We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

Changing RAID configuration through the OVH Manager


IainK
14-03-2010, 03:47
On windows server you should create a raid-0 array with the entire disc and make that C:

There are no 'mount points' in Windows rather drive letters such as C: D: E: etc.

floorguy
13-03-2010, 10:59
hi i'm a little stuck wonder if any1 can help
right i'm using win2008r2-web-plesk9 os you say when -and from the dropdown list choose 'RAID Software'. - i get no drop down list
then it wont let me use 20,000MB as the 1st partition
also gives me no option of mount points
please help i'm at a loss :s

Loke
04-12-2009, 18:23
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Hi Loke

Your server is SoftRaid so it needs/ideally to be done through the OVH Manager, your root partition must be RAID 1, however the rest can be RAID 0.

What you can do is use the OVH Manager to format the first disk only and then partition the others afterwards.
thx neil didn't consider that option. If i try it like that will i be able to make a raid 10 server? make 2x2.5TB raid 0 and then make the 1 mirror the other.

edit: i am pretty much sure i won't so i guess i ll stay with ubuntu and raid 5.

Neil
04-12-2009, 10:27
Hi Loke

Your server is SoftRaid so it needs/ideally to be done through the OVH Manager, your root partition must be RAID 1, however the rest can be RAID 0.

What you can do is use the OVH Manager to format the first disk only and then partition the others afterwards.

Loke
03-12-2009, 22:46
with the tw_cli ? didn't seem to work.

Btw seems found another ovh, freebsd related problem. The manager doesn't allow anything except raid 1 and it makes all other hd's mirroring the 1st.

Tried ubuntu and i managed ( well not really i but anyway ) to make a raid 5. I think i ll leave it like that :/ .

Andy
03-12-2009, 19:36
You have to do it through netboot in the text-based management.

Loke
03-12-2009, 19:35
ok i gave it a try ( my knowledge about this stuff is well .... )

got a storage server so that means 4 x 1.5 TB, i could choose only raid 1 ( wasn't possible to modify the raid type ) and it only showed me 1 hd. Made 3 partitions
--> / 20GB
--> swap 4GB
--> /home rest

how do i go about modifying the raid for the other 3 ? cause i am pretty sure now the other 3 are mirroring the 1st one. ( i would like it to have 2 disks active and the other 2 mirroring them )

antdgar
01-09-2009, 19:10
edit: fixed my issue. Manager makes it look like raid1, but once installed it is truly raid0

RikT
03-06-2009, 15:18
Quote Originally Posted by derchris
Yep, a post like yours.
There is not a single word mentioning SP range.
This was supposed to be a general Guide.
Well i would of thought that it was blindingly obvious what servers he was talking about there is only one range with soft Raid options

Seedbox Paradis
03-06-2009, 08:47
Quote Originally Posted by derchris
Yep, a post like yours.
There is not a single word mentioning SP range.
This was supposed to be a general Guide.
If the RAID change option I described doesn't show up in the manager for you, than this post doesn't apply to you, only to the servers that have the capability of softraid.

derchris
02-06-2009, 15:34
Quote Originally Posted by RikT
he isnt talking about he EG range and above he is talking about the SP range where you have this option in your manager so hmmm who needs to read up maybe someone should check the facts before they make a post thats gonna make them look stupid
Yep, a post like yours.
There is not a single word mentioning SP range.
This was supposed to be a general Guide.

RikT
02-06-2009, 15:18
Quote Originally Posted by derchris
Maybe you should read up on Hardware vs. Software RAID
he isnt talking about he EG range and above he is talking about the SP range where you have this option in your manager so hmmm who needs to read up maybe someone should check the facts before they make a post thats gonna make them look stupid

Seedbox Paradis
01-06-2009, 08:28
No, I mean, what's your problem with my method for changing RAID, seeing as this is rather easy for the average new user that wants to use that extra space

derchris
01-06-2009, 01:43
Maybe you should read up on Hardware vs. Software RAID

Seedbox Paradis
31-05-2009, 13:24
Quote Originally Posted by derchris
Didn't know this was sticky.

