OVH Community, your new community space.

setup fee

Daniel_G
11-03-2009, 14:51
Quote Originally Posted by slayer2005
Only some do,you do have good resellers who do offer great surpport and do do the right things.
Of course I am sure there are a small set of people out their who are quite good at reselling, but what you'll find is that people only publish reviews when they have something to complain about.

The ratio of negative reviews against positive reviews is very high.

So the majority of reviews regarding OVH, including those from people who have bought servers directly from them, are going to be negative, but this is an unfair reflection on the company...

*Mikee*
11-03-2009, 00:30
lol @ a select few -
A select few.

slayer2005
10-03-2009, 23:09
Quote Originally Posted by rickyday
Who would that be then?
A select few.

rickyday
10-03-2009, 20:23
Only some do,you do have good resellers who do offer great surpport and do do the right things.

Who would that be then?

slayer2005
10-03-2009, 18:20
Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_G
Being very active on another, very popular, web hosting forum, I can say that OVH tends to have a bad reputation because of resellers. These guys come along, resell the servers, then disappear or provide no support or whatever, resulting in the bad experience tarnishing OVH's reputation, even though OVH didn't actually do anything wrong.

Its unlikely, however, that OVH will shut down resellers, since its the only way non-EU customers can get servers, and I bet OVH make a lot of money from non-EU customers through these resellers.

*Mikee*
10-03-2009, 17:57
Yeah i'm thinking the same thing --
Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_G
Being very active on another, very popular, web hosting forum, I can say that OVH tends to have a bad reputation because of resellers. These guys come along, resell the servers, then disappear or provide no support or whatever, resulting in the bad experience tarnishing OVH's reputation, even though OVH didn't actually do anything wrong.

Its unlikely, however, that OVH will shut down resellers, since its the only way non-EU customers can get servers, and I bet OVH make a lot of money from non-EU customers through these resellers.

Daniel_G
10-03-2009, 17:53

iand
10-03-2009, 15:43
Quote Originally Posted by gased
From ovh's terms and conditions

You are still illegal by just reselling those servers.

Also read rule 6.1 of the same page

You should really not advertise that you're reselling ovh's products
maybe oles should start pulling plug on resellers for this reason hed be perfectlley legal to do so as it states cant resell in tos it would also stop ovh fastly becoming the toilet of the internet as least 99% of em are reselling them for illegal torrenting and the rest are just basicaly scam artists that charge double server cost with nothing added basicaly i think ovh should have an affilate scheme where all sales go through there payment gateway and affiliates get a % for the sale

DigitalDaz
09-03-2009, 13:58
Quote Originally Posted by gased

OVH just needs a proper affiliate programme, there are many of us who can provide additional services.

gased
09-03-2009, 12:49

3.1 The Dedicated Server shall remain the property of the Supplier at all times. The
Customer shall not be entitled to sell, transfer, lease, charge, assign by way of
security or otherwise deal in or encumber the Dedicated Server.

Seedbox Paradis
07-03-2009, 23:28
That's a good point as to reselling shared servers, but people are mainly interested in dedicated servers due to the better speed and higher amounts of bandwith. I think its fairly pointless to continue this thread as it serves no purpose.

Palad1n
07-03-2009, 22:29
Good point Myatu...

A XEN based system using OS templates could be built pre-installed with WINE & uTorrent/rTorrent/Transmission or whatever Seedbox wants to provide.

These could be deployed in minutes and for what 20 x Kimsufi boxes cost a Gigabit OVH would be about on par if not cheaper.

Worth looking at Seedbox....

Myatu
07-03-2009, 22:21
Seedbox,

Before I say anything else, I've got nothing against you m8 Just trying to help a bit with your and OVH's business.

With a high turnover, you can't accurately predict the business for next month or some other time in the future. In a business world, you need to be able to do this.

Here's some examples why:

From OVH's point of view: Let's say you make a prediction of 100 new customers next week and you order 100 new servers. Due some bad luck, only 10 customers sign up. Now you're stuck with 90 unused servers.

Okay, so what does it matter if there's 90 unused servers? Well, someone had to:
  • build the servers
  • physically install them in the racks
  • hook them up to the network
  • to check their functioning

And of course the servers use all kinds of other resources, like cabling, additional racks, KVMs, and let's not forget a massive amount of electricity.

While those servers are sitting duck, you still need to pay for them. You can only hope those 10 customers will break even the costs.

Now the other way around, if suddenly 200 customers sign up, you're going to be 100 servers short.

You have to scramble like a madman to get the additional servers built, installed, etc.

In meantime, customer cry foul that you're not able to install servers in 72 hours like promised, they want their money back, complain on all kinds of message boards about mediocre service (costing you even more businesses), and so on.

Another thing, quoting "as the servers are already in place": Never, ever assume things in a business world. What if OVH states there are 3 servers available for 1 hour deployment? By the time you're done filling out the forms to order things, 3 other people might already have ordered the same servers. Guess what? You'll have to wait since you're the 4th in line.

So what can you do? Well, it seems your business inherently has a high turnover, so you need to minimize the load on OVH instead (and I'm not going into a blame-game here).

For example, since seedboxes don't use up a lot of CPU power - just network and storage - start thinking about virtualisation. It doesn't take a tremendous amount of time to set up and it will give you greater control over things: "Want a server in 10 minutes? Done! Want a server for only one hour? Done!".

It'll also maximize utilisation of your servers and therefore your profits. You have 20 servers now (according to your tag). You can easily cut that to 1/4th, keeping the same customer base (thus the same $-£).

