OVH Community, your new community space.

A few questions before I purchase an EG 08 L + ...

Allot
11-04-2008, 12:00
Quote Originally Posted by sandygws
Well, it looks like OVH just lost what would have been a very good customer.

Called to confirm the server was server available - confirmed. Ordered through the site and then received the following email:
Unfortunately it is not possible for you to visit our offices for security reasons and the fact that we ask for proof documents is specified in our terms and conditions. You were presented with a number of options such as fax, scanning the documents, taking a picture with a digital camera (which you said you had and would take them and send it to us) and in the end you decided not to use any of them and requested for a refund. This refund was promptly processed at your request.

I regret that on this occasion it was not possible for you to get the service requested with us, however due to to the nature of our business, it is of utmost importance for us to protect both our services and the sensitive information that we hold.

Allot

sandygws
11-04-2008, 11:50
Sometimes they require proof that you are the owner of the card and are not using it for fraudulent purposes.
Nonsense. I'm not going to send personal documents to complete strangers. Nor have I ever been asked to do so by any company that I have purchased goods or services from in the past.

If even the UK government can't safeguard confidential data, I'm hardly likely to trust a company who don't even have a physical presence, am I?

Andy
11-04-2008, 11:41
This is a security procedure that should be carried out by ALL companies. Whenever you buy on line, checks are done. Sometimes they require proof that you are the owner of the card and are not using it for fraudulent purposes. This is what has happened in this case.

There are many ways to send this info to them.

- You could scan it in and e-mail it.
- You could use a digital camera and take a picture of it and e-mail it.
- You could make copies of the documents and send it via snail mail.
- Use someone else's fax machine or "e-fax"

sandygws
11-04-2008, 11:38
Well, it looks like OVH just lost what would have been a very good customer.

Called to confirm the server was server available - confirmed. Ordered through the site and then received the following email:

Dear Customer,

We have received your payment related to the order nr xxxxxxx received by cb and we would like to thank you for trusting us.

For your security, we would like to check the information that you have provided and specially the identity of the billing contact.

Therefore, we would be grateful if you could send us the following documents as soon as possible in order to validate your order:

If it's an order placed on behalf of an individual:
- copy of your ID (passport, driving license)
- proof of address (utility bill)

Thanks in advance for providing the documents to us
Obviously I called back and asked WTF. After explaining that I don't have a fax machine at home and that I'm not happy about sending personal documents to complete strangers, the guy on the phone didn't want to compromise.

I then offered to take the documents in person to OVH's UK office as I live nearby in central London. Guess what? No can do.

Fair enough. I also offered to pay in cash or by cheque in person at OVH's UK office. Again, no can do.

Getting desperate, I made a final attempt at compromise: I offered to pay directly into OVH's bank account - the account listed on their website.

Again, I was told that this was not possible.

Now, either OVH don't want new customers or they are being ridiculously uncooperative for a reason. Either way, I requested that my payment of £140.99 be refunded immediately.

I have eight dedicated servers with Fasthosts and have NEVER had this sort of nonsense - especially from a UK company.

Would someone in authority at OVH care to comment?

milanyc
10-04-2008, 20:21
I got my server up and ready in less than 15 minutes. Pretty amazing imo.

Andy
10-04-2008, 19:32
Quote Originally Posted by sandygws
1. Is it possible to select a RAID0 configuration?

2. Are there any bandwidth and/or usage caps on the 1 Gbps connection?

3. Is it possible to remotely install an Operating system?

4. Roughly how long does it -usually- take for a “1 hour” server to be up and running?

Thank you.
1. It is possible to break the RAID1 configuration but it is not advised nor supported by OVH.

2. The only cap is whether you are on SLA or noSLA, but you can utilise 1Gbps 24/7/365 if you wanted to.

You will be on SLA if your bandwidth is <101Mbps
You will be on noSLA if your bandwidth is >101Mbps

SLA has no limits.
noSLA simply means that you are limited to 10Mbps per connection per carrier at peak times, if memory serves me correctly.

3. No, you can only use operating systems provided by OVH. This is to minimise setup time but most of all technicians having to deal with your non-standard operating system. The technicians are only trained to deal with linux. Windows comes un-managed.

4. It is approximately 1 hour from receipt of full payment providing the server is in 1 hour stock.

sandygws
10-04-2008, 19:26
1. Is it possible to select a RAID0 configuration?

2. Are there any bandwidth and/or usage caps on the 1 Gbps connection?

3. Is it possible to remotely install an Operating system?

4. Roughly how long does it -usually- take for a “1 hour” server to be up and running?

Thank you.