OVH Community, your new community space.

TorrentFlux

cartwright118
07-03-2009, 09:53
Quote Originally Posted by Palad1n
If you are going to run a few small torrents, use rTorrent, uses far less resources.

Remember the RPS have an iSCSI HDD so performance is not super fast.
Thank you for the advice. I will give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Myatu
Nah, the only difference is when something goes wrong, there are no blue screens but black screens. You're still left wondering "WTF?" the same way as usual
LOL - This is so true! *laughs*

//CJ

Myatu
07-03-2009, 09:46
Quote Originally Posted by cartwright118
I don't know one thing about linux command line lol. - Apart from it being really difficult :P
Nah, the only difference is when something goes wrong, there are no blue screens but black screens. You're still left wondering "WTF?" the same way as usual

Palad1n
06-03-2009, 18:29
If you are going to run a few small torrents, use rTorrent, uses far less resources.

Remember the RPS have an iSCSI HDD so performance is not super fast.

cartwright118
06-03-2009, 09:51
Quote Originally Posted by Seedbox Paradis
The TOS states that any illegal filesharing is not allowed, there is nothing against using torrents for legal purposes, but where in the hell do you find those :O The monitoring software is what OVH uses to monitor the state of your RPS, so you're fine.
Thank you, this has backed up what I thought. No provider encourages sharing copyrighted material. I only got the RPS to learn linux and host a couple of websites. I don't know one thing about linux command line lol. - Apart from it being really difficult :P

Thank you both for the reply.
Chris

The European
06-03-2009, 04:44
Quote Originally Posted by Seedbox Paradis
T...there is nothing against using torrents for legal purposes, but where in the hell do you find those :O
Well, pretty much every full release of Ubuntu from Canonical overwhelms their http servers on launch day so the torrents are a significant part of the distribution mechanism.

It's not just Ubuntu that gets distributed by torrent though; id Software runs a permanent tracker for their patches, linux binaries and demos at zerowing.idsoftware.com.

Having only ever used torrents for non-copyright-infringing material, I've never thought that there was a 'shortage' of legal content delivered by torrent.

Seedbox Paradis
06-03-2009, 02:08
The TOS states that any illegal filesharing is not allowed, there is nothing against using torrents for legal purposes, but where in the hell do you find those :O The monitoring software is what OVH uses to monitor the state of your RPS, so you're fine.

cartwright118
06-03-2009, 01:22
Hi,

I recently got a RPS server off OVH for webhosting, I just wondered if I was to install TorrentFlux to download/seed torrents (legal ones of course) would i be breaking any of the OVH Terms of Service/Use.

I just wanted to ask before I went ahead and installed it.

Also I noticed from the manuals, OVH have monitoring software installed on my RPS, I just wanted to make sure my server security isn't going to be breached because of this and all my data will remain private?

Thank you.
Chris