There is a reason why some use SSH, because it is a Hardware RAID.
and you can only change the RAID setup from the RAID config tool.
With this, you take out the Hardware RAID, and convert it to a Software RAID.
And your problem with this method is??

derchris
31-05-2009, 12:39
Didn't know this was sticky.

There is a reason why some use SSH, because it is a Hardware RAID.
and you can only change the RAID setup from the RAID config tool.
With this, you take out the Hardware RAID, and convert it to a Software RAID.

ezdub
31-05-2009, 11:08
Previous problem sorted.

Just to update those using plesk make sure that you use /var instead of /home.

Seedbox Paradis
05-05-2009, 07:55
Quote Originally Posted by Kitty
It's also perhaps because of the way sizes are counted on HDDs

Most manufacturers seem to use 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes but the OS will use 1GB = 1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 1,074,790,400 bytes

And 250,000,000,000 / 1,074,790,400 = 232.6
That's what I was going for :P To me that's pure BS, but I guess they do get away with it

Kitty
05-05-2009, 00:41
when you get a 250GB hard drive you can only use like 230GB
It's also perhaps because of the way sizes are counted on HDDs

Most manufacturers seem to use 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes but the OS will use 1GB = 1024 x 1024 x 1024 = 1,074,790,400 bytes

And 250,000,000,000 / 1,074,790,400 = 232.6

Andy
28-04-2009, 11:23
Its because the file system uses some of this space. Nothing to do with the HD's themselves. Different file systems use different amounts. NTFS is awful when it comes to file system space usage.

Seedbox Paradis
28-04-2009, 07:27
Quote Originally Posted by scoony
So u've got 6tb u can use fully ??
It all depends on the amount of drives and usually you don't end up getting all the space due to whatever technical reason (ie. when you get a 250GB hard drive you can only use like 230GB). Nothing to do with OVH in case you get freaked out, just the way HDDs are made.

Seedbox Paradis
28-04-2009, 07:25
Quote Originally Posted by gueriLLaPunkMoB
This also works for Windows installation? Or would you have to install Linux first and then Windows?
I believe this should work for Windows as well, this isn't a Linux based config but rather a server based one so if you've got soft RAID 0/1 on your server you can mix them up

gueriLLaPunkMoB
27-04-2009, 21:56
This also works for Windows installation? Or would you have to install Linux first and then Windows?

scoony
26-03-2009, 22:11
So u've got 6tb u can use fully ??

Seedbox Paradis
02-03-2009, 20:04
Ok I noticed a lot of people are changing their RAID setup via SSH, but there is actually quite an easy way to do this via the OVH Manager which will take you no more than a minute or two. I got this idea from another post on this forum but seeing as it was rather abandoned and did not go into detail too much, I decided to rewrite it with details and screen shots

1. Login to the OVH Manager, choose the dedicated server you wish to change the RAID config on, go to 'Services', and click on 'Reinstall/Change OS' and choose the operating system you want. I hope by now you realize you will need to reformat your hard drive, so make a backup if you need to.

2. When you get to stage 2/3 Choice of the Partitions, select the third option which says 'Other Layout of partitions' and from the dropdown list choose 'RAID Software'.


3. Now we're in the third and last part of the setup process in which we will choose the sizes of the partitions, of which there have to be at least three. Setup your partitions the same way you see below, or if you'd like, you can always add more partitions with different sizes. It's up to you

The Partitions are as follows:
a. Partition 1, Filesystem: 'ext3', Mountpoint: '/', Size: 20,000MB

b. Partition 2, Filesystem: 'swap', Size: 1024MB

c. Partition 3, Filesystem: 'ext3', Mountpoint: '/home', RAID Type: '0', Size: 'All that's remaining'

The Result

After I completed my installation (Ubuntu Desktop) I took this screen from within my /home partition.

UPDATE: My screen shots have gone down, I will repost them once I get home later today