OVH Community, your new community space.

USB hard drive

dave99
01-03-2009, 15:30
well eventually the disc showed up, but not until friday afternoon. 27th feb.

funny how it didnt show up when it was 'fitted' on the 25th ! ?
Thanks to all who replied though , appreciated

re-installing OS due to problems mounting the drive but not completed at time of writing, will follow up when its up and running
regards
dave

dragon2611
28-02-2009, 15:41
Hmm I hope I didn't accidently cancel the intervention, I had one raised just after a re-image failed and assumed it was down to that.

I have an order outstanding for a usb disk since this morning
Annoyingly it's preventing me ordering a couple extra ip's for my kimsufi.

I was suprised that ovh manager didn't seem to give an option to order this stuff as an option with the server but rather you seem to have to do it as idervidiual orders.

Neil
27-02-2009, 08:51
Hi

What is the server address or the order number of the USB Drive, I will check to make sure it has been added.

dave99
27-02-2009, 00:50
Hi Monkey56657

yes, i rebooted via manager . i did a reboot as opposed to a netboot. via OVH manager > Services > Maintenance > ReBoot. and got the email back telling me You have requested a remote hardware reboot for your server you may connect to your server now

It seems im waiting on an email from the datacentre to say an 'intervention' is going to take place................ but its been a long wait.

freshwire
27-02-2009, 00:20
You have rebooted the server since right ?

You have to do this for some bios flip switch jiggery pokery to take place

dave99
26-02-2009, 19:40
Thanks silas

Unfortunately , when i use any of the following;
fdisk -l
sfdisk -l
sudo fdisk -l
sudo sfdisk -l

all it shows me is
/dev/sda1
/dev/sda2
/dev/sda3

/dev/sda4 empty
sda1, 2 and 3 has other detail which is all correct and normal

and the correct details for the partitions on the main drive. this suggests to me means that no external device is recognised.

With the bombardment of emails and tickets its hard to tell what the current state of affairs is.
i get some emails marked as 4 hours out of sync mixed with others that are correct time. so at the moment i dont know if i'm Arthur,Martha or the Vandellas
My latest says i will get an email from the data centre to let me know of 'intervention' and when 'intervention' is completed.Presume the 'intervention' means plugging a usb disc in ?
so far its took 30 hours from purchase and paymen/invoice to get to this point.
Someone who is very knowledgable with Linux/ubuntu is helping me as well, and he's baffled where the drive is at the moment !

Would/could anyone who has got an external usb disc say how long it took them to get it up and running after ordering it please ?

Or how quickly does tech support act on problems
regards
Dave99

EDIT
no wonder things are getting confusing !!
Ive just got an email at 21.00 on 26th feb telling me that an incident ticket has just been started . this is timed at 11.35 on 26th feb !!!! so i got it some 9.5 hours later
Worse than that, the incident ticket has been responded to 3 times by me and 2 times by OVH already during the coarse of the day...................and the usb drive still doesnt show up .

silas
26-02-2009, 01:10
Well if you're using unix (ubuntu gentoo debian) then run the command in ssh

Code:
fdisk -l
Should show something similar to this:

Code:
Disk /dev/sda: 250.0 GB, 250059350016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 30401 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x000b71cf

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *           1       29126   233954563+  83  Linux
/dev/sda2           29127       30401    10241437+  82  Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 640.1 GB, 640135028736 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 77825 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xacdd9b22

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
/dev/sdb1               1       77825   625129281    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/sda = internal
/dev/sdb = external

to mount the external run the command
Code:
sudo mkdir /where/you/want/your/external/to/point/to
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /where/you/want/your/external/to/point/to
then it should be mounted

to test it's working run the command
Code:
nano /where/you/want/your/external/to/point/to/test.ovh
then type test or something then ctrl + o
Code:
cd /where/you/want/your/external/to/point/to
dir
if you see test.ovh then it's successful

Note: /where/you/want/your/external/to/point/to is where you want your external drives directory to be placed
if you want it to be in your web root then maybe /var/www/external or /opt/lampp/htdocs/external or maybe /home/user/external

dave99
25-02-2009, 22:55
Where in OVHmanager will it confirm if a USB hdd has been fitted to the server ?
I ordered today, got all the e-mails confirming the intervention was complete but cant find the drive.
The only thing i can find is if i go to order a usb hdd , it tells me i already have One and can only go upto Three more
Thanks in advance
Dave