Lastly, because you have better control over the servers (and not so dependant on OVH), you can keep a better eye on your own business and in turn make better predictions (you can't expect OVH to make predictions on your business). So, if the pattern shows that on average you're gaining 1 customer a day (given all the customers that rent and toss the servers), then you can plan it. Ie., 1 customer a day means 7 customers a week, it takes 4 customers per server so for the next week you should have 2 new servers ready... Etc.

You solve the problem of set up fees, an annoyed Octave, make better profits, etc.

Now, the virtualisation is just an idea - it may not work for your business (I don't know, I don't run it). But you should be thinking ways to keep control over your own businesses - that's the point.

slayer2005
07-03-2009, 22:16
Quote Originally Posted by oles@ovh.net
> do keep their servers for a good few months, and the fact that I'm
> probably one of the only people arguing against this new setup fee does
> not mean you can bend the truth your way.

You have ordered 4 days ago 4 or 6 new servers. I've checked your
account and you have a tourover higer that 50% !

I dont think 9.99 is unreasonable really.
you still wont find any cheaper in the eu for what ovh offers.
and in simple terms people who dont want a server after 1 month just pay it and resell it to some1 else.tourover % goes down.

oles@ovh.net
07-03-2009, 21:42
> do keep their servers for a good few months, and the fact that I'm
> probably one of the only people arguing against this new setup fee does
> not mean you can bend the truth your way.

You have ordered 4 days ago 4 or 6 new servers. I've checked your
account and you have a tourover higer that 50% !

Seedbox Paradis
07-03-2009, 16:06
I don't want the police to catch me? I don't do anything with these servers Oles, its only my clients that buy them as they wish, and if you read my post correctly, you would have learned that not all of my customers rent these servers for one month, but those that do, usually do so because when something goes wrong with a server and you guys have to fix, it takes a long time for an intervention/reply to a ticket, so don't blame us, blame yourself. And maybe you could stop trying to blame all this on me as most of my customers do keep their servers for a good few months, and the fact that I'm probably one of the only people arguing against this new setup fee does not mean you can bend the truth your way. Do you have any proof that I'm "trying to get away from the police"?

wackomoo
07-03-2009, 15:29
Border line, not brothel

The European
07-03-2009, 14:16
I'm fascinated: Is "bordel line" a concept from French which doesn't translate well into English or does it really mean Bordel/Brothel line?

Or do you mean "border line"? (like copyright infringing torrents and the like?)

oles@ovh.net
07-03-2009, 11:26
Seedbox Paradis a écrit:
>
> ovhfan2;13432 Wrote:
>> Notice the setup charge is only set for the lower-priced servers (up to
>> £99). That might be a company strategy to stop people renting a server
>> for a month and then cancelling it.

>
> Good call an that one mate, they only mentioned it in the thread over
> and over But yes, they don't give the slightest **** that they're
> loosing business.

You have the setup fee because of the customers like Seedbox. He has
a big turnover. He says it's a "moving provider" strategy. He has
some servers in Ovh 1 month, next month elsewhere. Because he has
a "bordel line" activity on the servers and don't want the police
catch him ... The setup fee are here to limit this kind of activity.

Abducted
07-03-2009, 08:52
as the servers are already in place
Well somebody had to put them there didn't they.
Another reason for the setup fees was explained here: http://forum.ovh.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1659
But i see you've 'read' it already...
I'm pretty sure OVH is doing pretty good business wise, so who are you to tell them how to run their business. And even though Oles says the setup fee wasn't intoduced to make more money but just to lower the turnover, even if it was just to make more money?! Why should we complain? Either you already have a server here or if you're looking for a new one you can shop around and maybe take your business elsewhere.
That's what competition is good for. Whether you like it or not, OVH is a commercial business and are out to make a profit the best way they can.
My guess is you're (trying) to make money with your website and the servers 'you' provide too.
BTW, why do a lot of your clients only need a server for a month?!

Seedbox Paradis
07-03-2009, 04:05
Quote Originally Posted by ovhfan2
Notice the setup charge is only set for the lower-priced servers (up to £99). That might be a company strategy to stop people renting a server for a month and then cancelling it.
Good call an that one mate, they only mentioned it in the thread over and over But yes, they don't give the slightest **** that they're loosing business.

tastyweat
07-03-2009, 03:43
They seem to not care that they are losing business due to the setup fee. I can't understand why.

ovhfan2
07-03-2009, 01:10
Notice the setup charge is only set for the lower-priced servers (up to £99). That might be a company strategy to stop people renting a server for a month and then cancelling it.

Seedbox Paradis
06-03-2009, 21:18
Well, what can you do You could stick it to the man with some evil plan that's so evil my head would explode even if I thought of it

russy121
06-03-2009, 21:03
hmmm its silly why they charge customers all ready with acounts with them
where as most other companys wave the setup fees

Seedbox Paradis
06-03-2009, 20:58
This has been talked about over and over again (notice I didn't say debated as OVH tends to "skip over" the threads they don't want to talk about), the setup fee is basically a money maker for the company owners as the servers are already in place and are assigned to each client via a computer system. So to answer your question, everyone gets a setup fee, whether you already have servers rented with OVH or not, and right now, OVH doesn't seem to care that people are hiding away from their servers due to setup fees, maybe they will some other time.

russy121
06-03-2009, 20:45
im looking at adding a SuperPlan Storage to my acount but have just noticed a dirty great setup fee
is that correct for ppl with servers with you allready
and i have noticed that you have 26 allready built so why the setup fee