want to change my reverse DNS and wanted to ask if i can enter any text...A guide would be appreciated.