We are in the process of migrating this forum. A new space will be available soon. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

RPS - Cpanel

Palad1n
09-03-2009, 17:01
Quote Originally Posted by Neil
Hi

You can order a Plesk or cPanel Licence for an RPS in the OVH Manager, however we do not have a preconfigured setup for it so you would have to setup it all by yourself. cPanel can be a higher load on servers compared to Webmin, as Palad1n said you might want to look a light alternatives, I would recommend ISP Config which is better looking than Webmin and is free.
Hi,

ISPConfig uses Apache and SpamAssassin and other standard packages which turn into bloatware on a small server, so watch out for memory usage with ISPConfig, also they are soon to release v3 which allows to select Lighttpd and smaller memory footprint apps (like LXAdmin).

As they are free, just have a play around see what you like the feel of.

Neil
09-03-2009, 11:10
Hi

You can order a Plesk or cPanel Licence for an RPS in the OVH Manager, however we do not have a preconfigured setup for it so you would have to setup it all by yourself. cPanel can be a higher load on servers compared to Webmin, as Palad1n said you might want to look a light alternatives, I would recommend ISP Config which is better looking than Webmin and is free.

Palad1n
08-03-2009, 21:17
Hi,

I would not use cpanel on a RPS.

I would use LXAdmin, very small install & memory footprint, can use Lighttpd instead of Apache.

It is FREE upto 40 domains, has a 8/10 gui, not the best but for simple web hosting it is fine. Cpanel is USD$38 month 'ish and it is bloatware.

I ran 11 servers with cpanel, consolidated down to 6 LXAdmin as they all interact (enterprise license! Not free) you can move hosting around servers dynamically as load increases you add another node.

But if you are going to host more than 40 domains you will need dedicated hardware or more than 10 busy ones!

cartwright118
08-03-2009, 17:32
Hi Guys,

I have an RPS with OVH, I'm not particularly getting on well with Webmin and I would like more of a website hosting control panel. I thought of getting Cpanel on there, installing it and hiring the licence off OVH.

I just wondered if this is possible? - Also how easy is cpanel to install? Fool proof? or complicated? - Baring in mind I dont know one command for linux, apart from 'poweroff' :P

If its not fool proof to install, do you think a technician would install it? I just wanted your thoughts really. I did contact OVH Support on Friday morning and not yet had a reply.

Regards,
Chris.