OVH Community, your new community space.

RPS: evolution on RPS1

The European
26-02-2009, 01:03
Quote Originally Posted by wackomoo
For audio encoding, yeah? It's up to par (or nearly so) on everything else (partially based on toms' and partially on what I've heard from other sources, but I can't recall any link.)
I wouldn't call it 'up to par'.

The single core Atom is decidedly below par on pretty much everything compared to the Celeron 220 except power consumption and that isn't something that effects us (customers) directly unless OVH are thinking of cutting the price of the RPS 1 to reflect lower performance / lower power & heat dissipation costs.

As it happens, I value a LAME benchmark quite highly as, aside from kernel compiling benchmarks it gives one of the best indications of the pure 'grunt' of a server as opposed to what it can do with clever management of memory, caching and threads.

wackomoo
25-02-2009, 23:39
For audio encoding, yeah? It's up to par (or nearly so) on everything else (partially based on toms' and partially on what I've heard from other sources, but I can't recall any link.)

The European
25-02-2009, 21:58
Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net
Hello, In the week, the hardware of the RPS1 will change. In the place of Celeron, we will offer the ATOM 1. Thus the range will be more homogeneous and more distinct from the range of dedicated servers. Already placed orders before the change in the range will be honoured using the current configuration.

Kind regards
Octave
Interesting.

I'm a bit concerned too; the Celeron 220s on the current RPS1 benchmark a hell of a lot better than even the Atom 230 so in effect this would mean a serious performance cut on RPS1.

Looking at Tom's Hardware, they had the Celeron 220 completing tasks nearly twice as fast as the Atom 230.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...t,1981-15.html

wackomoo
25-02-2009, 21:04
Nice to hear!

oles@ovh.net
25-02-2009, 19:38
Hello,

The hardware of the RPS1 will change this week. Instead of Celeron, we are going to offer ATOM 1. The range will be more uniformed and more distinct from the dedicated servers range.

The orders placed before the range change will receive the RPS with the current configuration.

Regards,

Octave